Dragon Well (Long Jing)

Green Tea
Nutty, Sweet, Grass, Vegetal, Dry Grass, Dust, Sweet, warm grass, Chicken Soup, Nuts
Edit tea info Last updated by Samantha Jo Rogers

Available from 1 seller.

From Rishi Tea

Dragon Well (Long Jing) is the most famous Chinese green tea, named after the Dragon’s Well landmark in the West lake area of the Zhejiang, where the tea originated. Dragon Well is a pan-fired green tea that is flat fried by hand in large woks one small batch at a time according to an artisan processing technique that yields a tea with leaves shaped like the blade of a sword. Each spring, during the prime Dragon Well harvest, we select a unique quality that has a balance of fresh green and smooth toasted flavors. Rishi’s Dragon Well is mellow and smooth with a fresh bittersweet finish and roasted chestnut aroma.

About Rishi Tea View company

Rishi Tea specializes in sourcing the most rarefied teas and botanical ingredients from exotic origins around the globe. This forms a palette from which we craft original blends inspired by equal parts ancient herbal wisdom and modern culinary innovation. Discover new tastes and join us on our journey to leave ‘No Leaf Unturned’.

I forgot I had this tea, and it nicely surprised me today. Mellow and delicious, it reminded me of Rishi’s silver needle that I love.

The Tea Farm is giving away 2oz of dragon well free w/ any purchase if you’re interested in trying a different brand. I looove dragon well and can’t wait to try TTF’s version!

Tea 4 Health

This is my go-to-tea! I have always been a green tea fan, but since finding this dragonwell by Rishi, it is hands down my favorite. It a fantastic flavor profile that is smooth and un-intrusive. I enjoy at least a cup a day, normally upwards of 3 :)

The only other Dragon Well tea I have tried is by Teavana. The first thing I noticed about Rishi’s Dragon Well is the delicate almost floral aroma on the leaves as I opened the package. After it has been steeped the tea has more of a hay and grass aroma. There is a slight nutty flavor with all the clean green tea flavor that you would expect.

A very nice dragonwell – slightly sweet and nutty with a nice vegetal kick.

Flavors: Nutty, Sweet

Very nice- classic green tea style. Very tasty indeed! Smooth, nice aroma!

Flavors: Grass, Vegetal

This used to be one of my favorite teas, always fresh tasting and a tea I enjoyed drinking all day long. Ordering direct from their site assured you of getting the freshest available. Unfortunately the sample I received in the March 15 Steepster select box just tastes a bit old and stale. Bleh. Maybe it is the packaging? Anyone else have this experience?

Flavors: Dry Grass, Dust, Sweet, warm grass

Hands down favorite green tea. I am a green tea fan, and since finding this dragonwell by Rishi, it is the only one I drink regularly.

That is how I feel about this tea long story short
Rishi was my first loose leaf tea company so I will always have a special place in my heart for them. I have never had a bad tea by them and I believe the retail box packages are the best possible way to start tea and getting a footing for loose leaf tea not to mention to date some of the best I have ever had were purchased from their small lot batches on their website. Consistency is hard for tea companies let alone one that offer literally every type of tea available from yellow to pu er. SO with that said Im going to give this tea a “C” that not an insult but rather an indication that a tea of this high of quality does not excite me anymore considering I was the typical american who thought tea was the thing in bag you threw into styrofoam cups on an airplane or when you had a cold.

I remember there other crop a few years back being “better” a heavier body and more bold taste so I was a little disappointed. But I think it is was my blue collar tea taste because I can tell these leaves are of a higher quality plucking (1/2 leaves ATTACHED to a bud) and a lot brighter in color(usually indicating not from a high output factory" over cooking". Just as I prefer summer harvest over spring Darjeeling’s higher quality/price is not always “tastier”. Still this tea is a great example and high quality once again, I am just spoiled at this point with access to sites that sell teas I can’t afford and should not but do purchase from.

Flavors: Chicken Soup, Grass, Nuts

180 °F / 82 °C 3 min, 0 sec 5 g 8 OZ / 236 ML

hmm, I like green tea but I’ve never found a Dragon Well that I find to be spectacular in any way…shame about the drop in quality!

Jiāng Luo

My wording maybe confusing, the quality went up but it is a “lighter” flavor, sweeter I would say less astringent as well, but I like my chinese greens strong most of the time

Green, round, dark to the back of the throat, light in the front sides and tip of the tongue.

It’s a medium strength tea. A bit astringent. A slight sweettart (plant, not candy) touch to it at the end.

Finish is comfortable but has a bit of an edge. Yes, as I drink it’s definitely drying my mouth.

Not a fan.

180 °F / 82 °C 2 min, 30 sec 2 g 6 OZ / 177 ML

Enjoyed a cuppa last night.

This tea reminds me of early summer. It’s very smooth and bright. What strikes me most though is the lovely sweet lemon-lime undertones.