Loose Aged White Tea

White Tea
Cucumber, Herbaceous, Pastries, Sweet, warm grass, Walnut
Edit tea info Last updated by Nicole

• “Wow. This is a seriously good white tea. Of course I say that about all of Shang's whites. I sometimes feel like I'm being a cheerleader for Shang's teas, but they are seriously so good! Clover...” Read full tasting note
    nburriss 512 tasting notes
  • “This was the first tea *Nicole* served at the tea party this weekend! Thank you! I haven't had a Shang tea that I haven't liked. This was a nice light tea. I do not remember too much about the...” Read full tasting note
    Teatiff 342 tasting notes
  • “It's about time I got around to reviewing more Shang Teas, as they are an incredible company, based locally for me, and my main source of tea since my fascination with Gongfu Cha and high quality...” Read full tasting note
    ShiningLion 68 tasting notes
  • “How charming this tea is. Start with a warm and toasty (not roasty) bi luo flavor, subtract any greenness, add a very slight sheng pu-erness, a touch of smooth Chinese black astringency, and a...” Read full tasting note
    Flowery 142 tasting notes

From Shang Tea

This is a five year aged version of our top selling White Peony King. Similar to wine, high quality white teas can be naturally aged and have enhanced flavor when stored correctly.This particular crop is from the April 2008 harvest and has been stored now for more than 5 years. This has resulted in a delicious, creamy, and refreshing tea that any tea lover is sure to enjoy. Try this one out and tell us what you think!

About Shang Tea View company

Wow. This is a seriously good white tea. Of course I say that about all of Shang’s whites. I sometimes feel like I’m being a cheerleader for Shang’s teas, but they are seriously so good!

Clover and a bit of honey, sweetness but heftier body than the White Peony King. I don’t notice any peony scent either, but this is a white tea with body and I lurve it. I’m not brave enough yet to try this in the brick form – I’m pretty sure I am not good enough at tea to take that on successfully. :)

And it’s super hard to measure since the leaves are sooooo huge! So 2 teaspoons is a total guesstimate.

boychik

White teas are usually tasteless to me. You are giving me a hope;)

Nicole

Shang’s whites were the first and still some of the few whites that had taste for me.

hmmm i’ll have to check them out sometime

Kat_Maria

Wow, I was THIS close today to ordering the sample pack. But I resisted! Perhaps after I can manage several sipdowns of what I actually have, I will order it.

Lion Repshire

While it does require a small investment (usually 10-15 bucks) a digital weighing scale can really help in measuring out tea, since leaf sizes vary greatly. It may require a bit of snooping online to see what amount of teas to use by weight, but I find that measuring tea in grams gives me very good and consistent results. :D

Lion Repshire

And as far as that goes, I always log the amount in grams per 100ml of water on my reviews, if that’s any help. It’s easy to adjust the amount if you know how much water your brewing vessel holds. 100 ml is about 3 1/3 ounces.

This was the first tea Nicole served at the tea party this weekend! Thank you!

I haven’t had a Shang tea that I haven’t liked. This was a nice light tea. I do not remember too much about the actual taste of the tea, but it was a very nice cup. I remember thinking this would be a good calming cup for bed time.

It’s about time I got around to reviewing more Shang Teas, as they are an incredible company, based locally for me, and my main source of tea since my fascination with Gongfu Cha and high quality loose teas began.

Let me start by saying this, I have never tasted a better White Peony tea than this one. This tea truly stands above the rest. It may be a little hard for me to be objective, as the current year I have from them is 2008 and that year is sentimentally-speaking the greatest of my life so far. Knowing this tea was harvested that year, I feel I transcend time when I drink it and the nostalgia of my memories of a half-year stay in South Africa flood back in.

This tea is incredibly smooth. On the first infusion of this pale-yellow green brew I am tasting very evident notes of cucumber, subtle notes of walnut and wild grass. This white tea is smooth, very smooth, almost creamy even. There’s a delicate lingering sweetness and a velvety feeling on the tongue for a while after a drink. There is no astringency or dryness whatsoever. This tea is as clean-tasting as it gets. The brewed leaves smell of parsley

Second steeping, the flavor is even more round, and be assured this tea is very round, we’re talking 360 degrees round. It doesn’t have the brighter “green” qualities of some younger white teas but showcases a maturity that is smooth and full. In terms of flavor, the second infusion offers a more nutty quality than the first. The light cucumber notes have backed away. There’s a slightly herbaceous taste. The lingering mild sweetness reminds me of the lingering flavor of a fresh baked pastry or donut, albeit much, much subtler.

With repeated infusions, the flavor is consistently light and delicately sweet. This tea is pleasant and easily approachable all-around. The dewy cucumber notes came back around a few steepings in. How lovely.

I’ve noticed other users here have given this tea a perfect 100 score, and it is definitely deserving. This is one of the finest white teas in the world. My only reason for the 99 rating is that I reserve the perfect score for my holiest most absolute personal favorites. As my palate for delicate white teas is still learning and developing (those subtle nuances can be really hard to detect for an American whose palate is used to strong-flavored food and drink), I haven’t quite been wowed to the point of absolute dedication to a particular white tea yet.

Flavors: Cucumber, Herbaceous, Pastries, Sweet, warm grass, Walnut

180 °F / 82 °C 0 min, 45 sec 2 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
boychik

i want to move to Kansas and live next to Shang tea ;)

Lion Repshire

Oh, it is a joy, especially to go into the store and sit and have tea with them. Everyone who works there is so nice and interesting to talk to!

How charming this tea is. Start with a warm and toasty (not roasty) bi luo flavor, subtract any greenness, add a very slight sheng pu-erness, a touch of smooth Chinese black astringency, and a thick mouthfeel.

Thank you Nicole for your generous sample.
This tea is amazing. I was dying to try aged white tea. Most of the time white tea taste like water to me, slightly colored. this tea is gorgeous mix of green and brown leaves with fuzzy tips. i looked at leaves for at least 3 min that how fascinating they are.
185F 10/15/30/45 150ml gaiwan
wet leaves smell kinda roasty and nutty,not floral. very comforting. clean sweet and smooth. it became even sweeter with later steeps.
100% repurchase

185 °F / 85 °C 0 min, 15 sec 3 g 5 OZ / 150 ML
ifjuly

I loved this one too!

i think I’m in trouble. I have like $75 in cart and keep adding

ifjuly

haha. so far i’ve been so impressed with shang. when/if i ever have less tea in my cupboard to the point i can reorder, i’d give them my business in a heartbeat.

Shang Tea

ifjuly and boychik, thank you so much for all the reviews, and we’re glad both of you are enjoying the tea!