Keemun Quimen

Baked Bread, Creamy, Malt, Mineral, Oats, Pepper, Smoke
Edit tea info Last updated by Jillian

From Silk Road Teas

Every year we return to Anhui Province to purchase this tea. This organic black tea is characterized by large, elegantly curled leaves that impart a full–bodied, winey flavor and a rich amber liquor. Perfect for breakfast, with or without milk. . Steep for 2 – 3 minutes at 180 – 195 degrees.

About Silk Road Teas View company

One of my favorites. An intense, peppery red tea that, in addition to tasting exhilarating, is also a good kick-in-the-pants tea for getting a day started.

This sample came from Blodeuyn. Yay, another Keemun! :D This is one of those tea categories that I am trying to explore more, as I feel I have neglected it in favor of Yunnan and Fujian teas. This tea has what I would consider to be typical Keemun leaves – they’re thin and small and very dark in color. Whoa, the dry scent hit me over the head when I opened the pouch. This tea smells so mineral and it’s extremely strong, almost to the point of being chemical. There’s a touch of musty hay scent there as well. I must admit, I was scared, so I steeped it for 2.5 minutes instead of 3 and I was very careful to level my teaspoon of leaf…

After steeping, the liquor also smells quite mineral but it’s less extreme. I can also smell bread and malt aromas. Luckily for me, drinking this tea is only a bit like licking a rock. The mineral is definitely the strongest note, but there’s also malt and bread, along with a creamy grain note reminiscent of oats. I get a light peppery taste, especially toward the end. Overall, not my favorite flavor profile, but not bad.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Creamy, Malt, Mineral, Oats, Pepper, Smoke