2007 Yiwumahei Bamboo Skin Packed Pu-erh Tea Brick Ripe

Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by KittyLovesTea

• “I have had this tea a few times now and each time it has been consistently mild and smooth. Very light for a ripe Pu Erh indeed. It has elements of soil, musk, sweet wood and clay. I fear that...” Read full tasting note
    KittyLovesTea 1075 tasting notes
  • “~Queued post, written April 23rd 2014~ I enjoy a cup of puerh now and then, but it's not something I really drink very large amounts of. It's not really the same way as with green tea and similar...” Read full tasting note
    Angrboda 1257 tasting notes

From Royal Tea Bay Co. Ltd.

It selects raw tea leaves in 2007 of Menghai yiwumahei tea area Typical Menghai flavour, smooth taste, rich flavour, long sweet-after taste. The tea which grows in Yiwumahei tea area are wild growing, strong flavour which is the reason why it is so popular these days. You can feel the sweet flavour on your first touch. Also this tea brick is packed with the bamboo skin which has well protect the tea flavour and the taste.

About Royal Tea Bay Co. Ltd. View company

I fear that this is perhaps too mild for my personal taste, even after upping the dosage of Pu Erh I use in my Yixing doesn’t work. :(

If anyone likes soft Pu Erh then let me know and I will send some your way.

Anna

Sounds like something for the EuroBox. =)

KittyLovesTea

I might just do that with the hope someone else likes it. I really have tried my best to enjoy it but I’ve always been a strong tea kinda gal. The brick was 250g so I have plenty to share around.

Queued post, written April 23rd 2014

I enjoy a cup of puerh now and then, but it’s not something I really drink very large amounts of. It’s not really the same way as with green tea and similar where I have to be in the mood for it. I think it has to do with the effort involved. Drinking pu-erh tea is a commitment to drink the same tea for a long time, and I just don’t always have that sort of attention span. I get bored. I want something else.

Even so, I took some of this out of the EU TTB round 1, and have been waiting for a good time to have it. Last time Husband had a puerh he didn’t much like it, so I’m not going to bother giving him this one when we have so many others that he enjoys much more. Therefore, drinking it on a Wednesday is the way forward.

For once in my life I actually did a quick rinse. This seems to be the primary advice given to people who like puerh but find it a little harsh. I’ve never had that problem myself, so I’ve never bothered. I did today though for reasons that… Well, for no particular reason actually. Call it an experiment.

It smells like mushrooms and cinnamon. I’m a bit puzzled by the latter. I wasn’t expecting that. I wonder if it might be a result of residue on my strainer… Not impossible, but it has brewed a number of non-cinnamon-y things since it’s been in contact with cinnamon, and none of those had cinnamon notes in them that should or shouldn’t be there, so I’m leaning towards the belief that this tea actually smells like cinnamon.

The flavour is a bit thin, but again there’s a lot of cinnamon notes in it. I’m not getting too much in the way of mushrooms until the aftertaste, and I can’t immediately spot any stronger earthy flavours. There’s no feeling of farm animals to this. I say farm animals because the first time I had a puerh it invoked strong memories of my great-grandparents’ and the farm they had when I was little. It shaped the whole puerh experience for me. I want this note in my cup. I want this association.

I don’t know where those farm animals have gone here. I wonder if the rinse step stole them from me. If that is the case this will be the first and last time I ever bother with a rinse. I want my farm animals back.

That said though, it is an enjoyable cup. Remarkably cinnamon-y and quite sweet with an aftertaste of mushrooms and broth.

Jillian

Nooo, not the farm animals! ;)

Angrboda

I know! It was quite disappointing. I still have some left, though, so I can test if it was the rinse that did it or if they just aren’t there.