Wuyi Oolong

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea Leaves
Cocoa, Cut grass, Dark Chocolate, Earth, Raisins, Roasted, Mineral, Burnt Sugar, Sweet, Caramel, Floral, Fruity
Medium
Fair Trade, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

Available from 1 seller.

• “Backlogging. 3 days ago. Tuesday afternoon. I haven’t had an oolong in forever and it sounded like a good thing that day. This met my need and it was like I remembered it, yet it...” Read full tasting note
    chrine 545 tasting notes
  • “We are having a lazy afternoon, went to the gym and had Chinese food for lunch, then took a nap. I’ve had this tea for a while and while I was gravitating away from wuyi oolongs a bit, we...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2719 tasting notes
  • “So, after complaining about the pong of this tea yesterday, given that my cold keeps getting worse, I decided "maybe if I can’t smell it, I won’t care" and opted to try to use...” Read full tasting note
    jimmarks 325 tasting notes
  • “Ever since I read Rishi’s description of this, which includes the phrase "raisin sugar," that’s all I can think of when I drink this tea. Which works, because that’s...” Read full tasting note
    shetheliving 355 tasting notes

From Rishi Tea

The cliffs of Northern Fujian’s Wuyi Mountains are an important tea producing area with a long history. Oolong tea was first produced in Wuyi and this region’s soil type, microclimate and unique tea bushes produce exquisite oolong. Our Organic Wuyi Mountain Oolong has a smooth and rich body with a classical roasted aroma and sweet finish, Known as Wuyi Qi Lan or “Profound Orchid,” its flavor is quite unique with sweet notes of raisin sugar, honeysuckle and roasted barley. Organic Wuyi Mountain Oolong is great with any meal and makes superb cold tea for the summer season.

About Rishi Tea View company

Pretty decent, but unremarkable. It has a toasty aroma, but tastes much more earthy—almost musty.

I’ve found that it starts becoming bitter right around the 5 min mark. Definitely better if you stay below that limit for steeping.

This Oolong is extraordinary, it leans towards the black tea side, with a robust flavor. Loved it!

Wonderful earthly flavor with a hint of flowers. I can drink this all the time – at least three or four steepings.

Rishi has some great teas. This would not be one of them. The batch I bought had what I can only describe as a sharp, acrid, almost chemical-like taste. Not at all pleasing, especially after having experienced some exceptional oolongs recently, including a great Darjeeling oolong and several great tie kwan yins (Iron Goddess). I gave my Wuyi to a coworker, who finished it in a few weeks. Hey, different strokes.

Method of brewing: gaiwan

Leaf to water ratio: I filled the gaiwan 50% with leaves, the rest water

Temperature: Around 205 degrees farenheit, I let the water just barely come to a boil and then sit for a minute or two.

Rinse: I did a “flash-rinse”, pouring water into the gaiwan and then immediately pouring the water out. I only did one rinse.

Steeps:
I steeped this tea for 20 seconds the first infusion, second infusion, and third infusion. For the fourth infusion, I steeped the tea for 30 seconds. This tea feels like it can go on for 3 or 4 more infusions before it starts to go flat in taste.

Tastes:
The tastes are ordered from most noticeable to least noticeable.

The first taste that immediately jumps out at me is that of cocoa. It is a pleasant taste reminiscent of dark chocolate. However, there is not the bitterness that cocoa frequently has — it is less bitter. The second taste that jumps out at me is a cut-grass type flavor; slightly sweet. The third taste that I pick up is that of milk or cream; very slightly there, and almost more of a mouthfeel than a taste. Finally, there subtle tastes that I cannot quite put a finger on which just add to the pleasant taste of the tea.

Mouthfeel:
The mouthfeel is as if you drank milk— slightly viscous. It has a slight dehydrating feel, not nearly as bad as coffee but I feel that if I were to drink a lot of this tea I would need to drink a glass of water.

Additional notes:
This tea feels like it would make a good desert-tea, for when you are craving something like chocolate.

Flavors: Cocoa, Cut grass, Dark Chocolate

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Overall, a very nice and mineral-y oolong. I didn’t enjoy it as much as I wanted to, but I’m also at work and had a crazy morning, so it was only slightly warm when I got to drink it. Very clean tasting, but it was also kinda heavy. Tastes of earth, raisins, and roasty goodness. I think I have another wuyi that’s not quite as oxidized, so that might be the taste difference that I’m experiencing.

Flavors: Earth, Raisins, Roasted

I’m making my way through the Rishi oolong sampler (a real delight) and particularly love this darker oolong—it feels more grounded and robust than many oolongs and has a lovely roasted, earthy quality while still offering up lighter, sweet notes. A nice morning wake-up tea or afternoon pick-me-up, especially on colder days. Delicious!

Flavors: Burnt Sugar, Earth, Raisins, Sweet

Got this one as a Christmas gift. It’s a dark roasted oolong. I got two dark oolong’s for Christmas and usually the light oolongs are my favourites.

Anyway, I brewed it up this morning according to the directions from Rishi. It’s a pretty strong tea with rich roasted graininess and a bit of sweetness. Shared it with Hubby this morning. It was pleasant enough but even on the 2nd infusion I couldn’t detect any orchid notes that they claim is there. Maybe as it becomes weaker with each infusion , orchid notes might come out. There definitely was raisin notes.

Even though this tea is good, I don’t think this is the type of tea I will reach for very often.

Flavors: Raisins, Roasted

Another sipdown way up high in the sky!

Roasty Toasty Graham crackers come to mind with a hint of caramel, less mineral taste(what wuyi are known for) than other wuyi’s but still a great toasty oolong. Short and simple Im a fan of this one and at less than $5/oz I think its a great staple to keep in mind as a daily wuyi, but no means is this a home only reserve but for the price I think its got everything one could want in a wuyi.

Flavors: Caramel, Mineral