White Peony

White Tea
Camphor, Cucumber, Nectar, Perfume, Flowers, Gardenias
Edit tea info Last updated by Jillian

From Rishi Tea

White Peony (Bai Mu Dan) is the most common style of traditional white tea and consists of two tealeaves and a silvery bud. Bai Mu Dan is prized for its smooth, sweet flavor and slightly woody, toasted aroma. Gentle processing and a unique withering process result in an amber-orange infusion with low astringency, weighty mouth-feel and a mild flavor that pairs well with most foods.

About Rishi Tea View company

I used two teaspoons of dry tea leafs in a 4 oz gaiwan. The tea was very delicate, as most white teas are. It had definite notes of chestnuts; slightly astringent. I timed three minutes for the second steep. The second steep was much more mellow and less astringent. The steeped leafs what I would describe as a “warm” floral aroma to it; something that reminded me of holidays late in the year.

Wow! This white tea has some life to it. Usually I think of white teas as bland and unexciting-you know that kind of tea that is used as a base in fruit blends; not bad, but not interesting. This tea has a nice nutty quality to it. It tastes almost like a lighter version of an oxidized oolong. Good stuff.

Beautiful White Tea, would go well with Pasta….I appreciate all the work Rishi goes thru to provide exquisite teas. (Whoever wrote the description up top hit the nail on the head.)

This tea has a very light flowery scent. It is a very light and pleasant tea.

A light, grassy/nutty flavor.

Always a great compliment to a savoury meal!

This is my first White Peony experience outside of Shang Tea, owned by Zehua Shang, who specializes in white tea, has won pretty high awards for his White Peony, and farms the tea himself, so his tea is direct from the source to the customer. Thus, beware of my bias.

That said, I’ve never felt compelled to purchase Bai Mudan from any other vendors since Shang’s is top notch, and even better I live near the store so I can go and purchase it firsthand and enjoy some tea with the awesome employees. This Rishi white tea only landed in my cupboard because I was at a local grocer to try samples of some loose teas they had in bulk bins. I saw this and thought I’d give it a try since I could sample it very cheap this way.

After a steep or two, the leaves are very green and smell perfumy. I drank the first steeping before starting my review, so my review will start with the second. I am brewing this Gongfu style. This infusion is more yellow than the last, which was a bit pale.

The aroma of the liquor is lightly floral and I’m picking up hints of camphor, to my surprise. The flavor is smooth and lightly green with just a touch of nectar-like sweetness. There are very subtle green and juicy notes like a fresh cucumber. As it cools more and as I get into the third infusion and beyond, there is a copper-like mineral taste, subtle, but there.

The flavor overall is somewhat soft though, bordering on too soft, even after allowing the tea to cool some. I know not all teas are created equal, but I’m using the same amount of leaf I always have with White Peony. I think perhaps I’ve been spoiled on amazing white tea and now that I’m trying one from a less-specialized vendor (meaning their company doesn’t have a specific specialty for white tea), I am seeing now why so many people claim that white tea “tastes like nothing” to them. Indeed, if this white tea from Rishi is more indicative of what white tea is like outside of the high-end vendors, I can see that white teas can be very subtle. I have had a few silver needle teas from sources other than Shang Tea and some were very lacking in flavor or depth, while others were quite robust, so I guess the amount of flavor in white tea can really vary.

While I don’t think this White Peony from Rishi is particularly complex or thick in flavor, I do think it is good, and I think that for the mid-range loose tea market it is a good offering. If you aren’t looking to pay top dollar for your white tea or are looking for the convenience of being able to purchase it at some grocers nearby (currently I only know of Whole Foods selling this, but there may be others), this tea is worth the money. The flavor is pleasant and mild. It was a pleasant experience to drink it, and biases aside, I feel happy to have drank it.

Flavors: Camphor, Cucumber, Nectar, Perfume

185 °F / 85 °C 0 min, 45 sec 2 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

May need to play around with steep time and leave quantity. Could be better if I get the right balance. Bitter first go.

Flavors: Flowers, Gardenias

6 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

As with all the Rishi teas I’ve tried, I enjoyed this one. I hadn’t had white tea before, but this certainly isn’t what I had expected. I followed the instructions and used 2 tablespoons for an 8-ounce serving. The infusion was indeed “amber-orange,” as the description says; I suppose I had expected it to look more like a green tea. The taste was interesting as well—much less delicate and much more rich than I had expected (although it definitely was mild, subtle, and delicate—just less so than I expected). I’m not sure I could yet identify what flavors there are yet; I’d have to give it a few more tries. My wife tried some; she finds green teas too subtle for her liking, but enjoyed this. Make of that what you will.

First of all, the leaves seem oddly abused. Instead of large white peony leaves, it’s rather broken up. I bought this tea as packaged in a box and sold in a store, so maybe it was mishandled somewhere along the way. I consider white peony to be the prototype flavor for other whites such as silver needle. Unlike silver needle, this tea doesn’t hide behind any subtle flavors. The dry leaves smell almost like roasted grain and earth. The flavor is full with surprisingly little astringency considering how strong I brewed it. The flavor is quite strong, it has a roasted grain or maybe burnt sugar flavor, and notes of plum. The plum flavors remind me of shui xian, which might not be too far off considering the amount of copper colored leaves in this tea.

195 °F / 90 °C 3 tsp 6 OZ / 177 ML