GenMaicha

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Sanctuary T

1 Tasting Note View all

• “Another one of my little BYOTea packets. This one, however, surprised me. It has to be one of the messiest teas to try to get pinches into the little bags. I'm not convinced that this is the...” Read full tasting note
    QuiltGuppy 247 tasting notes

From Sanctuary T

“Genmai” means “natural rice,” and “cha” is of course “tea.” Ours is a fine example of this Japanese Bancha mixed with roasted rice, popped rice and matcha. Delivers a nutty and toasty flavor. It is traditionally enjoyed after dinner or prior to bedtime.

About Sanctuary T View company

Sanctuary T Shop is the online expression of New York City’s unique tea-restaurant based in Soho. It is dedicated to celebrating tea’s many forms, attributes and tastes. Owner Dawn Cameron and her team of tea-loving staffers are always experimenting for the perfect tea blends, tasting for the best pure leaf, expanding their tea knowledge, and innovating with new ways to use tea in food, cocktails and just about anything else!

1 Tasting Note

Another one of my little BYOTea packets. This one, however, surprised me. It has to be one of the messiest teas to try to get pinches into the little bags. I’m not convinced that this is the best tea for this system, not only for that reason, but also because the bags themselves don’t seem to allow the matcha to dissipate completely into the tea. Since I love genmaicha regardless, the absence of the matcha doesn’t disappoint me all too much. The genmaicha is really good. It tastes very nutty and savory. It’s slightly vegetal tasting, but not too much. I boiled the water and let it cool about five minutes or so, then put the bag in. It steeped for about four minutes. The result was pretty good overall.