Marquis de Gris

Black Tea Leaves, Cornflower Petals, Flavouring, Natural Flavours, Rose Petals, Sunflowers
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by De

• “I received a package in the mail today from Germany, which is a first! I was very excited to open it because it contained tea that I won in a contest being held on Steepster by RiverTea. In order...” Read full tasting note
    SoggyEnderman 391 tasting notes
  • “A surprised yum from me! I'm not an earl grey, but the mango balances it out to the point that it is a gorgeous sip with a citrusy twang. It's so good. I think I might fight the wife for this...” Read full tasting note
    ladykittykat 1243 tasting notes
  • “If you like Earl Grey, you owe it to yourself to try this tea. I received my first Rivertea order today. I ordered mainly because of the 50% coupon that went around a couple of weeks ago. I...” Read full tasting note
    Marzipan 282 tasting notes
  • “I got a sample of this tea in my order. I was intrigued by an earl grey with additional fruity flavor, since I've liked mixed earl greys in the past (ex. Paris by H&S). This is pretty good. The...” Read full tasting note
    Tealizzy 577 tasting notes

From RiverTea

Mango Bergamot Black Tea

Ingredients: Black Tea, Sunflower Blossoms, Flavouring, Rose Blossoms Leaves, Cornflower Blossoms, Natural Flavouring

1tsp 3-4min 100/212 degrees

About RiverTea View company

I received a package in the mail today from Germany, which is a first! I was very excited to open it because it contained tea that I won in a contest being held on Steepster by RiverTea. In order to keep people excited for the upcoming launch of their online shop they asked readers ‘what would you do if only 100 grams of your favorite tea existed in the world, what would you do to get it?’ and my answer involving crayfish put me among the winners. As per usual when I get a box in the mail containing tea, I had to try some of it immediately!

Today I am reviewing Marquis de Gris by RiverTea. (they are still pre-launch, but if you sign up for notification you can get a nice discount and samples) This tea is a blend of Mango, Bergamot, and Black tea with Rose, Sunflower, and Cornflower Blossoms. This tea is exceptionally pretty and colorful, I love teas that stimulate multiple senses. Well, on to the olfactory analysis, in a word this tea is heavenly. The aroma is one of the best blends of, well a blended tea, that I have run into, no one aroma overpowers the other. You can certainly detect the sharpness of the bergamot, the sweet tropical aroma of the mango, the delicate floral aroma from the various blossoms, and a rich maltiness from the tea.

Once steeping the aroma fills up my room, even though the petals become sad and faded. The aroma becomes more intensely citrus and the oaky, malty aroma of the black tea is really noticeable. It is a very brisk aroma and wakes me up (which is good because I have a serious case of the groggies). The liquid has a more sweetly floral aroma that blends well with the aroma of mangoes. The bergamot and black tea aromas are not as intense as with the steeped leaves.

The taste is wonderful, a perfect blend of mild sweetness, floral, and tartness. There is a hint mild astringency giving the tea a brisk quality that is not at all intrusive. A while ago I tasted a Lady Grey and thought it was, well, kinda awful, this tea gives me what I want in a ‘milder’ bergamot Early Grey style tea. I do not necessarily want there to be less bergamot but I want it accented with other things so it does not overpower. In this tea I can taste the citrus, the roses, the rich mango, and the base tea and they are harmonious, it does a wonderful job of being subtle while also being intense enough to keep my interest. I decided to add a splash of cream and sugar (my usual way of drinking Black teas, especially blends and first thing in the morning) and it was an excellent idea! The cream added that edge of richness and made the mango more pronounced and the sugar, well I just like my first tea of the day to be sweet. I have been looking for a new morning tea and I think I have found it, as you all know I do not often say ‘new favorite tea’ but today I got lucky.

For blog and photos: http://ramblingbutterflythoughts.blogspot.com/2013/11/rivertea-maquis-de-gris-tea-review.html

Tea Sipper

I’m glad to see you were the winner!

A surprised yum from me! I’m not an earl grey, but the mango balances it out to the point that it is a gorgeous sip with a citrusy twang. It’s so good. I think I might fight the wife for this one.

Our Della Terra teas came in today, but I want to try all of my RiverTeas first! Aaaaah! I will drink all the teas and be happy for it.

If you like Earl Grey, you owe it to yourself to try this tea.

I received my first Rivertea order today. I ordered mainly because of the 50% coupon that went around a couple of weeks ago. I didn’t realize when I ordered that the tea was coming from Germany because the shipping was so reasonable.

The presentation made me feel like I was opening a present. I opened the outer box, and there was gift paper folded over (like you do tissue in a clothing gift), sealed with a “Happy Brewing” sticker. Inside that, the teas were nestled in festive, multicolor packing peanuts. Instead of just bags, the teas were in cardboard cylinder type “tins”, then inside sturdy zip loc bags inside that. I liked that, because I can pull the bag out, enjoy looking at how pretty the tea is, but it lives in something that blocks the light. There were three samples tucked into the box, in sturdy little green opaque zipper bags. They all appealed to me, so I felt that they were handpicked based on my order instead of randomly thrown in. I am looking forward to trying them. Also in the box was a glassine envelope hand tied with a piece of red curling ribbon. Inside that envelope was a green felt leaf. I have no idea what it’s for. It’s big enough to use as a coaster, except that there is a piece cut out of the middle that suggests it’s for something specific.

Anyway, on to this tea. It’s so pretty! Very colorful, like confetti. Smells amazing. And tastes good to boot. I had never had a mango variant of EG, but I really loved this. Every time I took a drink I was making audible “mmm” sounds. My husband thought it was funny. I drank it in record time too. Usually I linger over a cup of tea (and this is an 11 oz cup, not a small one) but this was gone within 10 minutes.

Stephanie

Sounds nice :)

Christina

I’m really curious to see what this felt leaf thingy looks like. Can you post a picture?

In my order, my little goodie was a bamboo spoon with a very shallow, wide bowl.

MzPriss

Well it’s a cute little leaf thingie

Marzipan

They emailed me and said it is indeed, a coaster. But I can’t figure out the cut out middle part – doesn’t that defeat the purpose?

MzPriss

You would think so yeah

I got a sample of this tea in my order. I was intrigued by an earl grey with additional fruity flavor, since I’ve liked mixed earl greys in the past (ex. Paris by H&S). This is pretty good. The mango flavoring isn’t my favorite, but it kind of rounds out the bergamot. It’s kinda sharp though. The black tea base is pretty smooth. I think, if you like citrus flavored teas, this is a good one.

Omma nomma nomma. Tried a shorter steep time this time and it came out significantly weaker. Stick to two minutes next time.