Jade Cloud (aka Green Jade)

Green Tea
Green Tea Leaves
Medium
Fair Trade, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

• “Haha, I thought I had previously reviewed this one, but apparently not! Excellent! I'm super distracted right now because oh my gosh, I am dating the sweetest boy ever and am currently over the...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2245 tasting notes
  • “Must. Order. More. Tea. I have such a small hand full of oolongs and greens now which is sad because that's pretty much what I'm going to have in the evening. In fact, I have enough leaf to do...” Read full tasting note
    aug3zimm 911 tasting notes
  • “Finally trying the last of the Rishi teas I ordered during the Mother's Day sale! After my wonderful experience with their Ancient Emerald Lily I was hoping this tea would be similar but alas, this...” Read full tasting note
    Alphakitty 470 tasting notes
  • “I am having a hard time writing this review. This tea makes me think of nothing more than sitting outside on a sunny day in the short grass. Sun is shining on your face, and the sweet scent of the...” Read full tasting note
    wombatgirl 411 tasting notes

From Rishi Tea

Jade Cloud (aka Green Jade), Organic Fair Trade Green Tea Jade Cloud is a special grade of Chinese green tea produced in the high elevation tea gardens of western Hubei, China. Each year, our Jade Cloud is carefully selected from the farmers’ earliest batches of spring tea. Organic Jade Cloud has a mellow and refreshing character that is smooth with low astringency. Jade Cloud’s aroma suggests sweetly toasted chestnut and bluegrass.

About Rishi Tea View company

I brewed and drank this tea out of my large gaiwan Chinese “glass brewing style”. The first sip of this tea surprised me at how smooth, mellow and sweet, with a very strong sense of freshness. The leaves floating around the gaiwan stand out as being an unusually bright green as if they were freshly plucked from the plant even though I know that they are not. This is not a tea to really go deep into and try to find flavor notes as it is just a fresh and mellow summer tea.

Nope…nevermind… I take back the part about multiple steepings. Second and third infusions stay sweet but don’t have the same grassy kick..still good though. I finished the last of this today in the process of making room for some new additions to my tea stash and I forgot how good this one was. I always end up steeping this one a little on the hot side but it still came out sweet with only a slightly astringent aftertaste. The sweetness fades as the tea cools off though.

This tea seems strong enough to maybe make a good iced tea — I left alone for a bit and the room temp this time of year is enough to chill it ;)

nutty, grassy, vegetal and sweet, all in the same cup.

Pretty decent green tea. One of the best I’ve ever had (though that’s not saying much, as I haven’t really had much green tea to begin with haha).

The first infusion was pretty mellow. I brewed it at 175 degrees for 3 min. It lacked flavor when sipped hot, but once it cooled down a bit it was rather tasty. No strong flavors or nuances. Smooth, buttery feel in the mouth. Tastes vegetal, with hints of hay and chestnut. Not anything special

The second infusion was a bit more flavorful, in my opinion. I brewed it at 180 degrees for 4 minutes this time. Same description as above, but with a little more power behind the flavors. Pleased with this tea, and I look forward to trying more greens from Rishi in the future!

This tea is like the perfect party guest. It saunters into your mouth casually and says “Hey…I’m Chinese green tea…what’s up?” It’s not demanding; it mingles with the other guests without any legwork on your part, cleans up after itself all night, and doesn’t overstay its welcome.

In sum: not too grassy, not too nutty, not too creamy…not TOO anything. Perfectly balanced, very light and laid-back. A thoroughly inoffensive, if not quite charismatic, green tea.

Good solid green, nice “roasted” flavors.

laranth

I’m liking this less over time.

My favorite morning green tea now. Hardy, vegetal with a bit of sweetness. Goes well with food, or just a morning tea to clear your head. Bought a tin of this at Whole Foods for a good price. Excellent intro to Chinese green teas.

175 °F / 79 °C

My second Rishi experience, Jade Cloud is an organic and fair trade China green which brews up pale yellow with a touch of green.

The scent and appearance of both the dried and the infused leaves remind me very much of Mao Feng, though this tea is identified by Rishi as “Wulu”. The flavor offers some interesting Long Jing facets as well.

A solid offering, and a yummy lunchtime tea! I made a big pot and will be reinfusing the leaves for a post-dinner decaffeinated green.

(Blazing New Rating #15)

170 °F / 76 °C 3 min, 0 sec 5 g 27 OZ / 798 ML

A nice basic light green tea. There is nothing that stands out about this tea. Its light and refreshing.

This wasn’t as tasty as it usually is today. I can’t figure out why :/

Boiling 2 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML
keychange

I hate it when that happens. :(

Kayla

Yeah :( It’s my go-to morning tea too. I am probably more upset about this than I should be, haha!

keychange

I totally get it. Because then you’re like “is it the tea? is it me? did I brew it wrong? is it the cup/mug/travel mug/vessel? aaahhh!”

Cheri

It’s so frustrating when you have a cup like that. I’ve got one going right now. First steep excellent, second steep, normally also excellent is just wrong. I don’t know what I did.

Kayla

:/ I am sorry to hear that you are having an off tea day as well Cheri.

@Keychange: YES. That was what was going through my mind!