Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by gmathis

• “This anonymous little dragonwell has suffered perhaps not deliberate, but obvious, neglect and still steeps up beautifully despite its long languish in nothing but a cellophane packet. Gentle...” Read full tasting note
    gmathis 1916 tasting notes
  • “First time drinking a longjing tea. This one was given to us by one of my boyfriend’s Chinese customers. It came in a pack of 4 Chinese teas: longjing, olong (green variety I think),...” Read full tasting note
    Mookit 56 tasting notes

From Shanghai Ganchun Tea Company

Longing tea have a long history of plantation. Longjing tea is the high class tea usually used as presents. Longjing tea belongs to green tea and is a cherished genus. The leaf is flat and smooth, glossed with jade green color. It emits dense aroma and tastes pleasant. It is famed by its four “incomparables.” A beautiful shape likened to the tongue of a sparrow, a green color comparable to the green jade, a dense aromatic scent it emits and an enduring gusty taste to the mouth. It comes out from carefully tending and when being fried it is stirred with human hands. It is perfectly an artifact in tea.

About Shanghai Ganchun Tea Company View company

1916 tasting notes

This anonymous little dragonwell has suffered perhaps not deliberate, but obvious, neglect and still steeps up beautifully despite its long languish in nothing but a cellophane packet. Gentle golden color, with a very nutmeggy personality. May have to research source and availability more carefully once it’s gone.

Tastes like a bright spring day instead of the mucky, muddy, half-thawed, questionably cloudy sloggy afternoon outside my window.

yyz

We could all use a little spring right now:-)

First time drinking a longjing tea. This one was given to us by one of my boyfriend’s Chinese customers. It came in a pack of 4 Chinese teas: longjing, olong (green variety I think), pu’er, and jasmine green. They were in a very nice gift box with Chinese artwork, and made for a lovely gift. The tins are very nice too: each a different colour with more Chinese artwork on them.

First impressions: wow, what a long leaf! I’ve never seen tea leaves that are so long and flat. I read this is one of longjing’s distinctive features, and I must say, I don’t even know how the tin could fit all of it. When I tried to pour it out of the plastic bag that was in the tin, it wouldn’t all go back in! I was left with maybe a third of the bag that wouldn’t fit. I guess the position of the long leaves are to blame.

Brewing the tea turned it in a very light yellow colour, and the aroma is delicate and similar to sencha or other pure green teas. Flavour is not very distinctive, but consists of a grassy profile with a lighter body than I am used to green teas having. Usually they leave a pretty strong aftertaste, but I don’t really get any of it from this tea. I actually like the more hearty green teas, so this one I find to be a bit on the weaker side. However, it is still good for a green tea. Next time I will try to add a bit more leaf and get some more flavour out of it.