Apple Cinnamon Coffeecake

Edit tea info Last updated by Kittenna
Boiling 3 min, 15 sec 11 oz / 315 ml

• “Apparently I don't have too much of this one left! Which is ok only because I have too many other teas :D Anyhow, into the travel mug it went, and it was oh-so-tasty. I had somehow forgotten about...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2221 tasting notes
  • “I am not getting what I want out of this tea. It smells very nice, but it doesnt brew up to what I think it will. I think I was expecting pie, even though this is supposed to be cake flavored. I'm...” Read full tasting note
    Rosehips 810 tasting notes
  • “Oooh i like this one :) Again, i either went in on it with Kittenna or she gave me a taste. Either way thanks to *Kittenna* who arranged things! I REALLY am enjoying this one even if the...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4552 tasting notes
  • “Tea of the morning here. the dry leaf smells so amazing and I had such high hopes for the tea itself. It isn't bad, it's just a lot lighter on flavor than I was expecting it to be. I am...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2294 tasting notes

From Simpson & Vail

A new addition to our flavored tea line and already a huge hit with all of us here! This slightly sweet, scrumptious blend has a lightly toasted flavor with the delicious taste of apples and cinnamon. Sipping this tea reminds me of the Sunday morning breakfast treats of my childhood. Now that I’m all grown up I could have those treats every day of the week; however, I think I’ll stick to this tea blend instead. It’s full of the sinful tastes of childhood but, with no calories, it suits my adult metabolism!

Ingredients: Black teas, organic cinnamon chips, apple pieces, orange blossoms and flavoring.

Brew tea at 212º – steep for 3 minutes.

About Simpson & Vail View company

I don’t know what it is, but I cannot enjoy these Simpson & Vail teas I got. After Strawberry Cupcake, I’ve just been afraid to break into the others and it’s evident why with this one.

I don’t know what I can do differently! I steep for 3 minutes, I use 200 degree water. They just taste watery and have an unpleasant aftertaste.

This one at least is more tolerable than the strawberry one. But I don’t think it really tastes like apple cinnamon cake or anything. Maybe a bit cinnamon but i don’t understand what it is about either the flavoring they use or the base tea.

Marcel Duchamp

I haven’t tried this one but for the other S&V teas, I steeped for 5 minutes. That’s what I did for Strawberry Cupcake and Oatmeal Almond Cookie.

see i really like this one… less a fan of the strawberry one. their rootbeer one is totally spot on, but not something i wanna drink. creme brulee is meh to me.

Marcel Duchamp

I wondered about the rootbeer one. I thought about trying that one iced.

heh so as far as the rootbeer one is concerned it’s REALLY strong in terms of smell. I’d have to heck my reviews as well, but i think i preferred it hot.

momo

If you want it to be more reminiscent of root beer, add club soda or some kind of sparkling water to dilute it as iced tea. I did that w/the Root Beer Float one from Davids and that’s the only way I’ll drink it.

Thank you Momo for this yummy sample! This is good stuff!
I will be doing a full review on SororiTea Sisters soon but let me tell you this one hits the spot and is the perfect tea to have while wrapping holiday gifts! :)

Donna A

I thought this one was scrumptious!

TeaBrat

This sounds yummy, I want some!

Thank you Scheherazade for this sample.

I can smell the apple, cinnamon and coffee in it’s raw form but it’s hard to say which one is dominant. Though they are not all to my personal taste (I’m talking about you coffee) they work well together, like a warm pastry or cake styled dessert.

Flavour is dark and toasty with the coffee being fairly strong but petering out with a sweet yet spicy cinnamon finish. It’s also rather dry and nutty. The apple is not as strong in flavour as it’s raw scent at this point but I believe it’s as least keeping the blend lightly sweet.

It takes some getting used to with the strong and bitter coffee flavour and it’s a very interesting blend overall. It was worth a try and but sadly this blend is just not for me. Perhaps someone who drinks coffee would love it but I will personally stick to original apple and cinnamon blends.

…………………………………………………………..

Also I mentioned last night about getting a new kitten, well I am due to receive him today some time. He is 16 weeks old and pure black with some tabby stripes. Sooty is still a real possibility but I think I need to meet him first before naming him.

Here is a picture I received from the owner:

Lala

Awwww, he is super cute!

JustJames

hah! caught mid sentence! ‘did i give you permission to take my picture? no!’

Angrboda

Aww how adorable!

yyz

So cute, enjoy him!

TheTeaFairy

A real cutie pie!

tigress_al

How fun, a new kitty!

Simpson & Vail describes Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake as having a lightly toasted flavor with the delicious taste of apples and cinnamon and I can’t really say it any better than that. The flavorings are subtle and should appeal to those who don’t like a lot of spice. I found it to be quite enjoyable, but had to play around with steeping times for this and some of the other flavored blacks that I ordered from Simpson & Vail. At 3 minutes, I find them to be ever so slightly bitter, but at 2 minutes, a bit weak- I think 2 minutes and 50 seconds does it perfectly for me with this one. I think this is a very nice dessert tea, especially for this time of year.

Smells just like the name states. The flavor is very nice! It’s a gently roasted black tea with juicy apple notes, hints of citrus, a nice even cinnamon flavor, and that stereotypical coffeecake taste! A smoother aftertaste, too, which was a nice surprise!

Trying this as a cold brew because I figured the apples would be cool beans in a cool environment and the dictatorial base may take a backseat. It’s much better this way, I think. I get more of the apple and spices this way.

As I was taking the first sip, the smell of the base had me worried but it all worked out in the end, folks.

Thanks to Kittenna for another S&V sample!

Again, hard not to have high hopes for this one given the heavenly scent wafting from the little baggie. But also yet again, the taste did not compare to the smell.

I tried it twice to be sure (using fresh leaves, not a resteep) and sadly, it’s just MEH. That’s the word I’d use if I had to sum this tea up in one word. Or “Disappointing”. Because it’s very watery, thin, not at all full bodied. The smell is misleading. There’s a faint hint of what it could have been. Untapped tea potential.

So this one is not on my wish list.

I’ve been spoiled by Della Terra’s dessert teas because the smell actually often matches the taste, and they’re usually pretty full bodied.

This one is drying out my teeth. That means it’s astringent, right? I still don’t really get that.

Glad I got to try it though because I would have assumed all S&V teas were as tasty as the Almond Sugar Cookie!

weird. we didn’t have issues with this one

whatshesaid

I find it really weak and rather than tea it tastes like mildly flavoured water, not sure if I somehow screwed up the infusion. It was a bit better than the creme brûlée but nothing like the almond sugar cookie, sadly.

whatshesaid

I was just really disappointed that it was not like the smell.

whatshesaid

Maybe it was underleafed? Not sure.

Kittenna

This one was definitely my fave; sorry to hear you didn’t like it! I think/hope I sent a full 3tsp+, and this isn’t one that I standardly overleaf myself, so that should have been enough. Oh well! I wouldn’t buy it again either, to be honest, as there are other teas I’d prefer.

whatshesaid

Yeah I used about the same as what I used for the Sugar Cookie one so I guess it’s just my taste. It wasn’t disgusting but I wish it tasted like it smelled.

Another Sipdown from Sil’s Super Sampler of Teas!!

I used all of this making a 16 teapotful, to share with one of my students. It was a sweet a tasty treat, reminding me somewhat of the oatmeal raisin cookie tea I tried last week, only I like this one better. The only negative was as it cooled it got a little of chalky mouthfeel & an artificial edge to it. But otherwise, it was a tasty treat! Thank Sil!

Swap from TastyBrew!! I wasn’t expecting to like this because from what I’ve tried, I don’t like most apple teas. I LOVE apples, and mostly everything apple flavored, but teas just don’t hit the mark for me. However, this had a fresh baked cinnamon apple flavor. Like baked apples fresh out of the oven sprinkled with some ground cinnamon. But it also had the cakey, bakery like taste of the coffeecake. It’s a smooth tasty combination with distinct flavors. I might steep it at a little bit of a cooler temp that 212 though, I might go with 180 because the bitterness of the black tea CAN overpower the flavors if you steep even a second too long. Usually I find a lower temp fixes that.

Thanks Kittena for sending some of this my way :)

Wow I could smell this steeping from the next room. And it smelled amazing!

The apple is subtle, but there, and it’s just so cake-y tasting. This is a great dessert tea. Hmm I may have to contemplate an S&V order.

Also, it gets even better as it cools. I am thrilled I got to taste this one. Delicious!