Gyokuro Yame

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by SuMo

1 Tasting Note View all

• “This tea is truly a treat. I just made some with my friend and we can't help but smiling at each other. It is so delicate yet rich with flavor. The dry leaf is emerald and full of oils. The wet...” Read full tasting note
    SuMo 16 tasting notes

From Rishi Tea

Crop 2oo9, Yame, Fukuoka Prefecture, Japan

Yame is one of the most important Gyokuro-growing regions in Japan, which produces between 40-50% of all Gyokuro. Yame is an ancient tea culture area established by a Buddhist monk who planted tea seeds in 1423 AD. Today, Yame Gyokuro is prized for its balance of sweet, umami and fresh flavors, complimented with low bitterness and pleasantly light astringency. This top grade of Yame Gyokuro has an elegant, fresh green and bright, somewhat milky lemon yellow infusion color. Use enough tea and brew with skill to find the stimulating evergreen, sweet and umami flavors that this tea offers. One serving makes three wonderfully rich infusions.

About Rishi Tea View company

1 Tasting Note

This tea is truly a treat. I just made some with my friend and we can’t help but smiling at each other. It is so delicate yet rich with flavor. The dry leaf is emerald and full of oils. The wet leaf aroma has notes of evergreen and you can just smell the rich, milky umami. I will be re-steeping this at least two more times.

I like this Gyokuro because of the differences in the Yame growing area. The Yame area uses different fertilizing than the Uji area does. The Uji area also tends to use the Goku bushes which naturally take in a lot of nitrogen. They then use very concentrated fertilizing practices to pump up the plant.
The fertilizing practices in Yame are different and the tea tends to have less of the super umami but does have a nice range of complexity.