Earl Grey Assam

Edit tea info Last updated by LiberTEAS

• “Backlog: A really good version of Earl Grey utilizing an Assam base rather than the standard go-to Ceylon base. I like it when I find an Earl Grey where something other than Ceylon has been...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4641 tasting notes
  • “I've built up a sort of fear of Assams, because I'm not a big fan of malt flavors in my tea and they go bitter easily. In fact, I've never had an Assam/mix including Assam that didn't go bitter on...” Read full tasting note
    bluebelle 493 tasting notes

From Simple Loose Leaf

The extremely popular and refreshing blend of citrus bergamot over a rich Assam black tea base. This Earl Grey provides a rich and smooth finish to a famous tradition. Best served hot with milk and sugar.

About Simple Loose Leaf View company

Backlog:

A really good version of Earl Grey utilizing an Assam base rather than the standard go-to Ceylon base. I like it when I find an Earl Grey where something other than Ceylon has been used. Don’t get me wrong, I have nothing against Ceylon … but, I like to see how the bergamot mingles with other types of tea’s characteristics.

For example, I like how the malty notes of the Assam interact with the bergamot, and because I found this to be more of a wine-y Assam than a malty one … the black currant notes made for an interesting combination with the citrus notes.

Here’s my full-length review: http://sororiteasisters.com/2013/11/05/earl-grey-assam-black-tea-simple-loose-leaf/

I’ve built up a sort of fear of Assams, because I’m not a big fan of malt flavors in my tea and they go bitter easily. In fact, I’ve never had an Assam/mix including Assam that didn’t go bitter on me, which tends to completely put me off the tea in question. This, surprisingly, smells good to me. The bergamot mixes well with the scent of the tea itself.

The taste of this is completely different from what I expected. It’s full-bodied but doesn’t taste like it’s too much. The bergamot is equally fruity and flowery, and that somehow manages to taste good against the malty background of the base. I think this is the first Assam I would go out of my way to drink again. Yum!