Lao Cang Sticky Rice Raw Sheng mini tuo cha

Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by DigniTea

• “I have several different puer mini tuos which I like to keep on hand for convenience. When you don’t want to work on picking apart a larger cake, these are handy to have around. This particular...” Read full tasting note
    Dignitea 391 tasting notes
  • “ DigniTea sent me one of these tiny guys to sample. thank you so much! I'm on the lookout for rice scented pu-erh and I wanted to try this one today to see if I like the raw version. I love rice...” Read full tasting note
    Tea Sipper 1333 tasting notes
  • “These little cakes are great for convenience . This time kept the steep time only 10 sec with near boiling water. It was barely enough time for the leaves to break apart in the cake (even...” Read full tasting note
    Ubacat 207 tasting notes
  • “TeaSipper had some sticky rice puerh a while back, and I was so curious as to how that works, especially since I need to avoid all grains, that I wanted to try it. Because, for those in the know,...” Read full tasting note
    MissB_Tea 1114 tasting notes

From Royal Tea Bay Co. Ltd.

Lao Cang Sticky Rice Sheng Mini Tea Cake
These mini tuo cha are made from Simao puer mixed with a Yunnan variety of herb called “Nuo Mi Xiang” (Rice-Scented leaf). No man-made flavor, total natural and healthy. The liquor is a yellow green color. The aroma is very fragrant. Laocang Tea factory is the only factory in Yunnan focusing on the Mini tuocha and only using good fresh tea leaves. Each tuo weighs 5 grams.

About Royal Tea Bay Co. Ltd. View company

I have several different puer mini tuos which I like to keep on hand for convenience. When you don’t want to work on picking apart a larger cake, these are handy to have around. This particular mini is one of my favorites because it never fails to taste sweet and fresh. I’ve been sitting at the dining room table working on a project all afternoon and this little one has been my loyal companion – six steeps so far.

The scent of the dry leaf makes your mouth water – like a sweet flavored rice cake or a nice kettle corn. Steeping produces a clear bright liquor which is pale yellow-green in color. The sip is a delicious nutty rice flavor. Very sweet on the tongue and mouth. By the way, this one works nicely as a meal accompaniment.

Boiling
TastyBrew

Yum! This sounds good. I have tried a few sticky rice tuochas and have never been disappointed. i need to add this to my list.

DigniTea

It’s one I always enjoy. In fact, I’m down to my last two and I’ll need to reorder very soon. Here’s the link:
There’s also a ripe tuo but I prefer the raw for this one.

mrmopar

Good seller on this also. I have gotten a lot from them.

DigniTea

Yes, a good seller. Always done well by me!

DigniTea sent me one of these tiny guys to sample. thank you so much! I’m on the lookout for rice scented pu-erh and I wanted to try this one today to see if I like the raw version. I love rice scented pu-erh. I thought if I had to banish one type of tea from my life it would be raw pu-erh, but this is certainly convincing me otherwise.

Steep #1 // rinse // 10 min after boiling // 1 min steep
Yes, I will always love the ripened pu-erh more than the raw, but this one works too. I love the dark flavor of the ripe pu-erh, and the sweet rice flavor just seems like it would go better with ripe. But maybe the flavor is able to shine better on the lighter raw leaves. The flavor here is so buttery. I’ve never had sticky rice, but to me the flavor screams kettle corn… which I’ve only had one time and loved. But the cup is mostly sweet, a hint of spicy with the aftertaste. I’m accustomed to raw teas being very tree-like, but it’s possible I was steeping them too long. Maybe even 30 seconds would have been enough like some oolongs.

Steep #2 // 8 min after boiling // 70 seconds
Oh boy, and here is where the bitterness starts. The rice flavor is still very apparent, but the bitter kind of ruins it. Maybe that’s why I like the ripened pu-erh better, it isn’t as sensitive.

Steep #3 // 10 min after boiling // 50 seconds
Still bitter, but so is the rice flavor. I liked the first cup though. I think the first cup was perfect, but this should really be steeped for maybe 30-40 seconds after the first steep. I think I’d rather stick with the ripened until I get better at not ruining the raw pu-erh. I still love the rice flavor. I’m ordering some of the ripened from puerhshop.com…

Ubacat

I had a bit of trouble with this tea too. The sticky rice scent was way overpowering and I think there was some bitterness in the later steeps. I would suggest trying shorter steeps but I see you’ve only had one to try. I have quite a few of them on hand if you ever want to try it again.

Tea Sipper

thank you so much for the offer, but I think I’ll stick with the ripened from now on. :D

Ubacat

I look forward to seeing your review on the sticky rice ripe pu-er. Maybe it will go better with the ripe. But don’t give up on the raw! Mandala is the best starting place for raw. All their teas were fabulous.

Stephanie

Neat! I didn’t know they did the sticky rice thing to sheng as well as shu. Sounds good.

These little cakes are great for convenience . This time kept the steep time only 10 sec with near boiling water. It was barely enough time for the leaves to break apart in the cake (even though I had poured hot water over it previously and discarded). I’m glad I kept it short. The sticky rice flavouring was very sweet in the first infusion. It didn’t get bitter though and was smooth with a slight astringent taste. Along with the sticky rice I get the earthiness of the pu’er which comes across as a mushroom taste.
2nd infusion – 12 sec. Ahhh, this one is better. The sticky rice flavouring has toned down a lot . It is nicely balanced now.

205 °F / 96 °C

TeaSipper had some sticky rice puerh a while back, and I was so curious as to how that works, especially since I need to avoid all grains, that I wanted to try it. Because, for those in the know, sticky rice tea is actually an herb-based flavoring, instead of actual sticky rice. Cool!

As I’m reviewing this however, I discovered I ordered the sheng (raw) puerh instead of the shu puerh that TeaSipper tried. Bah! My bad. I’m usually not a huge fan of sheng, but I’ll still try it.

Honestly, this just wasn’t my cup of tea. Now, it smells SO strongly of sticky rice I did a triple-take… it really is identical to the real thing. Steeped, the smell stays about the same, and it lingers in my mouth and nostrils. It’s incredibly pleasant. The flavor however… I like the first seconds of the sip, it’s a very smooth puerh with little astringency. Then, within about 10 seconds, it gets bitter. Bitter beer face is what I’ll call it, and while it’s not… .bad… it’s just not something I want to try again. Perhaps I steeped it incorrectly, I’m unsure.

Yes, recommend for the flavor (if you like sticky rice). No for the rest, or at least until I can figure out what I did wrong.

200 °F / 93 °C 2 min, 45 sec 5 g 12 OZ / 354 ML
Tea Sipper

Ah! I’m sorry you ordered the raw and not the ripened. I have a raw toucha to try yet, but I imagine the ripened is better. :/ I’m glad to hear it is accurate sticky rice though, because I’ve never actually tried it.

K S

I have not had this one, but before you give up on it try again and hold your steep to about 30 seconds. My personal opinion long steeps and raw puerh can and often do lead to bitter beer face – love the term.