Hairy Crab (Mao Xie)

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Mark Torromeo
180 °F / 82 °C

From Silk Road Teas

A lightly oxidized, very aromatic Oolong made from a cultivar of An Xi Region. This varietal offers a sweet aroma and wonderful fruity cup. The name does the tea no favor! Well-crafted, a bright green color yet subtley oxidized, it offers a complex and refreshing taste. Rinse briefly, then steep 1-2 minutes, water 195-200 degrees.

About Silk Road Teas View company

My first hairy crab oolong so I don’t really have anything else to compare this one to. I picked this one up at the Bulk section of Whole Foods to try this afternoon. Some other descriptions I’ve read of hairy crab oolongs say they have a floral perfume but I did not pick that up here, thankfully ;)

About 90 seconds of steeping time in near boiling water yielded me a golden-green color of tea. I am pretty fond of this one actually. It is brothy and rich with a touch of honey flavor. Lightly oxidized Chinese and Taiwanese oolongs are fast becoming my favorite tea for the afternoon and I really like drinking them out of a glass mug to admire their delicate colors. There is no need to add milk or sugar since they are really delightful on their own. I will definitely need to do some more experiments with hairy crabs from different companies.

180 °F / 82 °C

One of my favorite teas, though I often use a little extra to get a good flavor. It is a light tasting tea, and very subtle. Great for a relaxed Sunday morning.

Decent. Could take it or leave it. Great aroma though.