Tolstoy's Sip

Edit tea info Last updated by SamovarJosh
Boiling 8 min or more

• “Smoky and fairly strong, like a Caravan blend. I felt obligated to do it at least once the prescribed way (here: https://www.samovarlife.com/5-steps-to-the-ultimate-russian-tea ) with American...” Read full tasting note
    ifjuly 608 tasting notes
  • “We just posted a recipe for Russian tea featuring with Tolstoy's Sip along with a coupon for 20% off orders place by 11/4: http://www.samovarlife.com/5-steps-to-the-ultimate-russian-tea/” Read full tasting note
    SamovarJosh 1 tasting notes

From Samovar Tea Lounge

Simply intense, caffeine-loaded and best with a scoop of strawberry jam. Sit, sip and ponder Tolstoy’s wisdom, “Happiness does not depend on outward things, but on the way we see them.”

Ingredients: Organic Chinese black tea, bergamot oil

Tasting and Aroma Specs: Smoky, sweet, and lightly fruity. Smooth and full bodied with an apricot sweetness, and a light tarry smokiness.
Food Pairing: Potato Pancakes or Samovar’s Russian Platter.

About Samovar Tea Lounge View company

Smoky and fairly strong, like a Caravan blend. I felt obligated to do it at least once the prescribed way (here: https://www.samovarlife.com/5-steps-to-the-ultimate-russian-tea ) with American Spoon strawberry preserves, but I must say, Samovar’s steeping instructions are awfully vague, giving amounts of leaf and jam to use but not amounts of water nor how long to steep nor how to go about straining (the “steaming” step implies you add the tea directly to the teapot, not within an infuser basket) given you’ve added jam to the tea. So it was all a mess, and unfortunately a waste of good jam too ‘cause I didn’t like it (I shouldn’t be too surprised; I have yet to find any strawberry with black tea base blend I like). Oh well. I guess it’s good (kinda) you can only order this in big amounts so wasting some the first time isn’t the end. :/

I appreciate Samovar’s steeping directions in general for trying to stay open to people’s varying tastes and also for being gongfu-ish, but sometimes you want a decent cup of western-style tea and no more than that (brisk blacks especially are something where I’m only going to want 1 cup, usually in a hurry first thing in the morning so no resteeps, and especially don’t want to be using 1 whole Tbsp a go). That’s what I want some specific guidelines for. Oh well. Next time I’ll try 1 teaspoon for 8 oz, boiling, 3 minutes and hopefully it’ll go ok.

EDIT: Hm, looking more closely I think I can put the pieces together, but it’s easy to overlook if you skim and requires additional link-hopping to figure it all out—it appears to be around 13oz boiling water, 3 Tb tea, 2 Tb strawberry jam, 10 second dry steam condition of the leaves then 15 minute steep jam and all. Filter afterward (somehow…), and then do equal parts the steeped super strong tea and additional boiling water, add sweetener and/or dairy to taste. I might just try it one more time…maybe. It’s vaguely like southern sweet tea, ha.

Terri HarpLady

I love Caravan style teas :)

boychik

Im from Russia. We never make tea this way. You make a zavarka, then dilute with hot water to your liking. Jam, pastries are on a side;)

ifjuly

yeah, the jam added right into the tea while steeping seemed very unorthodox to me—i’m vaguely familiar with “make a crazy concentrated tea, then dilute with hot water from a samovar and lots of sugar” but not the jam thing, ha.

ifjuly

that said i don’t really care about hewing to tradition or anything. it just seemed fun. but without clearer instructions the first go-round, and first thing in the morning when my head’s still fuzzy, it was a mess waiting to happen.

boychik

Let us know the results if you decide to try again

We just posted a recipe for Russian tea featuring with Tolstoy’s Sip along with a coupon for 20% off orders place by 11/4: http://www.samovarlife.com/5-steps-to-the-ultimate-russian-tea/

Boiling 8 min or more