Jade Cloud (aka Green Jade)

Green Tea
Green Tea Leaves
Green, Green Beans, Vegetal, Chestnut, Sweet, warm grass, Mint
Medium
Fair Trade, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

Available from 1 seller.

• “Haha, I thought I had previously reviewed this one, but apparently not! Excellent! I’m super distracted right now because oh my gosh, I am dating the sweetest boy ever and am currently over...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2972 tasting notes
  • “Must. Order. More. Tea. I have such a small hand full of oolongs and greens now which is sad because that’s pretty much what I’m going to have in the evening. In fact, I have enough...” Read full tasting note
    aug3zimm 911 tasting notes
  • “Finally trying the last of the Rishi teas I ordered during the Mother’s Day sale! After my wonderful experience with their Ancient Emerald Lily I was hoping this tea would be similar but...” Read full tasting note
    Alphakitty 470 tasting notes
  • “I am having a hard time writing this review. This tea makes me think of nothing more than sitting outside on a sunny day in the short grass. Sun is shining on your face, and the sweet scent of the...” Read full tasting note
    wombatgirl 411 tasting notes

From Rishi Tea

Jade Cloud (aka Green Jade), Organic Fair Trade Green Tea Jade Cloud is a special grade of Chinese green tea produced in the high elevation tea gardens of western Hubei, China. Each year, our Jade Cloud is carefully selected from the farmers’ earliest batches of spring tea. Organic Jade Cloud has a mellow and refreshing character that is smooth with low astringency. Jade Cloud’s aroma suggests sweetly toasted chestnut and bluegrass.

About Rishi Tea View company

I brewed and drank this tea out of my large gaiwan Chinese “glass brewing style”. The first sip of this tea surprised me at how smooth, mellow and sweet, with a very strong sense of freshness. The leaves floating around the gaiwan stand out as being an unusually bright green as if they were freshly plucked from the plant even though I know that they are not. This is not a tea to really go deep into and try to find flavor notes as it is just a fresh and mellow summer tea.

Nope…nevermind… I take back the part about multiple steepings. Second and third infusions stay sweet but don’t have the same grassy kick..still good though. I finished the last of this today in the process of making room for some new additions to my tea stash and I forgot how good this one was. I always end up steeping this one a little on the hot side but it still came out sweet with only a slightly astringent aftertaste. The sweetness fades as the tea cools off though.

This tea seems strong enough to maybe make a good iced tea — I left alone for a bit and the room temp this time of year is enough to chill it ;)

nutty, grassy, vegetal and sweet, all in the same cup.

Pretty decent green tea. One of the best I’ve ever had (though that’s not saying much, as I haven’t really had much green tea to begin with haha).

The first infusion was pretty mellow. I brewed it at 175 degrees for 3 min. It lacked flavor when sipped hot, but once it cooled down a bit it was rather tasty. No strong flavors or nuances. Smooth, buttery feel in the mouth. Tastes vegetal, with hints of hay and chestnut. Not anything special

The second infusion was a bit more flavorful, in my opinion. I brewed it at 180 degrees for 4 minutes this time. Same description as above, but with a little more power behind the flavors. Pleased with this tea, and I look forward to trying more greens from Rishi in the future!

This tea is like the perfect party guest. It saunters into your mouth casually and says “Hey…I’m Chinese green tea…what’s up?” It’s not demanding; it mingles with the other guests without any legwork on your part, cleans up after itself all night, and doesn’t overstay its welcome.

In sum: not too grassy, not too nutty, not too creamy…not TOO anything. Perfectly balanced, very light and laid-back. A thoroughly inoffensive, if not quite charismatic, green tea.

Good solid green, nice “roasted” flavors.

laranth

I’m liking this less over time.

My favorite morning green tea now. Hardy, vegetal with a bit of sweetness. Goes well with food, or just a morning tea to clear your head. Bought a tin of this at Whole Foods for a good price. Excellent intro to Chinese green teas.

175 °F / 79 °C

Thank you Rishi for the sample. I had this in a tea bag that was a free sample from Midwest Tea Fest. I won’t give a proper full review with elaborate Gongfu tasting notes (since it’s in a tea bag), but I think that when you’re looking at bagged green teas, this is a great one. The leaves are whole and the flavor is that of authentic Chinese green tea. It’s very vegetal and green tasting with some classic hints of green bean that you’ll sense in a lot of Chinese greens. I don’t typically buy bagged teas, so it’s not one I’d buy again, but It was nice and light, fresh tasting. I’d say this one veers more toward grassy and leafy than toward nutty or earthy, on the green tea flavor spectrum. It’s a good product for a person who likes tea bags… and it came in the nice pyramid shaped mesh tea bag to really give the leaves room to open and expand, which is helpful to the overall flavor. Thanks for the sample, Rishi Tea!

Flavors: Green, Green Beans, Vegetal

This sample was included as part of my March 2015 Steepster Select box, celebrating a variety of teas from China. I was happy to see this sample among the others as it is a bit like seeing an old friend whom you enjoy the company of, and can’t remember why you have been out of touch.

Steeped in accordance with the instructions on the packet (1 tsp/4 g per 8 oz, 185 F), in a small glass teapot so that I could watch the leaves dance over the 2.5 minute brewing time. Aroma is delicate and refreshing, Sweet Grass and Sunshine with a hint of nuttiness. The taste is wonderfully much the same. A very beautiful example of the green tea of the Hubei Province. Much tamer and more sophisticated than Yunnan greens, and no astringency like you find in many Japanese greens. A truly wonderful cup of tea.

Flavors: Chestnut, Sweet, warm grass

Drank this tea at 1:30AM since I couldn’t sleep last night.. My tastebuds may not have been awake, but here goes.
I brewed this at 175 degrees for 2 minutes. It comes out as a very light greenish-yellow color and smells very vegetal. The taste is only slightly vegetal, but has a lot of nutty flavors. I don’t generally like nuts, but this tastes like water chestnuts. I thought it kinda tasted like unsalted pistachios at first, but I think it’s more like those canned water chestnuts that people eat for some reason..
Anyway, I’ll steep this one again tonight if I can stay awake long enough. Overall, a good tea, but not my cup of tea due to the overly nutty flavor.

The second steep of this (2.5 min) was much more smooth and didn’t have the powerful nut notes. I enjoyed the second steep a whole lot more :)

Flavors: Chestnut, Vegetal