Wild White Tea

Creamy, Cucumber, Grain, Hay, Honey, Oats, Cinnamon, Cloves, Mushrooms
Edit tea info Last updated by Shang Tea

From Shang Tea

Ingredients: 100% Organic White Tea leaves -Antioxidant Rich

If you are a fan of white tea you will not want to miss this unique tea. Grown on the edge of our tea farm, this wild white tea is creamy and flavorful with a sweet finish, delivering pleasant energy.

About Shang Tea View company

I like how the little sample pouch says ‘3+ cups’. Whoever wrote that have clearly never seen me make tea. :)

I’ve had this one for a while and it’s another one that I don’t know who sent it to me. Considering that it comes from Shang Tea, of whom I am a fan, it may be slightly odd that I’ve been sitting on it for so long. It’s because I’ve had this ‘white tea – urgh…’ phase, which has been going on for rather a long time now. It’s not that I dislike it, it’s just that I’m not at all that fond of it. My severe falling out of love with Bai Mu Dan hasn’t helped matters any either. Shang Tea have, however, in the past provided me with some rather large surprises, so I’m hoping for the best.

The aroma is not very strong and it’s difficult to pin down. It just smells white, really, in that it doesn’t smell at all like any of the other types of tea. Using the inhale-exhale-inhale trick that I learned from Bonnie the other day (thank you Bonnie! I think you’ve just helped me avoid actually dipping the tip of my nose in tea in search of aroma with this trick. (Accidental dipping, mind you)) I can pick up something that reminds me vaguely of cucumber or courgette, but isn’t really either. It’s sort of slightly sweet and it smells like that texture, but still doesn’t really allow itself to be identified. It does remind me some of Bai Mu Dan, though.

The flavour does have a fair bit of courgette to it as well, but strangely, it’s not as unappealing as I normally find it. It’s immediately followed by something very sweet and honey-ish, and I think that’s what rescues it for me, because normally I prefer my courgette flavour to be in courgettes. Bit like cinnamon really. For me, cinnamon and tea ought have nothing to do with each other at all, whether it be naturally occuring or otherwise.

Once again Shang Tea has surprised me. This is really rather nice. It’s not something I must run out and tell the world about, but it’s enjoyable to get to try. If I were fonder of white than I am, I would probably be swooning all over the place.

Bonnie

Give yourself credit! You took time to really investigate this tea! So many times people say "White Tea …don’t like it! " take a sip, write an I told you so note and that’s it.
Good review!

Kittenna

Oh yes, the number of times my nose has accidently met with the contents of my teacup…

Daniel Scott

Okay, what’s the inhale-exhale-inhale trick?

I think you’re the third person I’ve seen to say cinnamon and tea shouldn’t go together. I find that so odd, I love cinnamon in tea! Now maple syrup…that’s a flavour I can generally do without in tea.

Angrboda

Daniel, when you want to have a closer look at the aroma, instead of just sniffing at it, try to keep your breath normal through your nose, but keep your nose near the tea, so that you sort of breathe on it. It makes a lot of steam and makes the aroma easier to smell.

As for the spice, I think it’s because it’s such a strong one. It’s the same sort of problem I have with ginger. It prickles and there is SO much of it. I’ve never met anything that was just a smidge. The difference between cinnamon and ginger, though, is that while I can have both of them in cooking and baking, but ginger still not in large amounts whereas a cinnamon stick or two in a vegetable stew can be really awesome.

I tried adding some maple syrup to a tea once to see what would happen and it didn’t work for me. I never sweeten tea, so all I got was a cup of sugary ruined tea and no maple.

Krystaleyn, yes indeed. And I go ‘WAH-WHAT-WAS-THAT?!!-oh…’ every single time and then feel like an idiot. :p

Bonnie, I try to keep an open mind with things I’m not super-fond of. There are some that I’ve simply given up trying all together, like for example anything which is known to contain the Evil Hibiscus, jasmine scented things and to some degree Darjeeling because I know I definitely won’t like them. With things like white tea it’s more diffuse why I don’t care for them. I can’t put my finger on anything in specific in them; they simply don’t really push my wow-buttons and they don’t have what I’m generally looking for in a good cup of tea. But there is always the chance of being surprised, so I try to give it a go and I try to keep an open mind. I don’t always manage it, sometimes something is just bleugh or I don’t have the energy for it.

I could have sworn I wanted to round this reply off with something intelligent and insightful on the subject, but I’ll be damned if I can remember what it was. I’ll return if it comes back… All I can remember is ‘oh I should remember to mention whatever it was!’ which is not super-helpful.

Kittenna

Angrboda – so, funny story… I happened to glance at myself in the mirror this evening during one of my numerous trips to the bathroom, and what did I find? Oh yes… there was matcha on the tip of my nose! Now, dunking one’s nose in most teas just results in a bit of surprise and possibly burning, if the tea is hot. Matcha, on the other hand, is green. Bright, dark green. The worst part? I definitely had just come back from the supermarket. I hope the cute guy manning the self-checkout didn’t notice! It wasn’t super-obvious… I think…. (Now, I’m not entirely sure how this matcha got there, but given the colour, I suspect it was from a sniff of the matcha packet itself and not my tea, but I could be wrong if I sniffed and got a floaty blob of unincorporated matcha at just the right/wrong spot…)

Angrboda

LOL! Okay, I’ve never done that, but then again I’ve never been sucked into the matcha trend either. :p At least my tea is only wet. :D

I got this in a Shang Tea sampler pack. Until I can afford to actually purchase more Shang tea I am absolutely enjoying the samplers!
I LOVE Shang teas – so far there has not been one I have not loved!
This white tea is so different from most whites.
The aroma is of honey as is the initial flavor.
Its rich and deep with a full creamy mouthfeel!
It is so succulent and has this savory after taste almost of basil.
There is also this very light flavor of black pepper but it is so subtle it is easy to miss.
You will find also a slight vegetal flavor but the top note of this tea is indeed sweet honey!
A truly wonderful tea of the highest quality!
I hope to get more soon!

TeaBrat

There is definitely something special about their teas…

Azzrian

Sure is :)

ScottTeaMan

My next white tea purchase is coming from Shang Tea. They just look so appealing and delicious! :-P…….

I finally ordered the sampler package after seeing so many good reviews on here and it arrived today, which is really fast shipping…3 days I think. Anyways, this was the first one I picked out, I want to save the ones I think I’ll like best for later, but I’m not sure how that will go since I’m already having an internal argument of whether or not I should try another sample since it’s getting into the evening and I don’t want to stay awake from caffeine, but I also have nothing to wake up early for tomorrow, and so my dilemma continues!

The actual tea now…dry and wet leaves smell very much like sweet hay. In taste is carries a very sweet note in it that is slightly creamy in texture, like honey. The hay notes are very prominent, fresh and crisp. There is a slight floral note that I cannot quite pinpoint it’s origin.

The one thing that really surprises me about this tea is the sweet, creamy honey notes. It tastes like it was added but I assure I did not add anything to this. I brewed it 175F for about 1 minute in a 12 oz vessel. A delicious sweet white tea, and a good start for the samples!

TeaBrat

Nice! I loved working my way through these samples they are quite good!

Invader Zim

Almost all of them sound delicious, but I do love my jasmine teas.

Azzrian

Just DO IT! :)

Invader Zim

I’m still brewing this one for now. Steep #4 I think I’m on, holds up rather well. But we will see, there’s still plenty of time before I decide to go to bed tonight!

Bonnie I think you’ll make it! Sounds enjoyable.
CHAroma

Phew!! That is expensive! Seems like the sampler is definitely the way to go.

Fresh! Pure! Pretty! Tasty! Smooth! Somewhat Floral aftertaste.
Special Thanks to LiberTEAs for this one!

This tea is another sample from TeaEqualsBliss thank you very much. This tea is light but with flavor. This tea like white tea. This tea is really good and this does not need much sugar even for me,that always adds sugar. I does have abit of its own taste to. This tea does not need a very long steep time either.

This tea has a very different aroma from other white teas I have had. I can’t quite place it, but it seems so familiar and its wonderful. It tastes great too. Definitely something new and different for me.

Teafreak

I love this white tea!

Simply put, this is the most delicious tea I have ever had. I’ll update later with a more detailed post

I’ve been holding onto my Shang white tea samples for a while, and I’m not sure why. I guess I’m just not always in a white tea mood. Well, today I am! There is a ton of tea in this packet and it seems like way too much for one cup, but I’m going to trust the instructions and go for it anyway. The leaves are large and overall, this tea looks similar to bai mudan. Dry scent is lovely sweet hay and oats. I decided to go with a 2 minute steep – I would generally go longer, but I was afraid considering the volume of leaves.

Oh, honey honey! The aroma smell deliciously of honey, which is not something I’ve really found in white teas before. There’s also an interesting sweet and slightly fruity scent that reminds me of juicy sweet grapes or a sweet Moscato. The flavor is classic white tea, but with a little bit of extra. It has the usual hay or straw flavor, along with a nice light graininess that reminds me of oats. The texture is creamy and lovely, it reminds me almost of soy or almond milk. Over everything is that amazing sweet honey that I was smelling in the aroma. I can taste the honey throughout the entire sip, from beginning to end, but it’s not overpowering of the other flavors. There’s a wee little bit of cucumber that pokes its head out near the end, and it adds a nice refreshing element.

Overall, a lovely and delicious white tea with an amazing amount of (unexpected) honey flavor. :)

Flavors: Creamy, Cucumber, Grain, Hay, Honey, Oats

185 °F / 85 °C 2 min, 0 sec 3 g 8 OZ / 236 ML

Now this is a unique white tea. Similar to a White Peony, this wild tea has big broad green-brown leaves that look like little dragon wings.

The flavor of this white tea is somewhat difficult to describe in terms of other things it smells or tastes like. The brewed leaves smell of honey, floral and musk. The taste of tea has a honeyed sweetness and a rich umami, like mushroom or zucchini, yet it remains just as light and smooth as any other high quality white tea I’ve had. The finish is smooth, no astringency and there’s a lingering umami on the tongue. There are tiny hints of clove, cinnamon, and rolled oats in the finish.

This white tea has a generous rich mouthfeel and reminds me of a leggy white wine in that regard. The thing that really sets this wild white tea apart from other white teas of its type is in how rich and umami it is. I am used to more grassy, floral, and even citrus notes in white teas, but this one is really savory. Let it become almost tepid for a really interesting change in flavor. It brings out both the sweetness and the spicy end notes.

Flavors: Cinnamon, Cloves, Honey, Mushrooms, Oats

185 °F / 85 °C 0 min, 45 sec 2 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

A bit too much hay for me – but it seems so many people love that. Don’t let it deter you from an otherwise flavorful and savory white.