Ancient Forest Black

Earth
Edit tea info Last updated by Shanti Tea
Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 g 8 oz / 236 ml

• “2nd infusion... This is a very comforting cuppa! That's really what I keep thinking about while sipping this! Yes, it's bold and fairly malty yet smooth and it just seems like it has all the...” Read full tasting note
    teaequalsbliss 6770 tasting notes
  • “Smelling the dry leaf made me think I accidently grabbed the Black Merlot I had last night (I checked and it was not). Theres floral notes, as well as something else, but I don't wanna pour the...” Read full tasting note
    tunes&tea 58 tasting notes
  • “Thank you to *TeaEqualsBliss* for sending me some of this tea. This is a really remarkable black tea. Strong and robust, with a very pleasing earthy quality to it. The earthiness is almost...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4220 tasting notes
  • “Per: https://www.shantitea.ca/sthome/product/ancient-forest-black: Origin: China / Serving: 2.5 grams per cup / Temp. 100*C / Steeping Time 2-5 Min. “A full bodied, earthy infusion typical of...” Read full tasting note
    looseTman 96 tasting notes

From Shanti Tea

Biodynamically grown black tea from China’s ancient forests.

Cultivated from the ancient protected tea tree forests of Yunan Province, China, this rare and exquisite black tea makes a full-bodied and earthy infusion with a rich and penetrating aroma heavy with age and collective wisdom. The flavor of this deep amber infusion is unlike any other black tea available. Truly exceptional.

About Shanti Tea View company

2nd infusion…

This is a very comforting cuppa! That’s really what I keep thinking about while sipping this! Yes, it’s bold and fairly malty yet smooth and it just seems like it has all the properties to be that friend you can lean your shoulder on when you need it!

The 2nd Infusion was just as good as the first and just as dark and bold! It’s more malty and a creamier finish…there is a slight roasted aftertaste once the creaminess passes.

This is very unique and nummy!

Smelling the dry leaf made me think I accidently grabbed the Black Merlot I had last night (I checked and it was not). Theres floral notes, as well as something else, but I don’t wanna pour the contents out again to see what it is and the outside of the bag is heavily scented by another tea so….
I thought I oversteeped this since I forgot to set the timer. Liquor is a very deep red/brown, also making me think I oversteeped. Wet leaf still floral. The flavor is much more mellow than the aroma lead me to believe which made me think I didn’t oversteep afterall. It’s not dull or drab, just mellow with the tiniest bit of astringency. I first thought malty but then backed that off to a wood flavor with a touch of smoke. Though floral it’s not too sweet, but a little. I liked this tea well enough and would visit it again, though not enough to put on my right away purchase list; which I guess I should start since all of the samples that several fine Steepster folk have so graciously shared will eventually run out. There’s so much work to do to make oneself a fanatical obsessed tea drinking addict.
I tried a second steep and it was a hair lighter but also sweeter. Astringency went up a notch too so after this cup I’m done.
tunes-Dave Mathews Band=Christmas Song/Long Black Veil/Gret Street/Big Eyed Fish…all live versions

Autumn Hearth

If the astringency goes up I either bring the temp or the time down (sometimes both). For example I was drinking an Oriental Beauty from TeaGschwender yesterday, second time with the tea, the first was a month ago and I had done flash steeps, but wanted to try it western. The first two steeps were fine as I only did them for around a min, third I decided to bring it up closer to the recommended time (4 mins boiling) because I am always curious as to how the company thinks it should taste, but cut it short at 3mins which might have been fine if I had followed my instinct and used 195F water. After a few sips of bitterness I poured down the drain and was ready to grab a new tea when I looked in my brewing mug and saw how beautiful the leaves were I thought it would be a shame to not give it one last go. I steeped it for under 30sec (I love short steeps mind you so even 30 secs is long for my gongfu brewing) and it was lovely.

Thank you to TeaEqualsBliss for sending me some of this tea.

This is a really remarkable black tea. Strong and robust, with a very pleasing earthy quality to it. The earthiness is almost pu-erh like but … different too. In my review of this tea (which will publish soon on the SororiTea Sisters blog), I described the earthiness this way: “Consider an old growth forest just after it rains. The smell of the trees, the earth, the leaves and the air … that is what I taste in the background… that essence.” – that is what I’m tasting in this cup. It is very good, very rich, and a very nice way to start the day.

ashmanra

That sounds EXCELLENT!

Per: https://www.shantitea.ca/sthome/product/ancient-forest-black:

“A full bodied, earthy infusion typical of high quality Yunnan black teas. Cultivated from the ancient protected tea tree forests of Yunnan Province, China, this rare and exquisite black tea makes a full-bodied and earthy infusion with a rich and penetrating aroma heavy with age and collective wisdom. The flavor of this deep amber infusion is unlike any other black tea available. Truly exceptional.”

“Directions: 2 min without milk, 5+ min with milk”
“Ingredients: Tea (Camelia Sinensis)”
Canada Organic – Biologique Canada: http://www.organicbiologique.ca/en/

Technique:
Tea mug with Finum brew basket. 8-oz water with total dissolved solids (TDS) of 26 ppm, heated to 212*F. 2.5 grams (My Weigh Durascale D2 660). No sweeteners, milk or cream were added.

Fragrance: Earthy / hints of sweet tobacco
Dry leaf: Moderately dark brown leaves with some gold tips
Infused Leaf – Deep Amber

2-min. Initial observation: Not yet strong enough will step another min.
3-min.: Rich and full-bodied with a pleasing earthy aroma and not a hint of bitterness or astringency. My cup was empty before I knew it – Excellent!!

4-min Re-steep: Not yet strong enough.
5-min Re-steep: Improving
6-min Re-steep: Just as enjoyable as the first cup.

Impression: A smooth, rich, mellow, relaxing, and very satisfying cup of organic tea! An excellent weekend morning experience not to be rushed, and not to be missed!

Thanks to Safiya Motala and Shanti Teas for kindly providing this generous free sample.

Flavors: Earth

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 g 8 OZ / 236 ML
Nicole

This goes on the shopping list!