Houjicha

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by steepster

• “Mmmmmmm... this tea. A green tea, but a beautiful amber infusion, and a lovely roasty flavour. And when I say roasty - I mean it in the best possible way! The PERFECT COMPLIMENT TO SO MANY MEALS....” Read full tasting note
    OhCha 84 tasting notes
  • “Steep Information: Amount:3 tsp Water: 500ml at 185°F Tool: Breville One-Touch Tea Maker BTM800XL Steep Time: 3 minutes Served: Hot Tasting Notes: Dry Leaf Smell:vegetal,...” Read full tasting note
    amazonv 702 tasting notes
  • “The taste is… unlike other green teas. It tastes nutty and buttery. It also has a sweet, honey-like flavor to it. There isn’t much of a grassy or vegetal taste to this green tea. The boldness of...” Read full tasting note
    IdentiTEA 31 tasting notes
  • “Like a lighter version of genmaicha. I'm a big genmaicha fan, but I might even like this a bit more. It has the same toasty, nutty flavor without being overpowering like some genmaichas can be. Yum!” Read full tasting note
    shetheliving 355 tasting notes

From Rishi Tea

Organic Houjicha is a classic style of Japanese green tea made with roasted tealeaves and stems from the autumn and winter harvests. Our Organic Houjicha yields an amber-colored infusion with a smooth flavor and accents of chocolate and roasted barley.

About Rishi Tea View company

Mmmmmmm… this tea. A green tea, but a beautiful amber infusion, and a lovely roasty flavour. And when I say roasty – I mean it in the best possible way! The PERFECT COMPLIMENT TO SO MANY MEALS.

If you’re entertaining, and you’re unsure of which tea to serve with the meal, Genmaicha and Houjicha are always a safe, yet impressive route to take!

And as I will often claim, Rishi provides the best I’ve found in both categories. The look, the smell, the big leaves, the infusion colour… it’s like I can taste Japan…

… and Japan tastes good. REAL GOOD. :)

Steep Information:

Aftertaste: vegetal, gritty
Liquor: translucent dark brown

meh.

Rating: 2/4 leaves

Blog: http://amazonv.teatra.de/2013/01/09/rishi-tea-loose-leaf-green-tea-houjicha/

The taste is… unlike other green teas. It tastes nutty and buttery. It also has a sweet, honey-like flavor to it. There isn’t much of a grassy or vegetal taste to this green tea. The boldness of this tea matches that of oolong tea – roasted notes that linger for quite some time.

This should not be an intro tea to those trying greens for the first time as it is rather bold and astringent. The tea isn’t bitter, but the intensity of the roasted flavor can be a surprise. Although, if you want to drink green tea and you don’t particularly like the grassy taste, this would be a good one to try as it has darker qualities similar to oolong and black tea.

With that said, this is a great tea for those who are tired of the same old stuff. This Houjicha is a rather complex tea and it surprises me every time I take another sip. I have to remind myself that this is a green tea even though the taste is unlike anything else.

Like a lighter version of genmaicha. I’m a big genmaicha fan, but I might even like this a bit more. It has the same toasty, nutty flavor without being overpowering like some genmaichas can be. Yum!

Cofftea

I can definitely see where a person that loves genmai cha would love this even more. Soggy rice and popcorn=icky in my book.

Ricky

Agreed, I like Genmaicha, but Houjicha is definitely better. I’ve only had Den’s version of this stuff.

Finished this up today! Farewell Houjicha! Sad but a part of me is happy I’m finished with another can of tea! It’s incredible how much tea I’ve accumulated over the past few months-years. This one was a nice roasted green. Very warm nutty and toasty in flavor, and it lent itself to blending very well. I often liked mixing this with lemongrass, like today! I steeped this 3 times in a big mug. I might venture to purchase this again one day, but not anytime soon.

This is always on my list of teas that I offer to my friends who “don’t like any kind of tea period”. I think this was the first roasted green I ever tried, so it definitely gets points for nostalgia as well. Rishi delivers as usual with an excellent tea!

Makes me crave some spicy Thai Food to have this tea wash down nicely with!

Sweet, barely a hint of bitterness, very smooth green tea.