Japanese Sour Cherry

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Jillian

From Silk Road

Cherry haiku. Flavour profile: the blissful taste of delicate cherry & sencha with a beguiling, fruity aroma. Ingredients: Japanese green tea, sakura cherry essence.

About Silk Road View company

2039 tasting notes

Another green tea tonight. I always forget to reach for my green teas, and it’s sad because they’re the ones that need to be enjoyed right away. My goal is to drink 1-2 green teas a night when I’m home, to give them some extra love.

Tonight, this one is delicious. Sour, definitely. Cherry, so good. I added a small piece of rock sugar to bring out the flavour more, and it’s delicious this way. It’s a little like sour candies, except it’s not candy… :) The green tea base is pretty nice as well. It’s fairly green (lovely description there, self) but there’s not too much vegetable or grass or seaweed taste. Just enough so I know it’s a green tea.

I neglect all my green teas too. :( Poor greens. They’re so good.

IDK why, but I’ve never reached for green teas first. I need to finish off what I have and really think before buying more.

I should be better about them as well. And my non-caffeine teas too.

I like bringing an herbal tea or rooibos into my room with me when I’m getting ready for bed. I’ve managed to make it a habit. :) Now to make drinking green teas a habit!

For a while when I was “good” at drinking greens, I did it in the afternoon. It was less critical then that it wake me, and that worked for me. Who knows what the best strategy is though.

When I could drink tea at work I’d have oolongs and green teas after lunch. I actually just pulled all my oolong teas for an oolong drink-a-long, err, thing on Saturday.

What does everyone here do when their tea tastes extremely tired? Do you suck it up and drink it all?

I’ve had this for over two years now and time has not been kind. It tastes like wilted sweet veggies..

I generally toss it if it is that old and that weak.

Chuck it. Life’s too short for bad tea. ;)

Nah, if it’s stale, I let it go. I sort of feel bad for wasting it, but if you’re not enjoying it, what’s the point?

Thanks for the advice, everyone. :)

Lady 0f Spaydes

If it’s stale, let it go. If its just a diminishing of flavor, you could doctor it up with fruit and sugar and juices/spices that compliment it and make an awesome punch! Or lightly tea flavored pastries???

If it’s not good/unpleasant to drink, I say throw it out. If it’s lacking flavour, perhaps add more tea? I have some teabags sitting around that are super old (10+ years), but guilt is making me feel like I should attempt to drink them, when really, I should just throw them out…

I stick it in the compost bin

From the Great Canadian TTB.

This one is creamy/milky, smooth green tea. There are subtle cherry notes. Not quite what I would consider sour cherry but also not overly sweet. Not the Sakura Cherry taste that I am used to. Reminds me of cherry flavoured ice cream or a cherry cheesecake. Quite good in my opinion.

Great Canadian Traveling Tea Box

For having sour in the name, I was really expecting to hate this one but it’s really nice! There’s a hint of cherry when it’s unsweetened. It’s not sour at all, but light and fruity. After my 3 steeps of Rhubarb Vanilla Ale, I needed a bit of a palate cleanser and this was the perfect choice. Not a keep but definitely nice to try!

In case anyone has witnessed the large amounts of tea I’ve been logging due to the traveling tea box, I think I’ll be finished by tonight!

take your time if there’s more to explore… have fun with it!

Smooth sweet green with tart bright cherry notes that is extremely delightful to taste. This is really the only green tea that I enjoy. The flavor is satisfying and invigorating with no discernible grassyness but the tea does not age well with all desirable traits diminishing by 6 months. Unless you drink a lot purchase only 40 cup tins.

love this tea! one of the first flavoured greens i tried. lovely light cherry aroma, seems more like a bing cherry rather than a sour one to me, but i’m not complaining. really nice green tea flavour with cherry aftertaste. delicious!

second steep just as good :)

When I smelled this tea, it smelled sweet and sour with a very subtle cherry scent. I was a little disappointed as I was hoping for a stronger cherry flavour. But this tea blew my mind when I drank it. None of the reviews seem to mention the sour aspect of this tea, but I found it pretty intense. It felt really strange on my tongue, but in a good way! I can’t even describe it! But, I think it’s different for everyone. One friend said that they didn’t find it sour in any way, another friend said it was very faintly sour. The cherry flavour was quite light, but I think that made it even better. I steeped it a second time and the cherry flavour was stronger, but the sour was gone. Awesome tea!

Definitely one of my favourite flavoured Green Teas. It’s surprisingly sour and fresh which is just a perfect summer afternoon tea. It also works really well as an iced tea. Be sure to brew at the proper temp for Green Tea if you don’t want that bitter flavour!

A favourite! Light, fruity, delicious. Can use in recipes here: http://www.silkroadtea.com/tea_recipes.htm

hi, this is my first tasting note on steepster. for my first i have chosen the organic japanese sour cherry green tea from silk road teas.

i prepared this tea hot in my two piece tasting set (125ml/4oz), and cold brewed (first cold brew) in a 33 oz bodum french press. lets start with the hot brew..

the 1st infusion was at 71 C for 30 sec-
the cherry was present in the aroma but less so in taste. it had a tannin-y taste, slightly vegetal with a lingering bitterness that hits the tounge and cheeks and coats it with that sour, slightly citric taste/feel. not the most pleasant cup.

2nd, 45 sec, 74 C temp-
aroma was sweeter with stronger cherry. tastewise, chlorophyll was prominently picked up. this infusion as well as most of the others reminded me of the taste of a cherry flavored cough drop.

3rd, 60 sec at 75 C temp-
aroma: cherry comes at you with the vegetal smell, following is a sweetness.
still has an astringent, green taste with less fruity notes (at this pointed i suspected it’s life was coming to a end..)

..but i pushed for one more infusion- the 4th for 70 sec at 75 C-
aroma: strong smell of green (chlorophyll) with the the cherry twisted somewhere in there being harder to detect. taste: less bitter as a result of the tea slowly dieing i suspect. overall less of it’s previous notes and feel.

session duration: 1 hour

i would recommend this tea to those of you who are willing to pick this tea apart and like/love it for what it is. i personally appreciate it but would not dub it a favorite.. more of an educational experience. i believe i would order it again for one reason… cold brew.

indeed i commenced my first cold brew the same night of the hot brew. the thought that it may be the best way to brew this tea, just hit me out of nowhere.
i used 3 slightly heaping scoops with teavana’s perfect tea spoon. 33 oz of cold filtered vancouver tap water. i left it and went to sleep. 9 hrs and 53 min later i strained, decanted, and tasted it.

i love it, bitterness about 15- 20%, more of a lemony/lime taste in place of tannin. its quite sweet (as cold brew tends to produce,) and mellow. the cherry comes at around the tail end of the middle and through the last wave. unlike the hot brew the bitterness in no way dominates. i personally find it to have an almost honeydew/honey note, plus a note of sweetend grass underlying. despite the taste and aroma of the honeydew you still pick up cherry. the aroma is sort of like candied cherry instead of sour in my opinion.

will experiment with shorter cold brew times such as 2- 5 hrs for example.

i expect to brew this almost exclusively cold from now on unless the urge to refer back to hot comes up. may ice tea this also with a bit of rock sugar.

thanks for reading.