Velvet Cacao Pu-Erh

Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by MissB

From Samovar Tea Lounge

Sip this lucullan elixir and behold tempestuous waves of thought simmer to a pacific ocean.

Cacao, roasted dandelion, pu-erh, vanilla, and yerba mate.

About Samovar Tea Lounge View company

2031 tasting notes

Mmm, caffeine. Puerh and mate, please do your job and give me energy!

This is another sample from MissB. She seems to have a habit of throwing multiple samples, pre-measured for 16oz of water, into her swaps. So awesome. Except today I’m cheating and using my “12” oz mug from SBUX. It’s really more 14-15 when I fill it all the way, so I don’t feel so bad.

I added some almond milk and a little maple syrup to this tea. Oh yeah. This is nice. I don’t think I’d want it all the time, as I’m finding I’m not a huge fan of the cacao shells (and I have the Cacao Mint), but it is really nice. It has some depth from the puerh, and a bit of grassy/hay flavour from the mate.

I’m gonna guzzle this down, then set up for an hour long yoga video. Now, which one to choose…

this one sounds really lovely..

It’s pretty good! I don’t love the mate flavour, but otherwise it’s a solid chocolatey tea. :)

This was the first tea I had upon arriving at the Samovar Tea Lounge in Zen Valley last Friday following our excursion to the SF Zoo. To round out the picture, my older son, 8, had Tea Lemonade (it was awesome! Not sure what was in it but it tasted like green tea and lemonade), my younger son had Moorish Mint, which I adore and he liked at first but grew weary of after a few cups, and my BF had Tart Peach which was lovely as well.

This was served in a little pitcher with a built in strainer, and an accompanying cup.

I have quite enjoyed many of the Samovar Pu-Erhs, but this was not my fave, for a reason that is extremely subjective. I thought I might get a chocolate flavor out of it, and I did get some around the edges, but it was secondary to a somewhat alcoholic flavor that predominated. To be precise, the main flavor I got from it was brandy, cognac perhaps, and I am not a fan of either of those flavors. Like most pu-erhs I have tasted it is overly simplistic to reduce this one to a single flavor, and I could discern as well the earth, bark and barnyard components. But the overwhelming note was the brandy. If you like that flavor, you will love this.

I give it points for obvious quality, though.

Tart Peach? I don’t recall seeing this on their website! Sounds yummy!

I wouldn’t have been able to pinpoint brandy. Nice callout…

Did you taste that as well, byronicle?

I’m not really a brandy drinker, but I can definitely see where you were coming from on that one.

This was an interesting one MissB happened to throw in. Thank you! (I would imagine you repackaged many of these, and I REALLY appreciate that too – the best pouches!) This is a unique one – cacao shells and pu-erh, yerba mate I can’t tell is roasted or green. HUGE pieces/plenty of vanilla. But there is something they forgot to mention: coconut. Lots of coconut. I’m a little bit over coconut in blends, as it starts to taste bad fairly quickly, but this one isn’t bad yet. But at this point, I’d rather have artificial coconut flavoring in my blends just so the tea doesn’t taste bad. But chocolate and coconut together almost reminds me of those Samoa Girl Scout cookies! I really should have tasted more vanilla though. The pu-erh was okay and I like the idea of roasted mate with pu-erh (if that is what this is). But the coconut seemed to drown a lot of the flavor. How nice would just a pu-erh, roasted yerba mate, cocoa shells, vanilla blend be?! Sounds dreamy!
Steep #1 // 2 tsps. // few minutes after boiling // 2-3 min steep
Steep #2 // just boiled // few minute steep

Thanks MissB for sending this one my way to try.

I wasn’t sure what to expect since I’m not certain i’ve had a Pu-erh before, but I was hoping the cocoa would take a main stage.

Upon steepin I found the base tea to come through strong and in the front, the cocoa taking a back seat. I added a touch of raw sugar and cream. The cream mellowed out the base, although still allowed it to be present, and the cocoa came through. Much better. Not sure I’d make this a staple as this is quite a strong base for me, but it was nice to try. I might find myself drawn more to blends like this as I become more used to rich teas.

I’m finding i enjoy it more as it cools. Maybe a re-steep will be in order after all.

Flavors: Cocoa