Wuyi Oolong

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea Leaves
Cocoa, Cut grass, Dark Chocolate, Earth, Raisins, Roasted, Mineral, Burnt Sugar, Sweet, Caramel, Floral, Fruity
Fair Trade, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

Available from 1 seller.

• “Backlogging. 3 days ago. Tuesday afternoon. I haven’t had an oolong in forever and it sounded like a good thing that day. This met my need and it was like I remembered it, yet it...” Read full tasting note
    chrine 545 tasting notes
  • “We are having a lazy afternoon, went to the gym and had Chinese food for lunch, then took a nap. I’ve had this tea for a while and while I was gravitating away from wuyi oolongs a bit, we...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2800 tasting notes
  • “So, after complaining about the pong of this tea yesterday, given that my cold keeps getting worse, I decided “maybe if I can’t smell it, I won’t care” and opted to try to...” Read full tasting note
    jimmarks 330 tasting notes
  • “Ever since I read Rishi’s description of this, which includes the phrase “raisin sugar,” that’s all I can think of when I drink this tea. Which works, because that’s...” Read full tasting note
    shetheliving 355 tasting notes

From Rishi Tea

The cliffs of Northern Fujian’s Wuyi Mountains are an important tea producing area with a long history. Oolong tea was first produced in Wuyi and this region’s soil type, microclimate and unique tea bushes produce exquisite oolong. Our Organic Wuyi Mountain Oolong has a smooth and rich body with a classical roasted aroma and sweet finish, Known as Wuyi Qi Lan or “Profound Orchid,” its flavor is quite unique with sweet notes of raisin sugar, honeysuckle and roasted barley. Organic Wuyi Mountain Oolong is great with any meal and makes superb cold tea for the summer season.

About Rishi Tea View company

Rishi Tea specializes in sourcing the most rarefied teas and botanical ingredients from exotic origins around the globe. This forms a palette from which we craft original blends inspired by equal parts ancient herbal wisdom and modern culinary innovation. Discover new tastes and join us on our journey to leave ‘No Leaf Unturned’.

Pretty decent, but unremarkable. It has a toasty aroma, but tastes much more earthy—almost musty.

I’ve found that it starts becoming bitter right around the 5 min mark. Definitely better if you stay below that limit for steeping.

This Oolong is extraordinary, it leans towards the black tea side, with a robust flavor. Loved it!

Wonderful earthly flavor with a hint of flowers. I can drink this all the time – at least three or four steepings.

Rishi has some great teas. This would not be one of them. The batch I bought had what I can only describe as a sharp, acrid, almost chemical-like taste. Not at all pleasing, especially after having experienced some exceptional oolongs recently, including a great Darjeeling oolong and several great tie kwan yins (Iron Goddess). I gave my Wuyi to a coworker, who finished it in a few weeks. Hey, different strokes.

Our Wuyi Oolong has recently been disco’d and is no longer available.

2073 tasting notes

I thought I had added this to my cupboard. It is too late now as we just finished this. This was the first tea of tea party, and my guest said, “Pour it out.” It is only the second time that has ever happened, the first time being a puerh. Having had tea time together for years now, she knew it wouldn’t hurt my feelings.

I thought it was just all right, a typical though lackluster rock oolong. Youngest didn’t care for it and poured her cup into mine. I didn’t mind it, but I won’t be buying it again. Glad to be rid of one more package, even if it turned out that I had never added it to my cupboard here!

Drowning myself 6-26-15 #6

I brewed this twice, which is cutting this tea short… and I found it to have multiple notes of flavor throughout my sips. An enjoyable tea, but just on the mediocre side as far as wuyi oolongs.

MMMMMmmmmm this is good. Dry it smells like a rou gui, there is a cinnamon scent to it. Steeped it’s more like burnt sugar and caramel with a bit of woody oolong. For me this is a well balanced, interesting, really nice dark oolong. I like dark roast, but this isn’t really roasty, just heavily oxidized with a hint of burnt. Awesome.

Method of brewing: gaiwan

Leaf to water ratio: I filled the gaiwan 50% with leaves, the rest water

Temperature: Around 205 degrees farenheit, I let the water just barely come to a boil and then sit for a minute or two.

Rinse: I did a “flash-rinse”, pouring water into the gaiwan and then immediately pouring the water out. I only did one rinse.

I steeped this tea for 20 seconds the first infusion, second infusion, and third infusion. For the fourth infusion, I steeped the tea for 30 seconds. This tea feels like it can go on for 3 or 4 more infusions before it starts to go flat in taste.

The tastes are ordered from most noticeable to least noticeable.

The first taste that immediately jumps out at me is that of cocoa. It is a pleasant taste reminiscent of dark chocolate. However, there is not the bitterness that cocoa frequently has — it is less bitter. The second taste that jumps out at me is a cut-grass type flavor; slightly sweet. The third taste that I pick up is that of milk or cream; very slightly there, and almost more of a mouthfeel than a taste. Finally, there subtle tastes that I cannot quite put a finger on which just add to the pleasant taste of the tea.

The mouthfeel is as if you drank milk— slightly viscous. It has a slight dehydrating feel, not nearly as bad as coffee but I feel that if I were to drink a lot of this tea I would need to drink a glass of water.

Additional notes:
This tea feels like it would make a good desert-tea, for when you are craving something like chocolate.

Flavors: Cocoa, Cut grass, Dark Chocolate

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Overall, a very nice and mineral-y oolong. I didn’t enjoy it as much as I wanted to, but I’m also at work and had a crazy morning, so it was only slightly warm when I got to drink it. Very clean tasting, but it was also kinda heavy. Tastes of earth, raisins, and roasty goodness. I think I have another wuyi that’s not quite as oxidized, so that might be the taste difference that I’m experiencing.

Flavors: Earth, Raisins, Roasted