Golden Monkey (Jin Hou)

Cocoa, Honey, Malt, Orange Zest, Stewed Fruits, Vanilla, Chocolate
Edit tea info Last updated by Kryptryx

From Silk Road Teas

Our Monkey has everything a high–grade Fujian black tea should offer. Careful plucking of leaf and bud, followed by able processing yields a blend of short dark leaves flecked with golden buds. A full–bodied cup offering rich flavors of malt and a wonderful fragrance. This tea can take milk and sugar. Use 2-3 grams of leaf and steep for 2–3 minutes in water just under boiling.

About Silk Road Teas View company

There are already a lot of reviews for this tea, so I will keep this short. This is definitely one of the most enjoyable and multifaceted black teas I have ever come across. Yes, the notes of chocolate and spice are pronounced, but not overpowering. For me, nothing about it is too bitter or too sweet. It lends itself well for many arrangements: plain, with milk and/or sugar, with added spice as a chai…and here is one more instrumentation you may not have thought of: as a vodka infusion! Steeping the tea in the alcohol brings out those malty cocoa and spice flavors BIG TIME.

Below is the recipe I used from about.com. I cut the recipe in about a third to yield a smaller quantity, but probably still used just over 2 tsp of the tea (2.5 – 3 tsp). My only additional recommendation is to use quality vodka, not anything bottom shelf or watery. As with most drinks, the higher quality, the better. By the way, this goes perfect with cuisine from the northern parts of the silk road – Russian zakuski – Na Zdorovie!

Ingredients:
750 mL neutral-tasting vodka (a.k.a. “a fifth”)
6 level teaspoons good quality black tea leaves
Simple syrup (optional, to taste)

Preparation:
1. Using a funnel, place the tealeaves into the bottle of vodka. If necessary, lightly crush them first or use a chopstick to fit them through the funnel and into the bottle.
2. Replace the cap of the bottle and shake well.
3. Steep for about 18 hours, or to taste.
4. Pour the mixture through a strainer and funnel into a different bottle. (If you plan to add simple syrup, use a larger bottle.)
5. Discard the tealeaves. Add simple syrup to the remaining solution if desired.
6. Serve straight, on the rocks or as a base for more complex cocktails.

2011 Harvest. This is a great tea with a strong chocolate aroma and flavor with a rich mouth-feel. Smooth. Stands in stark contrast to the somewhat spicy black teas that many people are accustomed to. Definitely worth trying.

This is currently my favorite of all red teas and is what I tend to have when I get up in the morning. It has a rich, warm, round flavor that is heartening.

The dry leaves are golden and dark black/brown twisty threads that smell of orange, malt, cocoa.
The liquor smells sweet like stewed fruit, honey, cocoa,,,smells so heavenly.
I tasted this at two minutes and it was really delicious and still see-thru so I took it to another minute. It gave the tea a dark coffee look after that and the flavor was a deep, rich sorghum. I liked both two minutes and three minutes but I think I liked two minutes for this one the best.

Second Steeping—I gave the leaves another steep and stopped at two minutes. Yum Yum this brought out more malt and vanilla to the flavors.

Flavors: Cocoa, Honey, Malt, Orange Zest, Stewed Fruits, Vanilla

wow sounds so good:)

Lee

It was good,,,it was a sample size,, I should have gotten more :( lol

boychik

have you tried fr Teavivre?

Lee

When I ordered from them I was not as “in” to black tea and so I thought I liked Da Hong Pao for a darker tea. I now realize that I love the golden leaves and Yunnans so much!! Along with my white & green teas :)

boychik

teavivre is amazing in quality and price wise. And they have such an awesome sales in July(anniversary like 30-40% off) and Black Friday. unbelievable …

i can send you a sample

This was the first loose tea I have ever purchased. When I saw that the Prez had it in the White House, then I had to have it too. Perfect malty taste, earthy undertones at times. Sweet tasting and wonderful color. I made the mistake of ordering from another place at a higher price (dont ask me why, got sucked into the hype). It did not taste the same.
This is my go to tea when I want to relax, dare I say my favorite. I highly recommend.

Nice light (kinda earthy) aroma, with a great strong tasting body. No bitterness at all, as others have stated.