Ancient Tree Earl Grey Organic Fair Trade

Oak wood, Spicy, Whiskey
Edit tea info Last updated by Stephanie

From Rishi Tea

Earl Grey is a British tea classic and the most popular tea of the Western World. This citrus-scented tea blend dates back to the 19th Century Sino-British trade of opium, tea, silk and porcelain. Our bestselling Organic Earl Grey blends bold-flavored Yunnan Dian Hong harvested from antique tea trees with natural Bergamot citrus from Southern Italy. It is the perfect organic blend of America’s most popular tea and is frequently complimented as the best Earl Grey ever.

Water: 212˚F / Boiling / Leaves: 1 tablespoon per 8 ounces / Infusion Time: 4 minutes / Ingredients: Organic Fair Trade Certified™ black tea and natural essential bergamot oil. / Origin: Rishi Blend.

About Rishi Tea View company

Rishi Tea specializes in sourcing the most rarefied teas and botanical ingredients from exotic origins around the globe. This forms a palette from which we craft original blends inspired by equal parts ancient herbal wisdom and modern culinary innovation. Discover new tastes and join us on our journey to leave ‘No Leaf Unturned’.

This is one of the better super market organic teas I’ve come across. The brewing is really touchy, and I think I prefer using less than a tablespoon of leaves. Do not, and I repeat, do not over-steep this tea; the bergamot will overtake most of the tea’s flavor and give you a wicked devil’s brew. I’ve gotten heartburn from it before. If you’re not pleased with the flavor, I recommend toying around with your brewing strategies.

I love this earl grey! I’ve probably tried 20-30 earl greys looking for the perfect one. This one is really bold but not astringent with the perfect balance of non-perfumy bergamot! It’s strong enough to hold up well to some milk or cream, yum! Oh, and the second steep still has a lot of flavor.

Horrible, much too strong Bergamot flavoring on top of bitter tea leaves that tastes as though they’ve been salted. It honestly tastes like Tibetan Yak Butter tea(without the redeeming quality that Yak butter tea is in fact supposed to taste like that), but with the low quality taste of lipton’s brewed at too strong of a strength. I’ve tried brewing at all different temperates and times, and I honestly hate this tea. It is organic though, so that’s good. If I could stand the extreme bergamot and salty taste, I might enjoy this. Perhaps I just got a bad tin of it, but I generally trust my whole foods with tea quality for mainstream brands.

This is easily my favorite tea, and I drink it every day. It’s a great Earl Grey with a full-body flavor, but the bergamont isn’t overpowering. Good, solid staple.

Flavors: Oak wood, Spicy, Whiskey

I’ve had this (sealed) tin for a year or two, but when I first opened it the smell was as strong as if it had been blended yesterday. The black leaves appear to be almost be oiled – I’m not sure if that’s the oil of bergamot or if that’s their natural appearance.

The bergamot is strong in both scent and flavour almost to the point of being unpleasantly pungent when I tried drinking the tea without milk. With the addition of milk it’s much better, but the bergamot is still a bit strong for my preferences. It brings to mind Adagio’s Earl Grey Bravo though this is a bit smoother and more refined than that one. I seem to be having difficulty finding jut the right earl grey – most of the ones I’ve tries either go too light on the bergamot or add too much.

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML