Puerh Bordeaux

Medium
Fair Trade, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Jude

From Rishi Tea

All-Organic ingredients: fair-trade certified pu-erh tea, red wine grape skins, blackberries, raspberries, lavender flowers.

This blend honors the cultural parallels between pu-erh tea and bordeaux wine – a pair of ancient beverages richly steeped in tradition and history… Both of these treasured libations benefit from the richening effect of aging, ripening to develop a complex, nuanced character. Together, pu-erh tea and red wine grape skins of various bordeaux varietals like cabernet sauvignon, merlot and cab franc create a smooth, supple sip with a refined structure and notes of dark fruits, cocoa nibs and a hint of fig.

About Rishi Tea View company

Thank you for the sample cookies!

This is interesting…tart and a little sweet from the wine and earthy from the puerh. I preferred the 2nd cup I made which I lightly sweetened, which means this is not going on my shopping list even though I enjoyed it! (don’t like to sweeten my teas regularly)

Sipdown!

I got this in the Overboard TTB. I’m really going to miss it. It’s not something I craved often, but it was a nice treat when I had it. Very smooth and rich tasting. I may need to put in an order with Rishi eventually just to get more of this.

In other news, I put in an order with Herbal Infusions two weeks ago and haven’t gotten the package yet. I know it needs to cross the border, but that still seems like a long wait. I looked at some of the recent reviews for the company and it sounds like other people have ended up waiting quite a while for their shipments. I really hope it gets here soon so I can add a few things to the TTB I’ll be sending out in February.

Veronica

My grocery store had this tea on sell last week, so I picked up a box. I’m looking forward to trying it.

rosebudmelissa

I haven’t seen anything like it, and I really enjoyed it, too. It’s definitely worth a try.

It appears I underleafed this. It was missing the figgyness I had hoped for, but I do think it will come out more when I read the directions before eyeballing an amount that wasn’t even correct. The “earthiness” here was really comforting. It reminded me of hiking through the woods. The bit of fruit/fig flavor made it seem like an abnormally cool summer day in said woods. I liked it, but I am definitely looking forward to steeping the correct amount. I’ll withhold my rating until then.

cookies

I didn’t find any fig in it either, sadly. Very grape-y and berry. I never follow Rishi’s instructions either, they always call for a full TBS in 8oz no matter the tea which is usually way too much.

This tea is a really good pu’er blend. Lots of wine flavor with grape, cedar, blackberry and fig notes. Bit of tart and dryness. The pu’er isn’t heavy, fermenty or weird – but quite woody and creamy. This blend is pretty good iced too!

Full review on my blog, The Oolong Owl http://oolongowl.com/pu-erh-bordeaux-rishi-tea-tea-review/

I’ve had this tea in my cabinet for about 8 or 9 months now. On my first review of it I gave it a pretty low rating. Then I tried to swap it. Nobody wanted it. So it sat in my cabinet. So I’ve been thinking of just throwing it out but thought I’d give it another try. I’ve been using multiple pre-steeps on my pu-erh teas that has been working out quite nicely. Usually 10, 10, 15, 20 & 25 sec before I even drink a cup. With this I did 10,10 & 15 and threw it away. I figured too many steeps beforehand would wash away the bordeax flavour. So I brewed the 4th steep at 20s. It is actually quite good. The grape/red wine taste is very subtle , a light earthiness, sweet fig notes. Okay, back in the cupboard it goes. Lesson learned. You don’t like a tea- Try ALL different brewing methods before throwing away.

I can’t believe I didn’t even taste the red wine flavour in my other review! This cup is delicious!

Flavors: Earth, Fig, Red Wine

1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Cheri

Your palate could just be a lot more developed now than it was 8-9 months ago, too? Or your tastes changed?

Ubacat

That could be. I wasn’t drinking that much pu-erh then. I definitely think the brewing method had a lot to do with it. On the box it says to brew for 5 min. I probably did that without any pre-steeps and I bet the strong pu-erh overpowered any other notes/flavours.

This is definitely one of my favorites. Rishi has outdone themselves with this new line of tea. http://onthebean.com/shop/tea-bags/pu-erh/rishi-tea-pu-erh-bordeaux-tea-bag-organic-fair-trade-tea-blend-15-ct.html