Kukicha

Green Tea
Cut grass, Hay, Sweet
Edit tea info Last updated by steepster

From Rishi Tea

Kukicha is noted for its fresh green flavor and low astringency. Our Organic Kukicha has an emerald green infusion and creamy mouthfeel with a balanced bittersweet and umami flavor.

About Rishi Tea View company

This is the first Japanese green tea that I have had. I had no expectations going into the sitting besides to have a different experience.

I rather enjoyed this tea. The taste of this green tea is much different than greener oolongs. The tea was savory with flavors of bean and grass, very mouth-watering. The texture was also very smooth and creamy. Very mellow and approachable. I infused it in a porcelain gaiwan, using enough tea to cover the bottom and then some. It lasted maybe 3-4 infusions before drifting into a light and sweet grassy water.

I’m not sure where Rishi Tea site within the pantheon of Japanese green tea providers, but their kukicha provides quite an enjoyable afternoon drink, if a little short.

I like this one quite a bit. Been steeping it every evening for the past week. Finishes my day off nicely. A very pleasant tea.

I needed the savory today! Satisfied. Now onto something a little more vegetal.

Rishi Tea bills this kukicha as having a creamy mouthfeel, and indeed it does. Unfortunately that is not quite what I am looking for in a green tea. The woody-ness added in this tea from the twigs makes this tea a hearty brew. 1 tablespoon per 8oz of water at 185 F for 3.5 minutes, per Rishi Tea’s directions.