Japanese Sour Cherry

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Jillian

• “Another green tea tonight. I always forget to reach for my green teas, and it's sad because they're the ones that need to be enjoyed right away. My goal is to drink 1-2 green teas a night when I'm...” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 1471 tasting notes
  • “What does everyone here do when their tea tastes extremely tired? Do you suck it up and drink it all? I've had this for over two years now and time has not been kind. It tastes like wilted sweet...” Read full tasting note
    CrowKettle 496 tasting notes
  • “From the Great Canadian TTB. This one is creamy/milky, smooth green tea. There are subtle cherry notes. Not quite what I would consider sour cherry but also not overly sweet. Not the Sakura...” Read full tasting note
    Lala1 765 tasting notes
  • “*Great Canadian Traveling Tea Box* For having sour in the name, I was really expecting to hate this one but it's really nice! There's a hint of cherry when it's unsweetened. It's not sour at all,...” Read full tasting note
    jeweledthumb 302 tasting notes

From Silk Road

Cherry haiku. Flavour profile: the blissful taste of delicate cherry & sencha with a beguiling, fruity aroma. Ingredients: Japanese green tea, sakura cherry essence.

About Silk Road View company

Another green tea tonight. I always forget to reach for my green teas, and it’s sad because they’re the ones that need to be enjoyed right away. My goal is to drink 1-2 green teas a night when I’m home, to give them some extra love.

Tonight, this one is delicious. Sour, definitely. Cherry, so good. I added a small piece of rock sugar to bring out the flavour more, and it’s delicious this way. It’s a little like sour candies, except it’s not candy… :) The green tea base is pretty nice as well. It’s fairly green (lovely description there, self) but there’s not too much vegetable or grass or seaweed taste. Just enough so I know it’s a green tea.

Cavocorax

I neglect all my green teas too. :( Poor greens. They’re so good.

OMGsrsly

IDK why, but I’ve never reached for green teas first. I need to finish off what I have and really think before buying more.

Amariel

I should be better about them as well. And my non-caffeine teas too.

OMGsrsly

I like bringing an herbal tea or rooibos into my room with me when I’m getting ready for bed. I’ve managed to make it a habit. :) Now to make drinking green teas a habit!

Cavocorax

For a while when I was “good” at drinking greens, I did it in the afternoon. It was less critical then that it wake me, and that worked for me. Who knows what the best strategy is though.

OMGsrsly

When I could drink tea at work I’d have oolongs and green teas after lunch. I actually just pulled all my oolong teas for an oolong drink-a-long, err, thing on Saturday.

I’ve had this for over two years now and time has not been kind. It tastes like wilted sweet veggies..

Azzrian

I generally toss it if it is that old and that weak.

Ozli

Chuck it. Life’s too short for bad tea. ;)

Tabby

Nah, if it’s stale, I let it go. I sort of feel bad for wasting it, but if you’re not enjoying it, what’s the point?

CrowKettle

Thanks for the advice, everyone. :)

Lady 0f Spaydes

If it’s stale, let it go. If its just a diminishing of flavor, you could doctor it up with fruit and sugar and juices/spices that compliment it and make an awesome punch! Or lightly tea flavored pastries???

Kittenna

If it’s not good/unpleasant to drink, I say throw it out. If it’s lacking flavour, perhaps add more tea? I have some teabags sitting around that are super old (10+ years), but guilt is making me feel like I should attempt to drink them, when really, I should just throw them out…

canadianadia

I stick it in the compost bin

From the Great Canadian TTB.

This one is creamy/milky, smooth green tea. There are subtle cherry notes. Not quite what I would consider sour cherry but also not overly sweet. Not the Sakura Cherry taste that I am used to. Reminds me of cherry flavoured ice cream or a cherry cheesecake. Quite good in my opinion.

Great Canadian Traveling Tea Box

For having sour in the name, I was really expecting to hate this one but it’s really nice! There’s a hint of cherry when it’s unsweetened. It’s not sour at all, but light and fruity. After my 3 steeps of Rhubarb Vanilla Ale, I needed a bit of a palate cleanser and this was the perfect choice. Not a keep but definitely nice to try!

In case anyone has witnessed the large amounts of tea I’ve been logging due to the traveling tea box, I think I’ll be finished by tonight!

take your time if there’s more to explore… have fun with it!

Smooth sweet green with tart bright cherry notes that is extremely delightful to taste. This is really the only green tea that I enjoy. The flavor is satisfying and invigorating with no discernible grassyness but the tea does not age well with all desirable traits diminishing by 6 months. Unless you drink a lot purchase only 40 cup tins.

love this tea! one of the first flavoured greens i tried. lovely light cherry aroma, seems more like a bing cherry rather than a sour one to me, but i’m not complaining. really nice green tea flavour with cherry aftertaste. delicious!

second steep just as good :)

When I smelled this tea, it smelled sweet and sour with a very subtle cherry scent. I was a little disappointed as I was hoping for a stronger cherry flavour. But this tea blew my mind when I drank it. None of the reviews seem to mention the sour aspect of this tea, but I found it pretty intense. It felt really strange on my tongue, but in a good way! I can’t even describe it! But, I think it’s different for everyone. One friend said that they didn’t find it sour in any way, another friend said it was very faintly sour. The cherry flavour was quite light, but I think that made it even better. I steeped it a second time and the cherry flavour was stronger, but the sour was gone. Awesome tea!

Definitely one of my favourite flavoured Green Teas. It’s surprisingly sour and fresh which is just a perfect summer afternoon tea. It also works really well as an iced tea. Be sure to brew at the proper temp for Green Tea if you don’t want that bitter flavour!

A favourite! Light, fruity, delicious. Can use in recipes here: http://www.silkroadtea.com/tea_recipes.htm

GCTTB3

Sipdown!

I kept the very last of this tea for myself when it came around in the GCCTB3. The nice thing is that it was such a small amount of leaf – just under 2 tsp – that’s the perfect candidate for a quick and easy sipdown.

I’m glad I got to try a little for free, as this tea smells OK but tastes unusual. I’ve noticed sometimes a “curly” roasted flavour in some green teas that I don’t like, and this tea exhibits that characteristic. There’s the scent of the cherry, but underneath it is something more tart that I’m not too fond of. I’m just wondering if it’s the sensation of tartness itself I’m responding to, though, as another tea that made me feel this way was rhubarb-flavoured, which is another tart plant.

Anyways, hooray for easy sipdowns!