Iron Goddess of Mercy

Oolong Tea
Autumn Leaf Pile, Dried Fruit, Maple, Meat, Smoke, Umami, Chestnut, Flowers, Vanilla, Baked Bread, Nuts, Roasted Barley
Edit tea info Last updated by Lee

2 Images

• “I wanted to revisit this tea and give it a proper evaluation for 2 reasons... 1.) This tea is still by far my favourite oolong. And Rishi must have just released their latest and greatest crop...” Read full tasting note
    OhCha 84 tasting notes
  • “Thanks to fellow Steepsterite, *Tamm*, I have a hefty pouch of this tea in my drawer at work. It's great for work since I can just sprinkle some leaves in a mug and fill it with hot water over and...” Read full tasting note
    Mercuryhime 518 tasting notes
  • “After a whole day of studying I'm glad to relax with this cuppa! This tea has such tiny little rolled leaves. :3 super cute! While steeping the smell of this reminds me somewhat of brown rice or...” Read full tasting note
    Tamm 538 tasting notes
  • “Hurrah! An incredible oolong with _fantastic_ floral notes, a bright flavour with a subtle sweetness. Rishi has upped the game with this Iron Goddess - a tea worthy of rolling in the Oolong gang...” Read full tasting note
    amber 221 tasting notes

From Rishi Tea

A specially baked tea made to order for Rishi Tea each spring and winter. Tae Guan Yin is known as Iron Goddess of Mercy and is the most famous oolong tea. Our special grade of this tea is hand-harvested from the soft stem Wu-Yi tea bush cultivar that is descended from the original tea bushes introduced to Taiwan from Fujian in the 19th Century. Made according to the traditional Tae Guan Yin oxidation and bamboo coal baking techniques developed in China’s Fujian province, our Iron Goddess of Mercy is a special treat for oolong tea lovers. Our Iron Goddess of Mercy has a light golden-amber infusion with a smooth body and sweet finish. Its aroma is profoundly reminiscent of baked grain and dried apricot.

About Rishi Tea View company

I definitely have enjoyed this tea. It really has a delicious, bold flavor that stands out. I agree with Mercuryhime though in that the first two infusions are the best, even if that is not typical for oolong.

Awesome toasty flavor. I can’t stop drinking this stuff. I think I’m going to get 6 or so full infusions from these leaves.

The raw tea has a dry aroma, somewhat of grain and fruit.
Brewed, the tea is a golden color with an aroma that is roasty, perhaps of toasted nuts.

First Steeping: Moderate flavor, with floral notes and a toasty nuttiness. Almost no astringency.
Second Steeping – Same temp 5 minutes: Very similar to first steeping. No astringency.
Third Steeping – Same temp 8 minutes: A bit milder than the last steeping. Three is probably all that can be had out of this tea.

I really like this tea though I don’t get the floral notes others detect. To me, it smells like dried ripe fruit, tastes like roasted grains, and has an underlying sweetness that’s hard to describe. I make it in a gaiwan and use quite a bit of leaf. I use enough tea to the gaiwan will be almost full once they unfurl. I start with a 15 sec. infusion (after washing the tea) and add 15 more seconds to each subsequent infusion. This tea takes multiple infusions very well and fully develops by the 3rd infusion.

Another big plus for me is that I can get this at my local tea merchant for a reasonable price (actually cheaper than buying it directly from Rishi’s website), so, when the mood strikes, I don’t have to wait a few days to get it, I can just drive a few blocks and restock.

This has become my favorite tea. The color, scent, and taste are all fantastic!

This has been one of my favorite tea experiences! The first cup I made was a sensory delight – notes of smoky sweetness, dried fruit, autumn maple forest, and even an umami sort of meatiness making for a rich mouthfeel – it was strong and complex, but perfectly balanced and also refreshing. Somehow I have never been able to recreate the strength and depth of that first cup, but I’ve enjoyed each brew nonetheless (ok, maybe just a bit the less, but still a favorite!)

Lot 1036361

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Dried Fruit, Maple, Meat, Smoke, Umami

200 °F / 93 °C 2 min, 0 sec 8 g 16 OZ / 473 ML

A nice addition to the Rishi Offering. Astringent, scents of ripened apricots cradled in a musky wooden box. Subtle and fleeting sweetness beckons additional sips.

Another Sipdown, this one from Lee. I wish I had more to say about it, but I drank it hours ago, so really, all I can say is I enjoyed it. Lightly roasty…

Picked up a few teaspoons of this tea at Whole Foods today, along with a few others. This was the one that my wife and I decided to try first, and we loved it! The dry leaf smelled vegetal and slightly unpleasant, but the aroma of the first steep was wonderful. There were some vegetal notes, but they were balanced with all the other notes (I noticed some nuttiness and a some roasted grain smell). The flavor of the first steep was also delicious—a great combination of delicate and hefty. The flavors (which were the same as the aroma) were strong, but not overpowering. The flavors of the second steep were more delicate. This is only my second oolong, but if this and the previous one are any indication, oolong will have to become a semi-regular staple of my tea cupboard!

I thought I knew what good tea was until I had 4 cups of this tea! Wow!