Congou Black

Apple Skins, Caramel, Malt, Molasses, Smoke
Edit tea info Last updated by Donald McVay

From Silk Road Teas

Our Congou, from Fujian Province, reflects the Chinese tendency to use a lighter touch in oxidizing. This tea was grown locally near Fuzhou using traditional farming methods. Medium-size black leaves, uniform and slender, with light mix of gold buds, creates a black tea with depth and a slightly nuanced taste. The flavor is softly sweet and the aroma clean and sweet. This tea is light on the tongue and will show some complexity with a hint of malt and, at times, fruitiness. Milk and sugar can be used with this tea.

About Silk Road Teas View company

A good tea for everyday drinking. Has a sweet taste if you don’t brew it too long.

Thank you nicole this is another tasty black. Just reaffirms how much I find black teas enjoyable. They always seem to do right by me, even if they’re not perfect. I’m going to enjoy this one again soon, maybe once the dog is gone.

hahaha dog not letting you enjoy your cup?

Very nice. Mild, smooth, apple-y in initial steep. Second steep was a little sour but not in a bad way. The smell is very much a Fujian black though there isn’t any of the mild smoke I have gotten lately with teas from that region. Glad to have this on hand. It isn’t one I have to keep around but it will be enjoyed as an every day tea while it lasts!

This must be apple day for me. I think I’ going to have to place an order for this tea!

PM me an address. I have plenty – I’d be happy to send some your way to try it before you buy since they don’t have small amounts.

Thanks, Nicole! :)

This is a beautiful tea!!! The dry leaves are dark brown with orange-brown colored threads mixed all in and they smell like bourbon balls at holiday time.
Brewed, the wet leaves look like brown crochet thread, staying all thin and wispy.
The liquor smells fabulous, sweet and “caramely”
The flavor is smooth and sweet. So good and has that caramelized sugar flavor that I love love love. Then there is a malty finish. Yum YUM YUM!! A good black tea for me to keep on hand!!!
Tea for the day,,,my little doggie helped pick it out. I had lots of black tea bags out and he kept nudging at this one with his nose so Congou Black it is!!!!!!!!!! My doggie has good taste.
Origin: Fujian Province, China
Dry Leaf: Thin threads, mostly black with some gold ones mixed in. Scents of malt and tobacco.
Method: Took this one down to 190F today with 1 tsp tea per 8 oz water. Brewed Western style, 2 cups at a time for 3 minute steep.
Wet Leaf: When these leaves hit the water, it was sweet malt heaven scent. Very young buds and leaves that have turned milk chocolate brown with scents of honey, chocolate, and molasses.
Liquor: Red/Brown color with malt and molasses scent.
Flavor: Smoke flavor up front but a sweetness hits the back of your throat. There is malt on the nose. Detect a bit of apple peel too. Good complexity.

Flavors: Apple Skins, Caramel, Malt, Molasses, Smoke