White Peony

White Tea
Camphor, Cucumber, Nectar, Perfume, Flowers, Gardenias
Edit tea info Last updated by Jillian

From Rishi Tea

White Peony (Bai Mu Dan) is the most common style of traditional white tea and consists of two tealeaves and a silvery bud. Bai Mu Dan is prized for its smooth, sweet flavor and slightly woody, toasted aroma. Gentle processing and a unique withering process result in an amber-orange infusion with low astringency, weighty mouth-feel and a mild flavor that pairs well with most foods.

About Rishi Tea View company

First of all, the leaves seem oddly abused. Instead of large white peony leaves, it’s rather broken up. I bought this tea as packaged in a box and sold in a store, so maybe it was mishandled somewhere along the way. I consider white peony to be the prototype flavor for other whites such as silver needle. Unlike silver needle, this tea doesn’t hide behind any subtle flavors. The dry leaves smell almost like roasted grain and earth. The flavor is full with surprisingly little astringency considering how strong I brewed it. The flavor is quite strong, it has a roasted grain or maybe burnt sugar flavor, and notes of plum. The plum flavors remind me of shui xian, which might not be too far off considering the amount of copper colored leaves in this tea.

195 °F / 90 °C 3 tsp 6 OZ / 177 ML

Nutty and earthy, just the way I like my white teas.

I’m going to have to play with the steeping temp and time on this one.

Enjoyed my first cup. Surprisingly (and pleasantly) sweet!