Shan First Flush Green Tea

Bulk, Loose Leaf, Sachet, Tea Bag
Low
Edit tea info Last updated by Sonofabrat

2 Images

• “This is a really lovely cup of tea. While most green teas tend to have a "buttery" sort of flavor to accent the "veggie" taste, I find that the vegetative notes here are less "buttery" and taste...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4550 tasting notes
  • “Vegetal greens aren't really my thing, but there's no denying I really enjoyed the citrus notes in this. The whole flavour profile reminds me of eating lobster (or insert your preferred seafood),...” Read full tasting note
    CrowKettle 507 tasting notes
  • “Thank you Shan Valley for supplying these at such a reasonable price. This a mild, thoughtful kind of tea. It is slightly vegetal with just a hint of citrus. For me, it's the kind of tea I want to...” Read full tasting note
    carol who 365 tasting notes
  • “Similarly to the Valley Green, this tea was mellow and vegetal with a mild fruitiness. The smokiness that I had detected in the Valley Green was just barely present here. No sweeteners are...” Read full tasting note
    teaformeplease 81 tasting notes

From Shan Valley

This tea is considered to be the freshest and most sought after tea. Shan First Flush Reserve tea is the first harvest in the year and only occurs once a year, usually in early April. Shan First Flush is subtle yet has a rich and distinct taste. Because it comes in limited quantities, it is considered a reserve tea.
www.shanvalley.com

About Shan Valley View company

This is a really lovely cup of tea. While most green teas tend to have a “buttery” sort of flavor to accent the “veggie” taste, I find that the vegetative notes here are less “buttery” and taste as though they’ve been accented with a squeeze of lemon. There is a distinct citrus-y note to these, and it lingers into the aftertaste.

The flavor develops after a few moments of cooling. I found my first two sips to be kind of delicate in taste, but, the tea was still quite hot at that point, as I had just poured the cup. But after a couple of moments, the tea began to come to life. I taste vegetative notes, citrus and nutty tones.

A really good tea – the first that I’ve tried from Shan Valley, but certainly not the last.

Vegetal greens aren’t really my thing, but there’s no denying I really enjoyed the citrus notes in this. The whole flavour profile reminds me of eating lobster (or insert your preferred seafood), with a good squeezing of lemon and a dash of butter.

This isn’t the cup to win me over to Team Green, but I don’t mind drinking up two individual tea bags of it. Thanks, SFTGFOP, for sending this smoky smelling Myanmar tea my way!

Flavors: Lemon Zest

170 °F / 76 °C 1 min, 0 sec 8 OZ / 236 ML

Thank you Shan Valley for supplying these at such a reasonable price. This a mild, thoughtful kind of tea. It is slightly vegetal with just a hint of citrus. For me, it’s the kind of tea I want to drink when I am sitting quietly, maybe reading or listening to music. I wouldn’t throw it in a mug to drink while driving or at work. It deserves a little more thought and appreciation.

2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML
Sami Kelsh

I’ve never heard a tea described as thoughtful before. I like this.

carol who

Okay, so maybe thoughtful isn’t quite correct… maybe it just makes me thoughtful while sitting and thinking how to get everyone in the world to drink tea. Then all would be good in the world! :)

Similarly to the Valley Green, this tea was mellow and vegetal with a mild fruitiness. The smokiness that I had detected in the Valley Green was just barely present here. No sweeteners are necessary as there was very little astringency. Although this is their reserve tea it is really quite affordable.

This tea is making me happy today. Maybe because it’s a tea for the indecisive! It has the lightness/vegetal flavor of green with the slightest notes of toast and…is that just a hint of light sheng pu’er? It even has a touch of astringency, but just a bit. On the wheel of tea flavors, this one doesn’t go off strongly in any one direction but sits quietly in the center providing light touches of a few different tea types. I’ve never had anything like it but am enjoying it quite a bit.

And yet again…

“I’ve debated a long time about writing this review. I got sent these teas by DCS, because they weren’t to her liking, and I then passed it on as it wasn’t to my liking. This is perhaps the best thing about Steepster. The community.

So, 10 is the grade I would rank for standard tea bag tea. I would rank this tea below that. Probably around a 10. I’m holding off on ranking as I would like to see some more reviews of this tea before I leave such a drastic mark.

Smooth and pleasant, with no hint of bitterness or astringency. I really liked this green tea.

The re-steep was just as good, though with a slight astringecy.

This green tea struck me as interesting because if it hadn’t been labeled I probably would not have known it was a green tea just by looking at it. It looks more like a raw loose Puer or some other dark tea. In fact, I’d go so far as to say it tastes more like a raw Puer than a green tea. It’s rather on the dark and earthy side for a green tea. The notes are very nutty, with green bean and a bit of black pepper. This doesn’t have the brighter vegetal notes of most green teas and I was almost expecting a roasted flavor to accompany it, but it didn’t exactly. This tea is not suited to my tastes in green tea. I am sure others will find it more interesting.

Flavors: Earth, Green Beans, Nutty, Pepper

175 °F / 79 °C 0 min, 45 sec 2 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Very smooth, light green tea. Really enjoying this :)

A very unique and pleasant green – it has smokey notes, and ocean-y flavors, and citrus. I love how it isn’t astringent at all, because it helps these strong flavors from being overwhelming. I am not the biggest smokey tea fan, but I did enjoy this.