Kukicha

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by steepster

• “This tea was so unexciting the first time I had it, it's been sitting in my pantry for the past 5 months, ignored and unloved. But with *The Final Sipdown: Day 3* approaching rapidly, I decided to...” Read full tasting note
    aug3zimm 911 tasting notes
  • “This was my 1st order from Rishi and only my 2nd tea that I know of that was Rishi. I've had their matcha prepared at a cafe once. But I could have well tried a sample of something at my local tea...” Read full tasting note
    Cofftea 865 tasting notes
  • “Hello. Meet my absolute favourite COLD-BREW tea in the entire world!!!!!!!!!!!!! Organic Kukicha. (This tea is unbe-freaking-lievable. I probably have at least 1 pot a day. Not counting the...” Read full tasting note
    OhCha 84 tasting notes
  • “Bought some at the bulk section of Central Market. I was intrigued by the beautiful parakeet yellow-green stems and the description of a creamy, low astringency, umami brew. It smells like... God,...” Read full tasting note
    j4zzin 39 tasting notes

From Rishi Tea

Kukicha is noted for its fresh green flavor and low astringency. Our Organic Kukicha has an emerald green infusion and creamy mouthfeel with a balanced bittersweet and umami flavor.

About Rishi Tea View company

This tea was so unexciting the first time I had it, it’s been sitting in my pantry for the past 5 months, ignored and unloved. But with The Final Sipdown: Day 3 approaching rapidly, I decided to do some prep work and used up about half of the remaining sample. For one really big cup. Okay, the initial idea was to decupboard more than one tea today, but I do not need to drink 40-some oz of green tea at a go, so it’s being split in half. Plan on seeing this one go bye-bye tomorrow.

It’s not as bad as I remember it but it’s still not super-tasty. I decreased the steep time by a minute and that helped it a lot – there is a fair amount of astringency but it doesn’t dip into bitterness like it did at 3minutes. I’m sure being abandoned in my pantry for months and months has not helped it any as far as freshness but it was still acceptably tasty. I tend to prefer deeper steamed senchas and this one doesn’t have that same sweetness or quite the same thickness I’d get with one of those, but as lighter steaming goes, it’s nifty.

This was my 1st order from Rishi and only my 2nd tea that I know of that was Rishi. I’ve had their matcha prepared at a cafe once. But I could have well tried a sample of something at my local tea shop (they have 7 per day) that was indeed Rishi.

While I absolutely loved Rishi’s daily sales they had last month, I wasn’t going to cave because I have neither the money or the storage space. Til I saw this one. The tea itself didn’t really grab me, it’s the recipe for sole they have on the info page that suckered me in. I’m also also determined to learn to be able to define exactly what umami is, specifically in teas so I want to try every umami tea I can get my hands on. When it comes to trying a recipe for the 1st time I’m very anal about making it verbatum, yes even down to the brand of tea.

As I said before, I have very little experience w/ Rishi’s products and even less experience w/ dealing w/ their company directly but my 1st experience wasn’t a very positive one. I learned a very important lesson: when trying a new company, especially if your purchase will be a small one, investigate shipping. My purchase consisted of just this 50g (1oz is ~28g) pouch of tea which I got for only $3.75 (regularly priced $10) which costed $8 to ship an entire 90 miles. What’s worse, it was supposed to take 4 days to get here (quite long in my book), but ended up taking 9! I can order something from Adagio all the way in NJ, only pay $3.75 for shipping, and get it in a week.

Not only was this my 1st experience ordering from Rishi, it was also my first Kukicha. I opened the pouch and was quite surprised to see 2 different kinds of leaves- tiny, dark green grass clipping like leaves and longer, yellowish green blades. And the smell… Now I’m normally very good about not letting the smell of the raw leaves affect my perspective (I am a huge fan of Adagio’s white cucumber after all lol), but this is… how do I even discribe this? Putrid. That’s it. It smells like wet, moldy hay. Yuck. Oh well. I’ll give it a shot.

The steeping instructions suggest 1TB in 8oz of water heated to 185 degrees for 3-4min. Except for the amount of leaf (which seems like a lot), this seems awfully suspicious of the general steeping times for all greens, including Japanese, that most companies suggest so I went to Den’s Tea’s website to see what they suggest because I know their steeping parameters are unique to each type of tea. Yep. I was right. Den’s suggests 1tsp of leaf steeped in 6oz of water heated to 180 degrees for only 45 sec. Well, I’ll try Rishi’s steeping parameters 1st then try Den’s and compare them.

The discription of this says the liquor is emerald, but that isn’t true. It’s more “the person that used the bathroom before me didn’t flush and I can tell they have a urinary tract infection.” Thank God the aroma is virtually nothing like the raw leaves. There is an extremely faint hay like taste but that is easily covered by the bitter sweet (but definitely more sweet) flavor that they said I should expect. I’m also not getting the creamy mouth feel they discribe.

Conclusions: Surprisingly good tea even using their steeping parameters, but I wish they’d have more unique steeping parameters. I can’t wait to make the sole recipe. I’ll try different brands to compare both flavor and price, but if I decide that this is indeed the Kukicha for me, I’ll be buying it my local tea shop for $5.75/oz (and for every $100 spent I get $5 off). I also have 2 pu erh recommendations that are Rishi. I’m absolutely terrified of pu erh and I don’t want to waste money on something I don’t like so I’ll be buying those locally as well. My tea shop has an awesome return policy. The shipping is just absolutely not worth it, even if the products are.

TeaEqualsBliss

They have some interesting stuff

Cofftea

2nd infusion, 4 min. Definitely not the “That person needs an antibiotic” liquor of the 1st infusion although it is more cloudy and opaque. Like a dark chicken stock? And the flavor… holy sweeTEAness! While there is definitely a light savory note in the the background. This infusion is not bittersweet at all. Just sweet.

Cofftea

3rd infusion, 5 min. Liquor is very much like infusion 2. Flavor is solid, crisp, clean, and sweet. While not creamy in taste at all, I think I might be starting to get the “creamy” mouthfeel that they discribe. Although I’d call it clean and smooth. The word creamy to me implies a thick texture, and that definitely doesn’t apply here.

Cofftea

4th infusion, 6 min. Hmmm… Interesting. Very white tea-esk both in liquor and taste. I like it!

Wiseman Tea Co.

I enjoyed reading your detailed review of Kucicha. Towards the end you mentioned that you’re terrified of Pu-erh I’m curious to hear why? I watched a documentary stating that in China Pu-erh bricks are valued in excess of a million dollars. I wonder if Pu-erh will ever gain popularity in the U.S. market.

Cofftea

The one I tried was absolutely vile, but I’m gonna be brave and try a chocolate pu erh tomorrow. Really only because it’s chocolate lol. Especially since there’s also rooibos in it, and I’m not a fan of that either.

Wiseman Tea Co.

I admire your courage! Initially, I was a bit put off by the smell. In fact a customer of mine described it as poo erh once, real original right? But I began to appreciate Pu-Erh because of the complexity, and body of the brew. Thick and malty it has the consistency of a cup of coffee. I look forward to hearing your review of a flavored pu-erh, I cannot imagine what that is like.

Phil Hovatter

I’ve had a serious approach / avoidance conflict brewing inside of me regarding pu erh. I still haven’t tried it (being a noob, I still have many things that don’t give me pause that I want to try), but I created a baby steps custom blend on Adagio. It’s 50% peach oolong, 20% cinnamon, and 30% of the dreaded pu erh dante. I haven’t tried it yet (I have to get the coin together to actually buy it), but I designed it to be a gentle introduction to the world of pu erh. If any robust sole would like to be my guinea pig and report on your experience, I would be greatly appreciative. You’ll find it in Adagio’s blends section under the catchy name of (wait for it…) Peach Pu Erh.

Cofftea

If you like chocolate, give Numi’s Chocolate pu erh a shot!=D

Organic Kukicha.
(This tea is unbe-freaking-lievable. I probably have at least 1 pot a day. Not counting the steady supply of cold-brew harios in my fridge.)

Hario Pitcher + 2 Tblsp Kukicha + Fill to top with COLD water.
Leave in fridge for 4+ hours. Enjoy! Feel free to re-infuse and do it all over again.
(Tip: a splash of warm water before filling the hario with cold water does a nice job of getting the leaves to open up if you like it a teeny bit more pronounced.)

Seriously… try it.
And FYI you can find the Hario Pitchers I’m referring to on Rishi’s website. I own 6. Best investment I’ve ever made. Ever. And when any of you try it… let me know afterward how you feel about it. We’ll embrace.

(P.S. Word on the street is that if you use the coupon code “GIVETEA10” on Rishi’s website, you get 20% off your order. Get a hario! And by street, I mean my inbox.)

Has anyone found a favourite Kukicha from any other tea company? I’m just curious. I tried one from Adagio one time… meh… didn’t compare. And it was powdery. I want full twigs n leaves people!

Tea Love and Care

Hey Oh Cha! Great Kukicha review. I’ve wanted to try the green tea Kukicha myself but haven’t had a chance. I did, however, try (and LOVE) The Tao of Tea’s Kukicha. There are no green tea leaves in it, just straight-up twigs. It is the smoothest tasting tea I’ve ever had. It brews up rather dark and has a mild nutty/chocolate flavour.

The twigs are pretty thick, so in comparison to your method of refrigeration, I actually boil this tea in water for about 2-4 minutes. It really releases the flavours. It also tastes great after cooling down during the day.

You’ve got me really interested in these Hario pitchers and cold brews.

Cheers,

Bought some at the bulk section of Central Market. I was intrigued by the beautiful parakeet yellow-green stems and the description of a creamy, low astringency, umami brew. It smells like… God, does anyone remember the crackers ’Munch’Ems’? They were delicious, thin, salty, buttery, savory crackers I loved as a kid. The leaves smell like Munch’Ems mixed with onigiri wrapped in a big sheet of nori. The tea itself is light, creamy, and no astringency to speak of. Not something I am in the mood for every day, but when I want it, it hits just the right spot. P.S. Rishi’s instructions are 1 tbsp for 3-4 minutes, but I used only a teaspoon for 1.5 minutes the first brew, and 2.5 minutes the second time.

I’m back been busy but I’m back
BACKLOG: I saw this at whole foods and loved the color bought a bag.
Very creamy and grassy with some sea-spray essence to it :)

Tried the 2010 Shincha version of this. Quite enjoyable, displays a rounded flavour profile with some nutty elements. Fairly simple but nicely refreshing.

Price: $9USD for 50grams
Buy again: Maybe

Shinobi_cha

Their Gokubo 1st flush Fukamushi Kukicha is awesome; I definitely recommend ($8.50 for 50g)

camw

Thanks, got more tea than I know what to do with at the moment, but will definitely add it to the list to try!

Shinobi_cha

Yeah; that makes sense… it seems like one they carry normally, not one of those seasonal specials that may not come back, so there’s probably a good chance it will be available often.

Trying the Kukicha again – This time with less loose tea, although I kept the steep time and temperature about the same. (A little cooler, because I was distracted.)

Again, I am in love with the fragrance of this tea, both loose and steeped. It reminds me of Gyokuro- rich and fresh and creamy. The flavor was also much better with less loose tea. This steep completely lacked the bitterness that I had noticed the first time I made it. It’s smooth and has a subtle richness to it. Definitely a new favorite.

I also did a cold resteep for 2 hours, and it was excellent. Very sweet and delicate.

I was looking for another green with distinct personality and a friend suggested Rishi’s, Kukicha. Beautiful bright green mix of chopped leaves and pale green stems yields a crystalline, emerald green cup. Clean and vegetal, much like a good dragon well, but toasty like a good genmaicha, without the rice. A lovely tea if you want a refreshing, sprightly green, with a fine and distinct character.

This is the first Japanese green tea that I have had. I had no expectations going into the sitting besides to have a different experience.

I rather enjoyed this tea. The taste of this green tea is much different than greener oolongs. The tea was savory with flavors of bean and grass, very mouth-watering. The texture was also very smooth and creamy. Very mellow and approachable. I infused it in a porcelain gaiwan, using enough tea to cover the bottom and then some. It lasted maybe 3-4 infusions before drifting into a light and sweet grassy water.

I’m not sure where Rishi Tea site within the pantheon of Japanese green tea providers, but their kukicha provides quite an enjoyable afternoon drink, if a little short.

I like this one quite a bit. Been steeping it every evening for the past week. Finishes my day off nicely. A very pleasant tea.