Boatsman

Edit tea info Last updated by Cavocorax
Boiling 3 min, 15 sec 8 oz / 236 ml

4 Images

From RiverTea

You know how it is…some mornings you wake up but you feel half asleep. On those mornings brew a cup of Boatsman black tea to lift you up and start the day with a smile on your face! A carefully selected black tea rich in antioxidants will give you just the right caffeine dose you need to kick start your day. Already from the first sip, your senses will wake up charmed by the sweet, juicy taste of mango with a hint of exquisite vanilla. Slight undertones of bananas, cranberries and cinnamon will feel like dancing on your tongue, and will put you in a cheerful mood for the day ahead.

Ingredients: Black Tea, Mango bits, Banana bits, Flavourings, Cinnamon sticks, Camomile blossoms, Cranberry bits.

100°C/212°F 1 tsp 3-4 minutes

About RiverTea View company

2068 tasting notes

Thanks to Roswell Strange I get to try a RiverTea and I am definitely very excited. I reached into her package and decided to make the first black tea I pulled. I was glad to see it was this one. I was a tad bit worried as there was a whole piece of cinnamon in the blend and I feared that would get sweet in the cup but there was also cranberry pieces among other stuff so I figured it would all balance out.

I get vanilla for sure. Cinnamon is there. Mango and banana are also hiding in this cup. There is definitely a lot going on in this cup but I think it works. I also get a slight bit of astringency but nothing too over the top. This was a nice introduction to the company so thank you Roswell Strange for sharing this with me :)

ETA: As I continue to sip, this is actually getting better and better. The mango and banana are becoming more prominent and the astringency died down. Weird. I upped the rating :)

Roswell Strange

I’m finding it’s tasty, but a little unpredictable because the chunks are so large (reminds me of Tea Desire fruit blends) it’s hard to get everything in the mix in one cup. I did try to include some of all the pieces and bits and stuff in your sample. Those cinnamon sticks are huge, right!

VariaTEA

You definitely got some good chunks in there but I can see how it would be hard to get a piece of everything into one tiny teaspoon. I mean the cinnamon alone would probably fill that. It was definitely good and I will easily get through the sample but I don’t know if I would order it again.

Roswell Strange

Personally, I broke many of the cinnamon sticks up into smaller sizes (a few were significantly larger than the one you got) right after I packed up your samples. I wanted to give you a full one though, like it’s supposed to be ;P

VariaTEA

That probably was a good plan on your behalf. I didn’t even think about doing that. I just dropped the stick into the infuser and added a tad bit more leaf

Tealizzy

Ooh, so excited to get mine! Can’t wait!

Sipdown (202/204)!

This note was much longer last night, but to my chagrin we lost our internet connection and I lost my tasting note (and couldn’t watch any TV finish my backlog).

Had this as a cold brew at work. In total, this sat for nine/ten(ish) hours. I’m actually really happy I discovered this one as a cold brew, because it was great for using up leaf, gets an older tea out of the way and tastes a lot better than the hot version. Win win win!

And as far as work goes, I feel like I’m really getting into a rhythm – not just with the job itself but with having a routine and consistent bedtime/wake up time. I feel like I was at a point where I really needed that.

But yes; this is gone now and I’m pretty ok with that. More cupboard space and all that. It was cool having this hand picked for me, though – and I still adore the name. I wont be surprised if I find it being added to future RiverTea orders.

And hey, I’m officially 19! I think that means it’s time to try some tea infused martinis…

MissB

Woot! Happy birthday! :)

OMGsrsly

I hope work continues going well for you, and you have a lovely birthday!

boychik

Happy Birthday!!!

keychange

happy birthday! drink all your favourite tea!

MissLena

Happy birthday!! Hope you have a wonderful, tea filled day! :D

Jennkay

Happy birthday! There’s a cocktail with sweet tea called Mason Dixon that I’ve been meaning to try. Maybe when the weather warms up!

moraiwe

Happy birthday and many happy returns! :)

YAAAAY! happy birthday!

carol who

Happy birthday! Are you doing anything special for your birthday?

caile

Happy birthday!!

K S

Happy Birthday!

Fjellrev

Happy happy birthday to you!

Cavocorax

Happy Birthday!

This is one of the ones I eyed and then decided not to get and then my wife talked me into. I’m glad she did, it’s good! I taste cranberry and orange on the front of the sip, then the smooth vanilla, and then mango and banana in the back. Yum. The cinnamon comes out to play here and there and that is A-OK with me, I love cinnamon. All in all, it’s a very intriguing cup…I look forward to getting to know you better, Boatsman.

Pass the Stash TTB #7

Something drew me to this tea as soon as I saw it. It just spoke to me.

I had a bad night last night. I got some bad news that left me feeling emotionally off-kilter. Sleep helped. But tea is also a healing balm.

This tea is lovely. It’s light, fruity without being perfumy, and just what I needed to pick me up. The mango is subtle and not overpowering, and melts into creaminess from the vanilla. There’s only a little bit left in the bag so I’ll be finishing it up before the box moves on.

Flavors: Cream, Mango

Lewis and Clarke TTB

I decided to make this as a tea soda, following Roswell Strange’s method of using ~1T to 1oz boiling water, steeped 4 minutes, I then added the stevia equivalent of 2.5T of sugar to make a concentrated syrup, that I then added to carbonated water.

The result is interesting. I just notes of vanilla, cinnamon, and fruit, but not all in the same sip. Each sip is a little different than the last. Keeps things interesting.

This was the sample included with my RiverTea order. This is not a tea I would have chosen on my own.
The ingredients make it sound really weird. Mango, banana, cinnamon, vanilla? Don’t think so….

Really all I’m getting is cinnamon and vanilla in a black base. It’s nice and light, not in your face offensive, but I’m not getting any fruit at all. This just confirms that this one is not for me, but always happy when companies include free samples for you to try.

Cold brewed this one for like 24 hours. That seems to work out for me because I very likely always end up underleafing. I cold brew in a 1L pitcher and if I used enough leaf to make it as flavourful as I wanted, I’d go through all my cold brew teas way too fast.
So I leave it in the fridge for a day or so.

This one… There’s something weird about this one. I did get a creamy sort of mango tea. But either the cinnamon, banana or chamomile is rubbing me the wrong way. I couldn’t put my finger on it when I was drinking it because I hadn’t read the description/ingredients yet.

I will try again later to see what exactly my issue is!

Memily

I regularly cold brew blacks for that long!

I drank this before I read any reviews, and I was really taken aback because the flavors I got weren’t what were listed here at all. I had to go back to check the Rivertea site to see if they had reblended it. They haven’t.

I got vanilla, I got mango, and I got black tea. No cinnamon, chamomile, banana (which I hate and would have noticed), or cranberry.

It was a nice cup, nothing that made me make any funny sounds out loud to entertain my husband, but nothing bad either. I have to give Rivertea credit that their samples are generous, there was maybe 3 tsp in there, so that’s two big cups for me. Nice.

Cheri

I usually don’t read other people’s reviews until after I’m at least half way through the mug, and then I like to compare what others have said, or try to find what they found that I didn’t….

I received this as a sample with my first RiverTea order. I’ve had two cups so far, with a third remaining in the bag, so a pretty generous sample! I did actually think about adding 50g of this to my order, but I decided against it at last minute. Based on the sample, that was probably the right decision for me. It’s nice, but it’s not quite as punchy as I’d hoped.

The dry leaf contains huge pieces of cinnamon stick, and equally huge whole chamomile blossoms. The chamomile blossom actually unfurled while brewing, and it was pretty to watch all of the petals folding back. I was slightly concerned that the cinnamon would overpower everything else, but it didn’t. I gave 1 tsp of leaf approximately three minutes in boiling water and added a splash of milk.

First sip didn’t taste of much to me — the honey-like sweetness of chamomile, a swirl of spice, generic black tea. I left it to cool a while, and when I returned to it the flavours I was looking for really came through. There’s definitely mango, and there’s also quite a lot of banana. I wasn’t expecting to be able to taste the banana at all, so it was a pleasant surprise! The vanilla adds a touch of creaminess and a sweetness to the overall cup, but it’s very much a background flavour. There’s a lot going on in terms of flavour…maybe a little too much at times. I do wish the mango was a little stronger and jucier, but it’s a pretty nice cup as it stands. I’m definitely glad to have had the opportunity to try it! A good first experience with RiverTea — on the strength of this one alone I’m looking forward to trying the rest of my order!

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp
Roswell Strange

This makes a nice cold brew :)

TheTeaFairy sent me a sample of this one and I have to say I was quite skeptical. Giant pieces of Cinammon sticks in there, and then I read about chamomile which I most definitely do not enjoy. But made it anyway because there’s talk of mango and vanilla and there is dry fruit throughout the leaf.

Hot it was a little strong. Not astringent so much as just strong base. Just as I finished making the tea the people here wanted to go for a walk (I’m at the cottage) and I left the mason jar on the table. Had it upon my return, cooled off, and it is much more fruity than when piping hot. I cannot really distinguish the different fruit but it was ok. I probably wouldn’t buy it but it was enjoyable. I have 1 tsp left that I considered cold brewing but I am not sure I want to bother for just 250 ml. Thanks, TheTeaFairy , thanks very much. My first RiverTea

TheTeaFairy

Dunno, not sure but I don’t think I’m a fan of this either…

Christina

I’ve found that of the River Teas I’ve tried, they all sound lovely in theory but they haven’t really rung my bell. Not that there’s anything bad with their blending – just that the flavours aren’t working for me. I think the only one of theirs I really would consider restocking is their Crazy Mint.