Pu'erh Tahiti

Fruit Pu-erh Blend
Apple Pieces, Dried Coconut, Mango, Marigold Flowers, Natural Coconut Flavor, Papaya, Pu Erh Tea
Coconut, Earth, Mango, Tropical
Bulk, Loose Leaf
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaterTotter

• “Backlog from last night. I tried this tea yesterday as part of my Sunday Tea and Books series. When I got this as part of my June subscription box, I got two large envelopes - so much that I...” Read full tasting note
    cvasilevski 489 tasting notes
  • “This was a sample with my $1 Simple Loose Leaf trial that I sure appreciated! Between requesting this and trying this one though, I've realized I'm not much of a fan since it is exactly the same...” Read full tasting note
    Tea Sipper 1381 tasting notes
  • “Of course I had to choose this tea as part of my Simple Loose Leaf Selection club. PU'ER! Hot, it is mostly ripe pu'er flavored backed with coconut with a light fruity finish - good if you want...” Read full tasting note
    awkwardsoul 1045 tasting notes
  • “For this tea we have a blend of Pu'erh, Apple, Coconut, Natural Coconut Flavor, Marigold, Mango, and Papaya Flavor. Long ago I had a tropical themed Pu'erh and was not the biggest fan, so lets see...” Read full tasting note
    SoggyEnderman 356 tasting notes

From Simple Loose Leaf

Decadent coconut, the fruity mystique of papaya and the soft earthiness of pu’er come together for an exotic experience not unlike a walk on the black sand beaches of its namesake. Tropical fruit notes and hints of mineral evoke thoughts of Pacific breezes and rain forest hikes.

About Simple Loose Leaf View company

Backlog from last night.

I tried this tea yesterday as part of my Sunday Tea and Books series. When I got this as part of my June subscription box, I got two large envelopes – so much that I figured I’d never finish it all and placed one of the two unopened envelopes into the GCTTB3.

How much I regret it now! This makes a great iced tea.

I’m still fairly new to pu’er teas, and new to pu’er blends in particular. This one smelled really interesting to me, as the normally earthy, somewhat damp and leathery scent of the plain leaf was transformed by the addition of the flavoured ingredients. The aroma when I opened the bag of dry leaf was really sweet, smooth, and creamy – almost like peach-flavoured yogurt, or even cheesecake.

Both cold and hot, the flavour of the tea is very true to the scent of the leaf: creamy, fruity, and somewhat tart, like it’s had some sort of dairy added, even though it hasn’t. Underneath it all there’s the earthiness of the pu’er base. I know this is hard to describe, but given the tart, creamy smell of the tea, it feels like this one is playing a little joke on my tastebuds, doing the ol’ switcheroo. Dare I say that the tea is somewhat…puckish?

Well, if you like A Midsummer Nights Dream this tea might suit. The full Sunday Tea and Books post is here: http://christinavasilevski.com/2014/07/sunday-tea-books-puer-tahiti/

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 2 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML
Cheri

I really enjoy your tea and books blog posts. :)

Christina

Aww, thanks! I get the sense that people like the idea, the thought process.

I have a question for you, though (and for any others who also like the ST&B posts): Does this format work for you? Are there any ways I could change things up to make them more sticky/appealing?

This was a sample with my $1 Simple Loose Leaf trial that I sure appreciated! Between requesting this and trying this one though, I’ve realized I’m not much of a fan since it is exactly the same as an Adagio blend I tried. This isn’t really the pu-erh for someone new to them to try. It might scare possibly pu-erh fans away. I really love pu-erh. The other day I think I realized they might be on the same level of love as black teas! WHAT?!?! How could that be? I guess I’ve been drinking some good ones lately. The flavor of the pu-erh here is a bit on the dusty side to me. Not on the strength a nice pu-erh should be. The leaves are loose, long and twisty which might be why. The fruity flavors with this one are nice with it, because without I think the pu-erh itself would be terrible. But the hints of fruit make it better.

Of course I had to choose this tea as part of my Simple Loose Leaf Selection club. PU’ER!

Hot, it is mostly ripe pu’er flavored backed with coconut with a light fruity finish – good if you want some pu’er with a tropical twist.

Iced – this is where this tea shines – it’s fruity mango papaya upfront, coconut finish with an interesting earthy background. Kinda similar to drinking a black tea, but more rich and earthy. I’m sure I could serve this to my iced tea friends and they’ll dig it.

Full review on my blog, The Oolong Owl http://oolongowl.com/june-simple-loose-leaf-tea-selection-club/

Iced
Christina

I’m still waiting for my box to show up. I hope it does soon…

Awkward Soul

I got mine last Friday, but I’m also in the US. Hopefully yours arrives soon!

For this tea we have a blend of Pu’erh, Apple, Coconut, Natural Coconut Flavor, Marigold, Mango, and Papaya Flavor. Long ago I had a tropical themed Pu’erh and was not the biggest fan, so lets see how this one compares. The aroma is a blend of mango sweetness, nutty coconut, and a tiny bit of earthy and metallic Pu’erh. The coconut has a bit of that ‘old’ coconut oil aroma, it is not off putting and it is very faint.

The aroma of the wet leaves is very, very sweet. Lots of tropical fruity and coconut. It is very evocative of summer time! The liquid has the coconut nuttiness and the fruity sweetness with a much stronger Pu’erh presence with notes of earthiness.

The taste, oh man, it is so sweet! Very strong notes of mango and papaya. This fades into very strong notes of coconut, and this lastly fades to a mild earthiness at the finish. I certainly enjoyed this one more than my last tropical Pu’erh, it is very sweet (which I like) and tastes like some of my favorite fruits.

For blog and photos: http://ramblingbutterflythoughts.blogspot.com/2014/06/simple-loose-leaf-june-subscription-box_7.html

Flavors: Coconut, Earth, Mango, Tropical

This was the sample I chose for the May Simple Loose Leaf box.
This is interesting. Caribbean flavors in a mild pu’erh base. It’s ok. The pu’erh adds a bit of depth to the flavors, but isn’t really prominent. I couldn’t really pick out the individual fruit flavors, but it was fruity, with some coconut.
I will probably choose this for the June box, because there really isn’t much else I’m interested in…

Cavocorax

Yeah. I’m picking it as well. For the same reasons.

Dexter

Yep, not much that I’m interested in. July is even worse for me….

This tea was good but I didn’t find it particularly memorable. It possessed the earthy tones of a classic pu’erh, although quite mild in my opinion. The fruit naturally sweetened the cup but I didn’t get a good sense of the tropical flavors that give this tea the name Pu’erh Tahiti.

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

I chose this as my sample for next month’s Simple Loose Leaf selections because it sounded interesting, but puerh’s make me a little nervous because when I don’t like them, I really don’t like them. Why not find out for sure?

And now that I’ve had some, I think I’ll select this one after all!
It definitely has that smooth earthy taste you would expect from a puerh, but it’s also bright and tropical! I can taste the creamy coconut, and fruity papaya. It’s not a blend I would have thought of, but it works!

So far I’m off to a good start with my subscription!

TheKesser

I don’t like them either. This note gives me hope that maybe someday I’ll like them too!

Cavocorax

I eased into puerhs by trying small samples of flavoured puerhs from DAVIDsTEA like Cinnamon Heart, and when that was acceptable, I ended up ordering a few from Tealux! (Tealux has a lot of interesting flavours and you can buy 1 oz as a minimum for reasonable prices, especially if you hit them during a sale: http://www.tealux.com/flavored_pu_erh_tea). If you wanted to experiment, that’s what I’d recommend. And then once you got used to that earthy taste, you could try some unflavoured ones.

TheKesser