Plum Oolong

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by mindala

• “This tea is left over as part of an ancient Christmas present (I think, from almost 2 years ago). This is one of the only teas I've liked that has hibiscus in it. I tried adding a bit of stevia but...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2307 tasting notes
  • “This came in the mail today, on one of the few times a year (or decade) that it snows in Texas. The UPS man was thoughtful enough to prop my doormat on top of the box to shield it from the falling...” Read full tasting note
    zildjianpride 176 tasting notes
  • “Wow, I was a little bit worried about the plum being too sweet in this one, but it isn't. The oolong makes a great complement to this pleasantly subdued fruit tea. This feels cozy, and great as a...” Read full tasting note
    lisbet 267 tasting notes
  • “Woo, it's been awhile since I pulled this one out! I made some to go (in my shiny new IngenuiTEA!) before heading to the dojang to sip before class and then enjoy cool later. I'm typically not...” Read full tasting note
    j4zzin 39 tasting notes

From Rishi Tea

The succulent essence of Asian plum and the tart, floral influence from wild schizandra berries infuse our select oolong tealeaves with unique fruity flavor. The blushing pink infusion is pleasantly tart, naturally fruity and wonderfully aromatic. This is a signature Rishi blend that’s organic flower scented tea base and natural fruit curing style was designed by our own head tea blender from the farm source to our tea blending room.
Ingredients: Organic oolong tea, Organic schizandra berries, Organic rosehips, Organic Fair Trade Certified™ hibiscus, natural plum flavor and Organic osthmanthus flowers.

About Rishi Tea View company

This tea is left over as part of an ancient Christmas present (I think, from almost 2 years ago). This is one of the only teas I’ve liked that has hibiscus in it. I tried adding a bit of stevia but that was overkill, it doesn’t really need sweetener I guess. Nice combination of fruity and tart, the oolong is hard to detect here but I do like this blend overall. See previous notes, if interested.

ps. also resteeps rather nicely.

This came in the mail today, on one of the few times a year (or decade) that it snows in Texas. The UPS man was thoughtful enough to prop my doormat on top of the box to shield it from the falling snow. Southerners really are more friendly! I’ve been here for 6 months, but the little things like this continue to amaze me on a daily basis. Granted, I grew up in New Jersey, king of assholes, so the fact that people don’t flip other people off for no reason really blows my mind.

Anyway, about the tea. It steeps to a very pretty color that’s hard to describe. It’s kind of like pink mixed with orange mixed with yellow. If you want to know what it really looks like, check it out here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/47736372@N04/4382845180/

The smell is actually like wine. It’s intoxicating and fruity, inviting you to take a sip. I couldn’t help but oblige. It tastes exactly like it smells. It’s mostly floral with a hint of plum. Upon tasting, it’s obvious that this is a plum tea. It really does taste like plums. And I love plums. For just tasting floral and fruity, it’s surprisingly complicated. This is going to require many cups to get a full idea of what I’m tasting. I’ll let you know!

theKENnection

Great photo!

wombatgirl

Ooo.. sounds lovely

Ricky

Ohhhh, look at that tumbler!

Erin

Ah, yes, my Teavana tumbler. Love it!

__Morgana__

Is that the Tea Rhapsody? Mine just arrived today. I’m opening it as I type.

Wow, I was a little bit worried about the plum being too sweet in this one, but it isn’t. The oolong makes a great complement to this pleasantly subdued fruit tea. This feels cozy, and great as a holiday tea. Too much red fruit tea winds up tasting to me like jello mix, when you first pour the boiling water into it, but this is much more complex than the jello-tea genre. Perhaps if I’d steeped it too long it would have gone in a bad direction. I think the key to letting the oolong shine through in this tea is not to brew it with boiling water, and to stick to under 5 minutes. Glad to have some more of this ’round the house.

Woo, it’s been awhile since I pulled this one out! I made some to go (in my shiny new IngenuiTEA!) before heading to the dojang to sip before class and then enjoy cool later.

I’m typically not into hibiscus (as delicious as a Starbucks passion tea lemonade is, would you believe that after almost 4 years of working there it’s possible to get tired of them?), but it’s such a light note that it adds a pretty blushing pink color and just a touch of tanginess. The oolong in this acts more as a check for all the tangy and sweet ingredients to keep it balanced, but I’m still asking myself, “Is there really oolong in this?”

This one is light and feminine. It is sophisticated, but it also doesn’t take itself too seriously. I like that it doesn’t have that overbearing flavor you find in many fruity herbal blends, and it’s a nice change of pace for a minimalist like me.

Fruity and sweet. I could taste a hint of the oolong but overall, just another pleasant, inoffensive flavored tea.

Gah, Rishi, NO! No hibiscus! That is what I hate about so many fruity teas, they feel the need to hibiscus it. Luckily they didn’t overdo it, but it would be nice if they (grocery store tea “they”) didn’t depend on it. The oolong is less prominent than in the Rishi peach I just had. The aftertaste is vaguely plum like and it also has a mild sweetness to it, like the peach. Very unexciting.

Skysamurai

I agree! The obsession with hibiscus is annoying!

Dustin

I don’t get it at all! Especially when restaurants offer hibiscus tea that is nothing but hibiscus. Who drinks that?!

Steep 2: Flavor seems dulled, but otherwise the same. The leaves are leaving beautiful purple and pink spots on my white steeping cup.

Delicious! Fruity but with tartness rather than much sweetness. This just rocketed to the top of my new favorite teas list.

Rishi describes the flavor of this oolong “succulent” and I must agree. The plum flavor is so robust it’s juicy. The other ingredients add an exotic tart flavor. The oolong is very mellow. It brings joyousness and energy. “The stash” didn’t last long. This cup proved to me, a loose-leaf plum oolong is a welcome friend.

Tastes very strongly of plum and hibiscus. It pretty much stomps all over the oolong. I think I’ll try giving this a shorter steeping time next to see if the flavors don’t fight each other as much.