Clear Jade Orchid

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Shang Tea

• “Next week is Sample Week. I shall do at least one sample every day all of next week, and it has to be one that I can then decupboard. If there's more than just one cup's worth, it doesn't count....” Read full tasting note
    Angrboda 1279 tasting notes
  • “Wow! I've said that I don't much like darker oolongs, but clearly I've been drinking the wrong kinds! This tastes amazing! I love that this weather allows for me to enjoy my teas both cold and...” Read full tasting note
    Mercuryhime 517 tasting notes
  • “Got home after a visit to Shang Tea with several choices. Which one to make first? Clear Jade Orchid won and, oh my stars, what a tea! I had no directions, and ended up using 2 generous tsp in a 10...” Read full tasting note
    kuanyin 38 tasting notes
  • “This is a spectacular tea! Luscious, mellow, delicious, with an absolutely distinctive flavor. Although it is listed as an oolong/wulong tea, undoubtedly because of its method of processing, it...” Read full tasting note
    jjshapiro 28 tasting notes

From Shang Tea

Note: This Tea is 100% Organic

This tea is currently out of stock

Ingredients: Organic High Mountain Tea Leaves
Processing: Approximately 67% fermented with a unique fermenting method
Flavor: Floral, Buttery, Creamy, and Rich in flavor, the flavor is unlike any other tea

Story Behind this Tea: Shang and his partner have tried to make a tea with a special and unique flavor, unlike any other tea, since 2009. After 50+ attempts and consultation with 5 different tea masters, they created this amazing tea in October 2010. This tea is a must buy for any tea lover and a one of a kind gift that cannot be found at any other tea store.

About Shang Tea View company

Next week is Sample Week.
I shall do at least one sample every day all of next week, and it has to be one that I can then decupboard. If there’s more than just one cup’s worth, it doesn’t count. If I’ve posted about it before, it doesn’t count. Sample Week starts officially on Monday, but I got the idea now, so I’m warming up here.

I’ve had tons of luck with Shang Tea in the past. Unfortunately shipping expenses are such that they are out of my own reach, but I’ve had Steepsterites share samples with me in the past and the ones that I’ve tried have all been absolutely wonderful. So it is with no small amount of anticipation and complete trust that I proceed to brew this cup.

This stuff smells absolutely divine! So sweet and caramel-like. No, more like burnt sugar. And creamy custard-y as well. I am actually sitting here with a tea that has a very strong aroma of creme brulee! What an absolutely amazing aroma. I’m completely stunned by this, in spite of the fact that it smells largely only of dessert and not really of tea at all. Just having the warm steam waft up at my face from below is making me all weak in the knees.

After an experience like that, the flavour came as a surprise because it doesn’t actually taste like creme brulee. It’s rather fruity, though, and still quite sweet. I could have wished for a little more strength but I didn’t have enough leaf for my usual amount and probably should have steeped a little longer than I did in order to compensate.

However, I’m still getting a caramel-like note from it, but it’s not nearly as strong as in the aroma. It’s there especially on the swallow and in the aftertaste. All creamy and soft, and it seems to last forever. And right away too. Sometimes, with aftertastes, you don’t really get anything of the sort from the first few sips, but as you drink it gradually builds up until, by the time you’re finished with the cup, you wonder how you didn’t notice it sooner. This is not one of those times. It’s there from the beginning and it’s strong and good.

That was the backend of the sip. Seeing as apparently I’m doing it backwards today, we shall proceed to the more middle flavours. There’s something vaguely fruity about it. Kuanyin suggested melons, and I agree with that. The more I sip, the more I try to focus on it, the more I become convinced that melon is probably the nearest we can come. Those round yellow ones with the funny net-like sort of peel and greenish yellow on the inside. That’s the image I’m getting. I don’t know what they’re called other than ‘melons’. I’m not a melon-recognition expert.

The front part af the sip, the very first encounter with flavour here is something floral, but discreetly so. It’s just there for a flash and then we have the fruit and the caramel-y aftertaste.

Floral, melon, caramel. You wouldn’t really thing these three aspects would work so well together, would you? How extraordinary that it turns out they SO do.

Once again, Shang Tea has not let me down. If you get the opportunity, I would strongly advice giving this one ago. It’s just wonderful.

But that aroma! Gosh, I wish I actually had me a creme brulee now…

Indigobloom

oh no I’m not sure I can help myself on this one. It sounds like just the kind of tea I love to try

Angrboda

Do yourself a favour. Indulge! (Then tell me if I’m crazy regarding the creme brulee aroma…)

Indigobloom

hrm, I have to wait til July since my tea budget for this month was spent dry and then some! but I think I will. Mmmmm

Kashyap

I so appreciate the in depthness of your description…

Angrboda

Thank you, one does one’s best. :) (Although of course some days I’m more inspired than other days.)

wombatgirl

By the way, I just made my husband take me to their brick and mortar shop – since they’re based in KC (like me!) and I ended up spending way too much on tea. I’m blaming you, since I got the idea in my head after reading this post. I got this, their green, the orange blossom white, and golden needle. YUM.

And you know, since I’m in the same town as them, if you ever want something, I can ship it to you. :)

Angrboda

Cor, that would be awesome! I’ll remember that for later. :)

Wow! I’ve said that I don’t much like darker oolongs, but clearly I’ve been drinking the wrong kinds! This tastes amazing! I love that this weather allows for me to enjoy my teas both cold and hot. Had a nice cold brewed lemon green tea in my thermos for a long walk in the park with my puppies. Frozen blueberries make an awesome substitute when you are lacking ice cubes!

And now, the evening has turned chilly and I’m turning to a hot beverage to relax me and warm me up for bedtime. I had originally planned on some Neapolitan Honeybush (yummy!) but I was also in the mood for something new. Time to break into some samples form Azzrian! I know it’s late for a caffeinated tea, but what the heck.

This tea is fantastic. I can’t believe the flavors here! It’s like roasted chestnut, sweet and creamy. It’s also very floral. I suppose it’s supposed to be orchid, but to be honest, I’ve never known an orchid flower to smell like anything. Am I smelling the wrong orchids?

What a wonderful comforting tea. I hate to add another tea to my must buy list, but this is definitely permanent collection worthy. So few teas have that honor since I’m all about variety.

I just had my husband try it out. I’m trying to train his tastebuds. :) He says it tastes like caramel and vanilla. He also says it reminds him of Japanese tea only not bad (He dislikes Japanese teas). Awesome. :)

Off to try my second infusion now!

Mmm.. still good!

gmathis

I’m loving the frozen-fruit-as-ice-cube idea. I’ve got some blueberries that I need to go stick in the freezer right now!

Mercuryhime

I’ve got some frozen peaches for my next batch of iced tea. :)

Dylan Oxford

We have an ice cube tray with ‘slots’ in the ice cube part that are meant for putting about 1/4 slices of citrus in. Pretty awesome, actually. I need to find those and dig them out.

Got home after a visit to Shang Tea with several choices. Which one to make first? Clear Jade Orchid won and, oh my stars, what a tea! I had no directions, and ended up using 2 generous tsp in a 10 oz pot. For the second steep I transferred it to a yixing pot that is a bit larger. This is unique indeed with flavors that I can’t pin point other than floral. Melon? I definitely preferred it with sugar crystals and thought it brought out more of the deep flavor. It looks like a charcoal roasted oolong, with the darker color, it does not taste like it. It is in world of its own and I wish I could better describe it.

wombatgirl

Are you a KC person? Always happy to see more locals on the site

kuanyin

Yes! I work in the Crown Center office buildings.

wombatgirl

Oh, lucky you! Very close to all that yummy tea!

This is a spectacular tea! Luscious, mellow, delicious, with an absolutely distinctive flavor. Although it is listed as an oolong/wulong tea, undoubtedly because of its method of processing, it tastes to me more like a mellow, warm, sunny red tea with a flavor vaguely reminiscent of butterscotch — it recalls sweetness without being sweet. I’ve never had anything quite like it. Shang has outdone himself with this tea.

Clear Jade is a fine Oolong. The package showed up in nice form, not crushed and looking fresh. I finally broke into it last week. It took me awhile to try this tea even though it’s been on my mind.
The aroma is nice and sweet, which made me hungry. This is a good tea to have before a big meal, although the flavor is not as bold as many of my other favorite Oolongs.
I was a little taken back by the price and shipping for 1 ounce. Shang says 1ounce will make 30 cups, but I ended up with more like 14. I tried repeat steeping, but it came out too weak. Still a great cup of tea though.

This tea is indeed amazing. It opens with a distinct fresh pecans taste, followed by the maple coated macadamias. After few seconds comes the overwhelming flavor of the best French truffles sprinkled with a chocolate powder! Yes, the mushroom truffle! What a sensation! Yet, it never lets you forget that this is a tea. Great for daily drinking but also for a connoisseur. Certainly “must have it”. I need to order more. Shang obviously took much effort to create this masterpiece. What a beauty!