Wuyi Oolong

Oolong Tea
Caramel, Mineral
Edit tea info Last updated by Lee

2 Images

• “Backlogging. 3 days ago. Tuesday afternoon. I haven't had an oolong in forever and it sounded like a good thing that day. This met my need and it was like I remembered it, yet it wasn't. The...” Read full tasting note
    chrine 545 tasting notes
  • “We are having a lazy afternoon, went to the gym and had Chinese food for lunch, then took a nap. I've had this tea for a while and while I was gravitating away from wuyi oolongs a bit, we both...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2339 tasting notes
  • “So, after complaining about the pong of this tea yesterday, given that my cold keeps getting worse, I decided "maybe if I can't smell it, I won't care" and opted to try to use some up. Generous...” Read full tasting note
    jimmarks 323 tasting notes
  • “Ever since I read Rishi's description of this, which includes the phrase "raisin sugar," that's all I can think of when I drink this tea. Which works, because that's exactly what this tastes like...” Read full tasting note
    shetheliving 355 tasting notes

From Rishi Tea

The cliffs of Northern Fujian’s Wuyi Mountains are an important tea producing area with a long history. Oolong tea was first produced in Wuyi and this region’s soil type, microclimate and unique tea bushes produce exquisite oolong. Our Organic Wuyi Mountain Oolong has a smooth and rich body with a classical roasted aroma and sweet finish, Known as Wuyi Qi Lan or “Profound Orchid,” its flavor is quite unique with sweet notes of raisin sugar, honeysuckle and roasted barley. Organic Wuyi Mountain Oolong is great with any meal and makes superb cold tea for the summer season.

About Rishi Tea View company

Pretty decent, but unremarkable. It has a toasty aroma, but tastes much more earthy—almost musty.

I’ve found that it starts becoming bitter right around the 5 min mark. Definitely better if you stay below that limit for steeping.

This Oolong is extraordinary, it leans towards the black tea side, with a robust flavor. Loved it!

Wonderful earthly flavor with a hint of flowers. I can drink this all the time – at least three or four steepings.

Rishi has some great teas. This would not be one of them. The batch I bought had what I can only describe as a sharp, acrid, almost chemical-like taste. Not at all pleasing, especially after having experienced some exceptional oolongs recently, including a great Darjeeling oolong and several great tie kwan yins (Iron Goddess). I gave my Wuyi to a coworker, who finished it in a few weeks. Hey, different strokes.

Roasty Toasty Graham crackers come to mind with a hint of caramel, less mineral taste(what wuyi are known for) than other wuyi’s but still a great toasty oolong. Short and simple Im a fan of this one and at less than $5/oz I think its a great staple to keep in mind as a daily wuyi, but no means is this a home only reserve but for the price I think its got everything one could want in a wuyi.

Flavors: Caramel, Mineral

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 30 sec 4 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

I can’t remember the last time I had oolong… I remember this one being green and honey-like, but it appears to be a shui xian instead of qi lan now. It has a nice soft toasty roasted aroma that melds with the ripe fruit flavors of shui xian. I’m not sure if I’d say it’s all that complex for a Wuyi oolong, but it’s quite enjoyable.

Boiling

Mildly smokey, or peat flavored. A drinkable tea, especially on a cold winter day.

Wuyi Oolong is a full bodied tea with a sweetness that is far more forward that that of most other green or black teas. It’s as if each leaf were swept ever so lightly with honey and then left to oxidize and develop a rich hearty flavor. This delicious juxtaposition is why I am positively obsessed with Wuyi Oolong.

Wuyi Oolong is a fantastic nightcap tea. It enhances whatever mood you’re in. If you’re exhausted, it will relax you even further. If you’re amped, you’ll have even more energy. After a long day, tough workout or late evening, steep a cup and roll with the vibe du jour.

Very cool flavor and texture. A wonderful tea experience.

Great classic oolong. It reminds me of the tea you get in Chinese restaurants, but better.