Japanese Sencha Saga

Green Tea
Sencha
Edit tea info Last updated by Short Sorceress

• “Backlog: This was in my May Selection Club box from Simple Loose Leaf. The aroma is vegetal, sweet and flowery. The fragrance was certainly familiar as I've had quite a few Sencha teas, but the...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4637 tasting notes
  • “Whenever I visit my family abroad, we go to their local outdoor pool. We spend the morning there, swimming and enjoying the sun before it gets too hot. My uncle always brings tasty food from...” Read full tasting note
    Kaylee 400 tasting notes
  • “Backlog from yesterday morning. I tried this using a lower steeping time yesterday, and the result was pretty good - green, vegetal, nutty, slightly astringent, but very tasty. Unfortunately,...” Read full tasting note
    cvasilevski 569 tasting notes
  • “There is something about the vegetal flavor green tea has that has appealed to me lately, which is why I selected this tea for my May box. I had hoped by now to be enjoying warm weather and iced...” Read full tasting note
    shortsorceress 2017 tasting notes

From Simple Loose Leaf

This high grade Japanese Sencha Green Tea boasts beautifully dark, wafery leaves and a strong, sweet grassy flavor. The brewed leaves provide a slight vegetal, seaweed flavor with a perfect balance of nutty, rice notes. Best served hot, in the traditional fashion.

About Simple Loose Leaf View company

Backlog:

This was in my May Selection Club box from Simple Loose Leaf. The aroma is vegetal, sweet and flowery. The fragrance was certainly familiar as I’ve had quite a few Sencha teas, but the gentle floral fragrance was unexpected and nice to discover.

Sweet green tea notes. The vegetal notes are sweet – not savory, not bitter, not even bittersweet. Just beautifully sweet with a soft, smooth texture. Like liquefied silk.

It has a strong vegetal flavor, like something between grass and kelp, but without the savory notes that often accompany those two descriptive flavors. There is also a layer of fruit note, similar to apple with a creaminess that I’d describe as a vanilla-ish note. Nice!

Here’s my full-length review: http://sororiteasisters.com/2014/05/06/japanese-sencha-saga-green-tea-simple-loose-leaf/

Whenever I visit my family abroad, we go to their local outdoor pool. We spend the morning there, swimming and enjoying the sun before it gets too hot. My uncle always brings tasty food from home. I love it. There are two things that always remind me of those times: garlic toast prepared a certain way, and the smell of freshly cut grass. So it makes sense that I associate grassy teas with good memories and warm weather. Today was definitely warm. Sencha time!

This particular sencha is one of the better ones I’ve had. It is just wonderfully light and grassy. I enjoyed it as my morning travel mug tea today. Mmm.

TheTeaFairy

I love this tea memory :-)

Backlog from yesterday morning.

I tried this using a lower steeping time yesterday, and the result was pretty good – green, vegetal, nutty, slightly astringent, but very tasty. Unfortunately, since I was out yesterday, this was the only tea I got to drink. At least it was a good one!

2017 tasting notes

There is something about the vegetal flavor green tea has that has appealed to me lately, which is why I selected this tea for my May box. I had hoped by now to be enjoying warm weather and iced tea, but instead enjoyed Japanese Sencha Saga Green as it is traditionally served, hot. With the first sip of this tea I was a bit surprised, while it has the characteristic sweet grassy flavor I expected, it wasn’t nearly as vegetal as many sencha teas I’ve tried. It did have a strong seaweed-like flavor and a tinge of bitterness, but both of those flavors dissipated as the tea cooled, leaving behind a cup of tea that was incredibly easy to drink. This particular sencha will likely appeal to anyone who doesn’t like the strong vegetal or bitter flavors commonly found in this type of tea. It was by far the most mild flavored sencha I’ve come across to date.

You can read the full review on my blog

Simple Loose Leaf has provided me with a free subscription to their Selection Club

Sencha!
Ooof! And wow. It’s so buttery. It’s so, SO, vegetal. And spinach-y.

It’s an interesting tea to experiment with but it’s just SO GREEN. I’ll try it again later and steep it less to see that allows me to enjoy it more.

This sencha was a lot less vegetal than i’m used to. It also brewed a bit golden, which surprised me because a lot of times sencha brews a nice spring green color. It was a decent tea, not my favorite sencha but not bad by any means. If you want to get into sencha but don’t like the strong earthy flavors that can come with it, this is a great tea for you.

175 °F / 79 °C 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp

Thanks so much for the $1 box, Simple Loose Leaf! This is a very thin cut dark grass texture. Not clippings from the lawn yet! just good tea. The 32 minutes cooling might have a bit too long, but I was worried it would get bitter at a hotter temp. This is tasty but light because of the long cool – buttery, sweet, nutty, sugary somehow. When it cools it starts tasting like tomato soup again! What is going on with my tastebuds? The second steep was nice too – seemed to have hints of citrus, though I’m not sure how.
Steep #1 // 32 minutes after boiling // 2 min
Steep #2 // 22 minutes after boiling // 2-3 min

I’m not sure how I feel about this tea. I may have had the water too hot today (I’m at work, and just guesstimating) as it just tastes a little off and I don’t remember it being like this last time. It’s more bitter than I remember, that’s for sure. This was the end of what I have, so I have no idea.

It does smell heavenly, though.