Dragon Well (Long Jing)

Green Tea
Chicken Soup, Grass, Nuts
Edit tea info Last updated by Nik

From Rishi Tea

Dragon Well (Long Jing) is the most famous Chinese green tea, named after the Dragon’s Well landmark in the West lake area of the Zhejiang, where the tea originated. Dragon Well is a pan-fired green tea that is flat fried by hand in large woks one small batch at a time according to an artisan processing technique that yields a tea with leaves shaped like the blade of a sword. Each spring, during the prime Dragon Well harvest, we select a unique quality that has a balance of fresh green and smooth toasted flavors. Rishi’s Dragon Well is mellow and smooth with a fresh bittersweet finish and roasted chestnut aroma.

About Rishi Tea View company

The only other Dragon Well tea I have tried is by Teavana. The first thing I noticed about Rishi’s Dragon Well is the delicate almost floral aroma on the leaves as I opened the package. After it has been steeped the tea has more of a hay and grass aroma. There is a slight nutty flavor with all the clean green tea flavor that you would expect.

Meh
That is how I feel about this tea long story short
-Soapbox
Rishi was my first loose leaf tea company so I will always have a special place in my heart for them. I have never had a bad tea by them and I believe the retail box packages are the best possible way to start tea and getting a footing for loose leaf tea not to mention to date some of the best I have ever had were purchased from their small lot batches on their website. Consistency is hard for tea companies let alone one that offer literally every type of tea available from yellow to pu er. SO with that said Im going to give this tea a “C” that not an insult but rather an indication that a tea of this high of quality does not excite me anymore considering I was the typical american who thought tea was the thing in bag you threw into styrofoam cups on an airplane or when you had a cold.

-Review
I remember there other crop a few years back being “better” a heavier body and more bold taste so I was a little disappointed. But I think it is was my blue collar tea taste because I can tell these leaves are of a higher quality plucking (1/2 leaves ATTACHED to a bud) and a lot brighter in color(usually indicating not from a high output factory" over cooking". Just as I prefer summer harvest over spring Darjeeling’s higher quality/price is not always “tastier”. Still this tea is a great example and high quality once again, I am just spoiled at this point with access to sites that sell teas I can’t afford and should not but do purchase from.

Flavors: Chicken Soup, Grass, Nuts

180 °F / 82 °C 3 min, 0 sec 5 g 8 OZ / 236 ML
Stephanie

hmm, I like green tea but I’ve never found a Dragon Well that I find to be spectacular in any way…shame about the drop in quality!

Jiāng Luo

My wording maybe confusing, the quality went up but it is a “lighter” flavor, sweeter I would say less astringent as well, but I like my chinese greens strong most of the time

Green, round, dark to the back of the throat, light in the front sides and tip of the tongue.

It’s a medium strength tea. A bit astringent. A slight sweettart (plant, not candy) touch to it at the end.

Finish is comfortable but has a bit of an edge. Yes, as I drink it’s definitely drying my mouth.

Not a fan.

180 °F / 82 °C 2 min, 30 sec 2 g 6 OZ / 177 ML

Enjoyed a cuppa last night.

This tea reminds me of early summer. It’s very smooth and bright. What strikes me most though is the lovely sweet lemon-lime undertones.

Great mellow tea, nice pale pear colored liquid when properly brewed. 1st infusion one minute, great earthy roasty taste with a light sweet note.

Smooth brew with a slight nuttiness. A tea that relaxes me.

I treated myself to this somewhat expensive tea and was disappointed. I wish I could say I loved it, but it tasted, to me, of brothy sea water. I got none of the tasting notes described by Rishi and it definitely was not sweet nor had any aroma. I tried making iced tea with it, but still didn’t like it at all. I’ll stay with Rishi’s Ancient Emerald Lily instead.

Very pleasant and mild. Neither overly grassy nor earthy. A little sweetness but not too much. Just about a perfect green tea.

Beautiful, classic Chinese green tea. I can’t get my family to enjoy Japanese green teas (my personal favourite), because their taste buds have been ruined by grocery store bought “green tea bags” their whole lives. But THIS, they love and can’t get enough of! It’s the Chinese green tea taste they’re looking for – but a million times better.