Russian Caravan Black

Assam Fine Tippy Golden Flower Orange Pekoe Black Tea, Chinese Keemun Black Tea, Lapsang Souchong
Malt, Smoke
Edit tea info Last updated by Oolong Owl
Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 12 oz / 354 ml

From Simple Loose Leaf

Harmoniously blending the smokiness of Lapsang Souchong, the malty chocolate flavor of Assam and the crisp and smooth flavor of Keemun, “Russian Caravan” is a welcome addition to our family of teas. Best when enjoyed hot, this rich and soothing blend of fine black teas will warm your soul and enliven your mind.

Measure the desired amount of tea leaves and place into a teapot or teacup. Use 1 tsp or 2.3 g of tea leaves for every 8 oz. (1 cup) of water.
Bring the water to a rolling boil at 212 degrees F (100 degrees C).
Add enough hot water to submerse the tea leaves and let it sit for a few seconds before pouring out the water. Warming the tea leaves and teaware allow for a better brew.
Add boiling water and let the tea leaves steep for 3 to 5 minutes.

About Simple Loose Leaf View company

Thank you to SuperStarling! for this sample.

This is definitely a SMOKY tea. The scent out of the bag is like fire place ashes smoky. I was a little nervous brewing this up that it would be too much in the mouth.

My worries are slowly dissipating. Don’t get me wrong. This tea tastes smoky. There is no getting around that. But there are other flavors there as well. Specifically a sweet malt, and a bright black tea flavor. I’ll state this once again. You need to like smoky teas in order to even consider trying this. If you don’t like smoky teas and you try this, you’re not going to have a good time. But it is a flavorful smoke.

Flavors: Malt, Smoke

The name of the game is: How Many Times Can You Say “Smoky”? :D

I know. I almost added something to the effect of “Say smoky one more time…” Or, a nod to Super Troopers with the “Meow” count.

Super Starling!

I warned you! You SAID you liked smoky! YOU DESERVE WHAT YOU GET.

To quote Keith Sweat off of his 1996 album and title song, “You got me ‘Twisted’.” I actually ended up really liking the tea. Finished the pot and everything. I mean, my teapot still smelled like a campfire the next morning WHICH I LOVED! I liked it. That’s all.

Super Starling!

Oh my god you quoted Keith Sweat. Today rocks.

Just for you haha

I just realized it’s been nearly two weeks since my last tasting note! Yikes. Rest assured, I’ve not given up drinking tea, just … have been otherwise distracted.

Heavily smoked teas like a Russian Caravan don’t usually elicit a great deal of excitement from me, but, as far as smoky teas go, this is pretty good. I enjoyed it.

I like that I can taste components from each of the teas in this blend. I could taste the sweet, wine-like notes from the Keemun, the rich, malty notes of the Assam, and of course the strong, smoky character of the Lapsang Souchong.

Here’s my full-length review:

Whoa, this black was intense! I’m glad I tried a straight Lapsang Souchong yesterday so I was able to ID it out of the rest of the blacks in this black blend. In Russian Caravan Black is Lapsang Souchong, Keemum and Assam fine tippy golden flower orange pekoe. This black blend is mega rich, amber mellow, smooth, astringent, smokey, woody and earthy. Gorgeous tea too!

Though, despite liking a good dark pu’er, I found this black blend too rich for me. I’m not a huge black tea drinker, but I’m happy to of tried it!

Full review of this tea, as well as Simple Loose Leaf’s march selection club, at my blog The Oolong Owl