White Peony

White Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Jillian

From Rishi Tea

White Peony (Bai Mu Dan) is the most common style of traditional white tea and consists of two tealeaves and a silvery bud. Bai Mu Dan is prized for its smooth, sweet flavor and slightly woody, toasted aroma. Gentle processing and a unique withering process result in an amber-orange infusion with low astringency, weighty mouth-feel and a mild flavor that pairs well with most foods.

About Rishi Tea View company

I used two teaspoons of dry tea leafs in a 4 oz gaiwan. The tea was very delicate, as most white teas are. It had definite notes of chestnuts; slightly astringent. I timed three minutes for the second steep. The second steep was much more mellow and less astringent. The steeped leafs what I would describe as a “warm” floral aroma to it; something that reminded me of holidays late in the year.

Wow! This white tea has some life to it. Usually I think of white teas as bland and unexciting-you know that kind of tea that is used as a base in fruit blends; not bad, but not interesting. This tea has a nice nutty quality to it. It tastes almost like a lighter version of an oxidized oolong. Good stuff.

Beautiful White Tea, would go well with Pasta….I appreciate all the work Rishi goes thru to provide exquisite teas. (Whoever wrote the description up top hit the nail on the head.)

This tea has a very light flowery scent. It is a very light and pleasant tea.

A light, grassy/nutty flavor.

Always a great compliment to a savoury meal!

As with all the Rishi teas I’ve tried, I enjoyed this one. I hadn’t had white tea before, but this certainly isn’t what I had expected. I followed the instructions and used 2 tablespoons for an 8-ounce serving. The infusion was indeed “amber-orange,” as the description says; I suppose I had expected it to look more like a green tea. The taste was interesting as well—much less delicate and much more rich than I had expected (although it definitely was mild, subtle, and delicate—just less so than I expected). I’m not sure I could yet identify what flavors there are yet; I’d have to give it a few more tries. My wife tried some; she finds green teas too subtle for her liking, but enjoyed this. Make of that what you will.

First of all, the leaves seem oddly abused. Instead of large white peony leaves, it’s rather broken up. I bought this tea as packaged in a box and sold in a store, so maybe it was mishandled somewhere along the way. I consider white peony to be the prototype flavor for other whites such as silver needle. Unlike silver needle, this tea doesn’t hide behind any subtle flavors. The dry leaves smell almost like roasted grain and earth. The flavor is full with surprisingly little astringency considering how strong I brewed it. The flavor is quite strong, it has a roasted grain or maybe burnt sugar flavor, and notes of plum. The plum flavors remind me of shui xian, which might not be too far off considering the amount of copper colored leaves in this tea.

195 °F / 90 °C 3 tsp 6 OZ / 177 ML

Nutty and earthy, just the way I like my white teas.

I’m going to have to play with the steeping temp and time on this one.