Malt, Nuts, Earth, Roasted, Mineral, Tobacco
Bulk, Loose Leaf, Sachet, Tea Bag
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by ShanValley

• “Backlog: I'm not sure if the leaves for this tea were actually roasted, but they do have a distinct roasted flavor to them. The roasted flavor reminds me a bit of coffee, but without the coffee...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4366 tasting notes
  • “I did 1 1/2 tsp/10 oz for this one, and since it was already pretty dark I went with a short steep. This is...not for me, I think. The leaves are small and it brews up dark, almost like coffee. The...” Read full tasting note
    bluebelle 414 tasting notes
  • “This tea was earthy and sweet with nutty notes and a mild fruitiness. Smoky notes in the background rounded out the flavor profile, adding a nice balance. It had a bold astringency but did not...” Read full tasting note
    teaformeplease 81 tasting notes
  • “Let me start by saying that I am not a huge fan of basic black teas. I tend to like fruity, flavored and spicy teas. The aroma is fresh and roasty. I also think I smell some vegetal maybe even...” Read full tasting note
    carol who 246 tasting notes

From Shan Valley

Our tea is has satisfying roasted flavor blend and strong taste. This tea is naturally processed from our green tea to further enhance flavor.
www.shanvalley.com

About Shan Valley View company

Backlog:

I’m not sure if the leaves for this tea were actually roasted, but they do have a distinct roasted flavor to them. The roasted flavor reminds me a bit of coffee, but without the coffee bitterness (and the coffee side effects that I usually feel a couple of hours after drinking coffee.)

Rich, earthy, malty, and sweet. There is a slight “cocoa-ish” sort of flavor to it too that is accentuated by the roasty notes. Caramel notes, nutty tones, smoke, toast, and earth. It’s a really enjoyable, complex cuppa.

Here’s my full-length review: http://sororiteasisters.com/2014/01/30/black-tea-shan-valley/

I did 1 1/2 tsp/10 oz for this one, and since it was already pretty dark I went with a short steep. This is…not for me, I think. The leaves are small and it brews up dark, almost like coffee. The taste is malty and strong and I can almost taste the caffeine, but the overall flavor is kind of boring. It’s not offensive at all, and it’s smooth and not bitter like I expected, but that’s about all I can say. To the swap pile the rest goes.

This tea was earthy and sweet with nutty notes and a mild fruitiness. Smoky notes in the background rounded out the flavor profile, adding a nice balance. It had a bold astringency but did not become bitter when left to steep for too long the first time around (oops!).

Let me start by saying that I am not a huge fan of basic black teas. I tend to like fruity, flavored and spicy teas. The aroma is fresh and roasty. I also think I smell some vegetal maybe even asparagus. Interesting. The liquor is dark and looks like coffee. The first taste I had was strong and coffee like. Steepsterites who said that this would be good for people changing from coffee to tea are not wrong. I feel that this has similarities with coffee with out the astringent/bitter taste I associate with coffee. This tea is a bit astringent without being bitter. When I drink most teas I add a sweetener and I felt that I needed to try it with sweetener. I used Stevia which has no calories. I still smell and taste the hint of asparagus, as well as a nice roasty taste. The sweetened black is full bodied and tastes fresh. I wonder how much caffeine in this? I’m betting a lot. I would drink this in the morning but would be a little afraid to drink it later in the day. The bag doesn’t have any instructions for brewing, but it’s not tricky to figure out. It is a black tea after all :D

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 6 OZ / 177 ML

and the last time….

“I’ve debated a long time about writing this review. I got sent these teas by DCS, because they weren’t to her liking, and I then passed it on as it wasn’t to my liking. This is perhaps the best thing about Steepster. The community.

So, 10 is the grade I would rank for standard tea bag tea. I would rank this tea below that. Probably around a 11. I’m holding off on ranking as I would like to see some more reviews of this tea before I leave such a drastic mark."

Wow, this one packs a bit of a punch! I definitely see the comparison to coffee – the flavor is very bold, and does have a roasty taste. The leaves seemed ground, they were so small, which might account for such a strong flavor. Next time I will try using less leaf, and see if I prefer it. I like strong flavor, but this was a bit intense for me as is! Recommended for people who like a bold cup, or converted coffee drinkers.

Edit: Even using half a teaspoon, the flavor is not really for me. I do see how it could be appreciated, and I am sure coffee drinkers would LOVE this one, but it is a bit too strong for me!

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 0 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

I’ve been trying to scrounge up some more black teas for my sipdown drawers since I’ve mainly been cold brewing oolongs lately. Anyway, this is one that I had forgotten about, so I stuck a tablespoon into my water bottle and into the fridge for maybe around 7 hours. Anyway, I should have guessed from seeing that it is a CTC that it would be strong, but it still caught me off guard a bit with the heavy smokiness. I can tell that there are some other flavors there in the background, but I’m too distracted by the smokiness to be able to really tease them apart. If you couldn’t tell already, I think it was too smoky for my own taste, but I will definitely try steeping this one hot to see if anything changes.

Not feeling it this morning.

Maybe with some milk and sugar but that’s no excuse for a tea. It tastes bitter and even though I felt like I underbrewed it a tad

Going to toss the rest of this cup. Life’s to short for tea that isn’t delightful.

Thanks to Carol Who for sending me this sample. This tea is chopped up so fine, it nearly resembles coffee grounds. I treated it like I would treat ’Grampa’s anytime tea’ or ‘Crimson Horizon’, both Kenyan teas (I think) from Butiki. Although this tea is not from Kenya, but rather from Myanmar, it still reminds me of those african teas, both in it’s finely chopped appearance, & in the resulting cup, with was robustly bold & tart! It also packs a pretty good punch, & although it isn’t something I plan to stock, it was what I needed today.

sherapop

Sounds like CTC Assam—similar visually and in caffeine content to instant coffee! ;-)

I am going to try to give a fair and balanced review of this tea. I enjoyed my cup, but I think my brewing technique could be improved. The leaves are very small, and do not lend themselves to a normal filter basket or tea ball. I really need to put them in a tea bag due to the amount of dust present. I think this is due to the processing technique. Once I let this dust settle to the bottom of my cup, I got a better taste.
Initial impressions: Strong, bitter, a little acrid, and very brisk! It definitely had the classic, dark breakfast tea taste. I think the acrid taste came from the little bits of leaves finding their way out of my filter. I didn’t enjoy it plain, but with just a little soy milk it was smooth and creamy and flavorful. The milk really brought out all of the good tastes in this tea and I could taste caramel and malt and all sorts of other good, full flavors. In summary, this is definitely strong, brisk and a good kick of caffeine. I’ll use a disposable paper filter next time to reduce the tea dust and maybe it will even be good plain. But with milk it was exactly what I look for in a strong breakfast tea. Well done, Shan Valley, and you cannot beat your prices!
Edit:
Steep 2 – Just as strong as the first, and unfortunately, just as much dust making it bitter. It was a little less bitter the second time around, but still tasty with milk. You can definitely taste the tea through the milk for this one. I’ll bet it makes divine iced tea – probably perfect for Arnold Palmers since it is so strong.