Earl Green

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by steepster

From Rishi Tea

The classic citrus aroma associated with Earl Grey comes from an essential oil pressed from a rare citrus fruit called bergamot. We use naturally floral “Pouchong” tealeaves from Taiwan and 100% pure essential oil of bergamot citrus from Southern Italy to create an Earl Grey unlike any other. Sweet, lingering citrus elements harmonize with Pouchong’s floral notes of lilac. Earl Green is one of our best-selling blends.

About Rishi Tea View company

Love this tea! If you’re looking for that Bergamot flavor without the caffeine of black teas this is your tea. Or if you just want a fun tea with a nice sharp flavor, try this.

Ashley Bain

I recently tried an earl white. It was pretty good! This sounds interesting, too.

I cannot stress how much I enjoy my teas with the variable kettle that allows me to brew them at the correct temperature. This was a HUGE step in my tea-enjoying adventure. If you don’t have one, I highly recommend that you buy one. Money well spent, you will be a happy camper.

Rishi recommends brewing this tea, an Oolong, at 185 (as if it was White Tea) and not 195 as an Oolong. Paid attention, brewed just as instructed and happier I cannot be.

The bergamot (very strong in the aroma of this dried tea) is not as strong once brewed, it is a sweet, citrusy and flowery flavor dancing with the tea. A great combination, great the first and – one minute more required – great second infusion too.

-Preface
Wasn’t sure about this concept an “earl grey” oolong, in fact it was in my stash that i stowed away and forget about. Stumbling about the bag I saw the “expiration date” was nearing (purchased a bunch of rishi tea when i first was introduced to tea 3-4 years prior) so I figured now was a good of time as any to try it.
-Review
After just one steeping in im gaiwan I was hooked. I never actually tasted real bergamot oil before only artificial flavorings and scents or somethings other earl greys have included random citrus as a cheaper substitute(orange, lemon, etc). This stuff is the real deal you get that unmistakable zesty bergamot flavor and relaxing scent with the creamy smooth mouthfeel of the oolong. The oolong by itself is super high quality the leaves are big vibrant green and whole pieces but with the inclusion of the best bergamot essential oil you will find. I am a traditionalist(no flavors artificial or natural, no fruits inclusions, no rooibos/herbal etc) but this is one non-traditional tea I will most certainly purchase again. If

190 °F / 87 °C 3 min, 0 sec 4 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

The bergamot personally reminds of that anise, black licorice flavor profile, which i am not too fond of.

I steep this longer and hotter than it says to. People always say that makes green tea bitter. For one thing, I’m kind of into bitter, but in any case it doesn’t make this bitter at all. THIS IS THE BEST TEA IN THE WORLD. It is basically a bergamot delivery vehicle, which is exactly what I wanted, because I am a bergamot junkie. The best part is that you can steep it 3 times and the flavor is good, but different each time. It needs no sweetener; the natural sweetness of the bergamot is in there. If you like bergamot and green oolongs, you will be in heaven.

Boiling 8 min or more

At Zingerman’s, they brew this as an iced tea during the summer – it is absolutely perfect this way. It really allows the citrus from the bergamot and the grassy green flavors to be highlighted. I enjoy it hot as well, but a high temperature never seems to mesh well with the lively flavors.