Wild Rose Bai Mudan

White Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “I'll be straight with y'all. I've never been a big fan of roses. I think they're just a tinge too traditional for the modernist in me that clamors loudly in my head. For example, if I find myself...” Read full tasting note
    takgoti 260 tasting notes
  • “Wonderful! This is delicious and fragrant and tastes absolutely exquisite. Smooth, sweet, and beautiful. The white tea is light and fresh, with hints of a peppery quality. The rose is...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4659 tasting notes
  • “This tea engages you when you first open the tin. The mixture of the tea leaves and rose buds is visually enticing. The aroma as you steep this tea has the floral notes of rose water which is to be...” Read full tasting note
    jbpowell78 61 tasting notes

From Samovar

Origin: Organic white tea, organic roses and natural essential rose oil blended in the U.S.

Flavor Profile: Ethereal and wildly floral with an earthly, earthy base.

Tea Story: There is a long history of flavoring and scenting teas in China. While Jasmine Pearls and Earl Grey are the most famous of the scented teas originating in China, other classic flavor enhancers include osmanthus, lychee and, of course, rose. These styles of tea are incredibly popular in North China and are becoming increasingly popular with American tea drinkers today.

Our Wild Rose Bai Mudan is a gorgeous blend of leaf-and-bud white tea and hot pink rosettes. The dry leaf has exquisite aromas of rose water and crushed rose petals with a whisper of loam. Scents of cut roses and damp hay enhance the brew. A top note of citrus hovers on the palate, but overall, the taste of Wild Rose Bai Mudan is a heavenly interplay of the field and the forest. Rose, damp hay and a touch of osmanthus pepperiness are complemented by wet wood and loam. A hefty, rounded mouth-feel is followed by a slightly drying aftertaste of dried roses and dried grasses.

Samovarian Poetry: A balance of the ethereal and the earthly cleanses and lifts the mind as it soothes, calms and grounds the body.

Food Pairings: Pair Wild Rose Bai Mudan as you would rose petals. Try it with lightly spiced Somali lamb, ginger sugar cookies, vanilla cupcakes with cream cheese icing and chopped almonds, Harvey Wallbanger bundt cake or almond-stuffed dates with mint essential oil and Manchego cheese.

About Samovar View company

Samovar's is dedicated to preserving the simplicity and integrity of the tea traditions and inspiring people to practice peace through drinking tea.

I’ll be straight with y’all. I’ve never been a big fan of roses. I think they’re just a tinge too traditional for the modernist in me that clamors loudly in my head. For example, if I find myself in an antique store? Cowbells and kettle drums and GET ME OUT OF HERE. [I’m not saying you can’t find cool stuff in antique stores because you most certainly can – but I get an internal reaction not unlike when people who don’t like strong smells walk by an Abercrombie & Fitch. Speaking of which, do they drown that damn store in scent? Nightly?]

Anyhow, as a flower person, I’m much more of an orchid and gardenias kind of girl. As a tea person, I usually don’t like roses in my leaf, but I really like Samovar’s Bai Mudan, so when I got a sample of this I thought, “Ah hell, it won’t kill me.”

Before I get into the tea, I want to say that my stigma surrounding roses aside, this tea is very, very pretty. Lots of little rose buds with ombre’d hues of pink blushing their petals surrounded by pretty green leaves. On the flip side of that, it smells like roses, which is a smell I associate strongly with non-edible things like soap and perfume.

All of these thoughts bumping around in my head, I closed my eyes and drew a sip.

Seriously, I don’t know how Samovar freaking does it. There’s magic afoot in that place. They have freaking mind gnomes that get into my head and figure out what needs to happen to make me enjoy something and then they snap their fingers, do their step, they can do it all by theyself…

I’m sorry, where the heck was I? Right, the tea. The tea is a rather seamless blending of the two named components. The taste is lightly floral, backed with that distinct dark sweetness I get from bai mudan that quickly morphs into walnut. A slightly heady note of rose chases the liquid down the throat and what is left is a rather dimensional grassy sweetness.

Anyhow, this tea was good to me. Enjoyable, even. Is it going to edge out the many teas of theirs that are nipping at my wallet? No. But it’s the best rose tea I’ve had to date, and if I found myself planning a pinkies-up tea party I’d likely nab a tin because this tea just feels damn fancy. If you like roses, I’m going to say this tea will be a likely winner for you. If you love roses, then do yourself a favor and go buy a sample right now.

teaplz

You make me miss you so much when you write stuff like this. Love your guerrilla-style reviews. Pop on, post a few, then POOF.

Also, this sounds nommy. I haven’t completely fallen in love with the rose/flower thing yet. But yeah, their Bai Mu Dan is pretty awesome, so…

Laura

Haha! Guerrilla-style totally describes it. And oh, you always leave us wanting more…

takgoti

Aww, trust when I say that I miss y’all too, but unfortunately school requires attention! I’d ignore it if I could, but they’d call social services on me. Or fail me. Take your pick.

Perhaps the next avatar picture shall involve grease paint and a machete. Except instead of the machete, maybe like a red bandanna or something else far less dangerous.

sophistre

Hey, a bandana can be deadly in the right hands. Probably.

Wonderful! This is delicious and fragrant and tastes absolutely exquisite. Smooth, sweet, and beautiful. The white tea is light and fresh, with hints of a peppery quality. The rose is distinctive and flavorful… but doesn’t taste perfume-y. It is really quite wonderful.

This tea engages you when you first open the tin. The mixture of the tea leaves and rose buds is visually enticing. The aroma as you steep this tea has the floral notes of rose water which is to be expected. However, that same rose flavor is a little over powering when drinking the tea. That is not to say it is unpleasant and if you like floral teas then this is definitely one to try. I haven’t given up on this one, but I believe it may be too floral for my tastes.