Blueberry White

White Tea
Blueberry, Cornflower Petals, Shou Mei White Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

From Simple Loose Leaf

Our delicate Shou Mei White Tea is infused with a playful explosion of blueberries, cornflowers and blueberry flavor. The naturally floral white tea leaves fuse harmoniously with their fruity additions. Enjoy this tea any time you feel like a treat, hot or iced.

About Simple Loose Leaf View company

Meh.

I made this one iced as well, because it has totally been an iced tea day.

But this one is not my favorite. The blueberry is a little over the top and fake. It’s a shame because I think the shou mei is pretty nice in this tea, but overwhelmed by the fake blueberry. A little sugar might have helped the fake blueberry not taste so wrong to me, but I am hesitant to add sugar to iced tea.

If anyone is interested in trying this tea, let me know.

Kinda-sorta-backlog from a few days ago.

I made a big batch of this in my iced tea pitcher a few days ago, and have slowly been sipping it since. While the dry tea leaf and the brewed tea certainly smell of blueberry, I find it hard to discern in the tea itself without a little hit of sweetener.

As it goes, though, this isn’t bad. There’s a light floralness on the back of the tongue, and the body of the sip is nice, fresh, and clear. This is definitely a tea made for coldbrewing.

Also, in my last note, I complained that I didn’t have much to write about, but I just thought of something: where on earth are my incoming tea boxes?! I’m still waiting to hear about my Just Organic kickstarter tea package being sent out, and apparently my Teavivre teas had been sent out back in July but are still not here – they’re not even showing up as arrived in Canada yet. On top of that, I’m also waiting for a set of sampler teas from Teasenz. That one is more recent, so I know I shouldn’t expect it yet… but… I want my tea NAO! =^.^=

darby

Maybe your mail carrier likes tea and is hoarding them? ;)

Christina

Well, I’m assuming the Just Organic kickstarter stuff hasn’t even been sent out yet, since I haven’t gotten an email notification and was told I would get one. I’m getting really antsy about that one because the Kickstarter originally planned to have the tea sent out in July, but now it’s near the end of August and nada.

As for the others, I really don’t know. I trust Teavivre and know that their shipments can take a tad longer, but still, I just want my tea :)

I’ll admit that I’m partial to blueberry teas, but like all fruit flavored teas they can be really hit or miss. More often than not they taste nothing like the fruit they claim to be, but the Blueberry White from the August box is one of the few exceptions, it really tastes like blueberry. The blueberry flavor manages to capture the sweet and tart flavors of blueberry without drowning out the strong flavor of the Shou Mei White Tea that is used for the base. With most flavored white teas you’ll taste the flavor first and the base second (or not at all,) but with this tea the strong earthy flavors from the Shou Mei really shine. It’s a refreshing change from the norm, but I would have preferred just a bit more blueberry flavor.

You can read the full review on my blog:

Cheri

I got this one but I haven’t tried it yet. I’m looking forward to it.

Oh man, I love blueberries so much, they might be my favorite fruit and they are certainly my favorite fruity additive to various things. This particular tea is a blend of Shou Mei White Tea, Blueberries, Blueberry Flavor, and Cornflowers for a very intensely blueberry tea. When I opened the package I was greeted with a potent blueberry aroma similar to blueberry jam, it is intensely sweet. Under this strong blueberry aroma there is a nice leafy green, like fresh vegetation and lettuce. Brewing the tea turns my tea lair into a blueberry lair! It is sweet and fruity with a gentle hint of vegetation, the liquid without its leafy friends is essentially the same, but with an extra honey sweetness.

The taste is surprisingly gentle and delicate, I was expecting an explosion of blueberries, instead we have a gentle caress of Shou Mei. The taste starts out a blend of fresh vegetation, lettuce, and a touch of earthiness. This transitions to slightly peppery blueberries, but it is like someone squeezed some blueberry juice in my white tea, or I just ate blueberries and then drank some white tea. As the tea chills it takes on a bit of a sage taste to it which goes really well with the blueberries. Absolutely yum!

For blog and photos: http://ramblingbutterflythoughts.blogspot.com/2014/08/simple-loose-leaf-august-subscription.html

Cheri

I can smell this one through the unopened packaging, which is generally not the case with SLL teas.

Amanda 'SoggyEnderman' Wilson

That is very true! It is a crazy potent tea.

Mmm blueberries. I’m too dangerous to be around blueberries as I eat them all! HAHA!

Anyways – for the August Box of Simple Loose Leaf Selection club I chose this tea – Blueberry White, a shou mei white. The dry leaf is pretty big leafed and twiggy – very hard to measure so I suggest using a scale.

The flavor leans a lot to the shou mei – which has a strong juicy fruity flavor. The blueberry comes out a little at first sip and aftertaste, so just a twist on a strong cup of white tea. I’d personally like more blueberry, but the white tea is pretty good.

Full review of this tea (and the rest of my August Simple Loose Leaf box) on my blog, The Oolong Owl. http://oolongowl.com/august-simple-loose-leaf-selection-club/

200 °F / 93 °C 2 min, 30 sec 3 g

Method: 1/5 tsp, 8 oz, 200 degrees, 3 minutes, French Press

Aroma: Smells like blueberries

Flavor: It’s a little light for me. I would have liked more blueberry. It’s still good. I added a little sugar at the end, and that was nice. I think the blueberry was maybe a 5 on a scale to 10. I would have liked an 8 or better.

I chose Blueberry White as my August sample. Recommended temperature is 200F but I lowered it a bit. I was baffled to see it was so high. For a white tea?? o_O Though based on the cup I’m currently having, it seems that brewing this at that temperature might not be as bad as I thought. I don’t understand white tea.

A deliciously flavored tea! The blueberry is light in both aroma and taste, and it blends well with the Shou Mei, which, as far I can discern, tastes like white tea. I rarely drink white teas – they’re too delicate and subtle and have an odd grassy flavor. With this one, the grass isn’t so bad since it has blueberry flavoring for a companion. A good balance. Good ol’ blueberry.

Cheri

This sounded really good. I figured it would be one of my selections next month.

KiwiDelight

I’ve made up my mind to get an ounce of this. I was originally going for the unflavored honeybush, but BLUEBERRY!! Hope you like it as much as I do.

Cameron B.

I feel like they shouldn’t have one of the slots be only white teas… They’re all shou mei so far, so how much variation can you get… I think they should have one slot be oolongs only and one be white OR puerh teas.

Cheri

What will you get as your other tea then?

KiwiDelight

Cameron B It could be that it’s just for two months in a row because they have left over Shou Mei (assuming they blend the teas themselves). I don’t specifically know what they included in past boxes because it’s my first. Maybe they’ve already done that.

Cheri Lady Earl Grey, Milk Oolong, and Four Seasons (sample)

Cameron B.

I dunno, I checked the past menus on their website and every single one is a flavored shou mei… Harumph.

KiwiDelight

Oh I didn’t do that durrrrrrr. “Harumph” indeed! You should send them your feedback.

Cameron B.

Yeah, I wrote them a note when I submitted my choices for next month! I chose Blueberry White, Lady Earl Grey, and a sample of Four Seasons. I’m glad I chose the Milk Oolong sample this time, I didn’t like it as much as I thought I would…

KiwiDelight

Sweet! I wanted to try different milk oolongs for comparison. Which is your third tea?

Cameron B.

I think it’s either get all five teas or pick two teas, isn’t it? Plus the sample from the next month.

KiwiDelight

ACK. I made it a mistake D: I’m just getting samples everything then…

Cameron B.

Honestly, I wish it were pick three. That way if there’s a tea I know I’ll hate, I don’t have to sacrifice two others in order to not get it. :P