Iron Goddess of Mercy

Oolong Tea
Chestnut, Flowers, Vanilla, Baked Bread, Nuts, Roasted Barley
Edit tea info Last updated by Lee

2 Images

• “I wanted to revisit this tea and give it a proper evaluation for 2 reasons... 1.) This tea is still by far my favourite oolong. And Rishi must have just released their latest and greatest crop...” Read full tasting note
    OhCha 84 tasting notes
  • “Thanks to fellow Steepsterite, *Tamm*, I have a hefty pouch of this tea in my drawer at work. It's great for work since I can just sprinkle some leaves in a mug and fill it with hot water over and...” Read full tasting note
    Mercuryhime 500 tasting notes
  • “After a whole day of studying I'm glad to relax with this cuppa! This tea has such tiny little rolled leaves. :3 super cute! While steeping the smell of this reminds me somewhat of brown rice or...” Read full tasting note
    Tamm 536 tasting notes
  • “Hurrah! An incredible oolong with _fantastic_ floral notes, a bright flavour with a subtle sweetness. Rishi has upped the game with this Iron Goddess - a tea worthy of rolling in the Oolong gang...” Read full tasting note
    amber 221 tasting notes

From Rishi Tea

A specially baked tea made to order for Rishi Tea each spring and winter. Tae Guan Yin is known as Iron Goddess of Mercy and is the most famous oolong tea. Our special grade of this tea is hand-harvested from the soft stem Wu-Yi tea bush cultivar that is descended from the original tea bushes introduced to Taiwan from Fujian in the 19th Century. Made according to the traditional Tae Guan Yin oxidation and bamboo coal baking techniques developed in China’s Fujian province, our Iron Goddess of Mercy is a special treat for oolong tea lovers. Our Iron Goddess of Mercy has a light golden-amber infusion with a smooth body and sweet finish. Its aroma is profoundly reminiscent of baked grain and dried apricot.

About Rishi Tea View company

Light but warm, floral yet toasty. I am a fan. I enjoyed watching the small rounded balls of tea unfurl in my clear teapot. It’s a pretty tea. There is a great smooth body, and a light, pleasant finish to this tea. To the nose, it imparts a toasted, almost barley flavor, and upon tasting a floral buttered taste takes over. Could be enjoyed on a daily basis!

This is my first Iron Goddess and I don’t regret trying it. Compare to all of the Oolong tea I’ve had in my life, this is way more soothing. It is one of the tea that I can keep drinking forever! I have to make sure that I always have this in tea my cabinet.

Excellent, but don’t buy it from Zingerman’s. Kind of overpriced.

Just tried this one. It took me a few sips to get into it but once I did, I knew this oolong would be a staple in our cupboard. It sneaks up on you and steals your heart away. It is light, earthy and reminds me of sunlight hitting the Autumn leaves. The more you drink it, the deeper in love you fall. Great tea.

Another one of my favorite daily teas – I could drink this one forever. I love the woody, earthy notes and the fact that they don’t overpower the heady oolong flavor. If I ever run out of this tea, life seems a little dull somehow.

This was my second tieguanyin. My first was from Teavana, which tasted a bit stale. This is much better. Although, I wasn’t blown away. It’s too light to be an everyday tea, and too subtle to impress. I would almost keep it stocked. It’s slightly perfumed, and has a light roasty flavor. I prepared it gongfu style, in a gaiwan.

It’s a beautiful golden color that reminds me of white wine. A hearty Oolong that would be perfect after some oriental cuisine. I like it.