Golden Assam

Edit tea info Last updated by steepster

From Rishi Tea

The Assam region of Northeast India is famous for its black tea production. The sub-tropical valleys of Assam in which tea is cultivated yield gutsy, bold infusions with full body and flavor. Our single estate Golden Assam is from orthodox manufacture and has an abundance of even grade leaves and golden buds. Its rich liquor is sweet, robust and malty with notes of fruity raisin and date sugar.

About Rishi Tea View company

Thank you to TeaEqualsBliss for sending this tea my way!

I love golden Assam teas! This one is delightful. The flavor is very rich and bold. Very pleasant malty tone and a biscuit-y quality that is quite delectable! I’m really enjoying this cup!

Malty and fairly sweet as well as slightly toasted at the beginning of the sip then the slightly toasted hint seems to fade away. This is bolder than I thought it would be.

It has a sort of astringent type end sip on to the aftertaste but in a good way.

As for the color it is VERY dark.

Rich, malty Assam. Flavors of charcoal, raisin, and a good bit of Yunnan-ish sweet potato flavor. Definitely the best Assam I’ve tried.

I drink Golden Assam with breakfast, usually eggs. It gives me a little pick me up and it tastes delicious. It’s one of my go to teas great all the time. It gets pretty dark like light coffee but isn’t as pungent, if thats the right word, as Darjeeling.

My room mate likes it as well. He has this idea that it tastes creamy, but I think he is delusional some times. He has a habit of lying about things that don’t really matter. I don’t think he’s lying when he says he likes the tea though.

I originally tried brewing this tea just under five minutes (following Rishi’s suggestions), but it was too astringent and a bit bitter. After reading some about assam teas, I now steep it just under 3 minutes, and it brews strong, has a sweetness to it (raisin/date), and an acceptable amount of astringency. I enjoy this tea a great deal.

Smooth, full-bodied flavor: which I like. Other than that, not much stood out.

Aroma: Dark chocolate, rich, hint of woody smoke
Liquor: Rusty red
Flavor: Dark chocolate, a little sweet and malty with a hint of lingering toasted flavor. Rich and bold
Notes: I bought this to use in a chai recipe, but decided to have it alone as well as in my chai. It does take on the spices very well. Anyway, overall seemed like a good cup, well balanced and rich.

Not bad, reminds me of a blend between Golden Yunan and a Darjeeling. A bit on the weak side.