English Toffee

Edit tea info Last updated by TeaEqualsBliss

From Simpson & Vail

English Toffee is a sweet made with sugar and butter. This decadent tea has a sweet, creamy taste with no calories! Blended with black teas from China and Sri Lanka, our English Toffee tea brews to a deep amber cup with a light butterscotch taste.

Ingredients: black teas, flavoring, and marigold petals.

Brew tea at 212º – steep for 3 minutes.

About Simpson & Vail View company

Today I am tasting the black tea base, and nothing else that has been advertised. Gah. Where is my toffee goodness.
I am still not finding a solution for these teas from Simpson and Vail. Bah.

TastyBrew

Overleafing (like 1Tbsp/8oz) for 2.5 mins at 180 didn’t help? Shoot. They are super finicky. I found a few that ended up ok like that, but will never reorder due to how touchy they are.

Rosehips

I spaced the overleafing today. My next go, I will remember, as I’ve heard thats the way to go. But I agree, I will not be reordering.

Right now, this is amazing.

Thank you, tea.

(With coconut cream.)

2.5tsp/16oz

Courtney

Any chance you’re interested in the rest of my English Toffee? It’s lost it’s amazingness for me sadly.

OMGsrsly

No thank you, but I do appreciate the offer. :) This one usually takes a lot of overleafing to be toffee flavoured. It’s just really good right now because I still can’t taste much. Definitely not a re-stock for me, unlike the Gingerbread. :)

Courtney

I will try to overleaf it myself, I haven’t tried that yet. :)

Courtney

Haha and I swapped out my Gingerbread.

OMGsrsly

Use 1.5 tsp per 6-8oz if you usually use 1 tsp. It’s better, but not quite fantastic. :)

Thanks!

Last night I was having a serious craving for sweets so it’s probably a good thing I don’t have any in the house! I’m not getting much exercise while I stay at home with my broken arm and I’m hoping not to gain any weight during this time.

So somehow this seems slightly decadent to me this morning. I brewed it in my stump teapot and am finding it fairly tasty. I am picking up toffee and marigolds although it is not a super strong flavor. I enjoyed this with a bit of stevia and soymilk. Getting a bit of burnt sugar in it somewhere. I’ll close my eyes and pretend I’m doing something really sinful – he he he. See previous notes if interested.

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML
TheTeaFairy

Hope your arm heals quickly…

TeaBrat

thanks! xox

Suziqzer

Sounds like a good one. Considering a Simpson & Vail order in my near future. :)

TeaBrat

Suz – I’ve been shopping with them for years, they definitely have a lot of stuff to try!

Suziqzer

I got a catalog from them recently… Could be dangerous!

I have come to the realization that S&V does dessert teas well. Quite well actually. I was sitting here sipping away at this, and next thing I know, it’s gone.

This was very tasty. Not overly sweet, but sweet enough. For some reason it was reminding me of Maple Pecan Oolong in the last few sips, but I have a feeling that’s because I just read a tea note on that tea haha. I may have to make another cup and update this note.

Cavocorax

That’s good to know! Now that I figured out you can get better shipping to Canada if you call the order in, I’ll have to place an order in the spring!

Courtney

Gah! I just started an online cart, I have to stop all these tea orders!

cavo… dont forget ME if you do…

Cavocorax

I’ll try not to! It won’t be for a while though, but I’ll make a note in my spreadsheet somewhere. :)

And Courtney – if you try and order online the min shipping will say $30 to Canada, but if you call it in it’ll start at $9. Otherwise you can place the order, and then email them to refund the difference. I haven’t tried it yet, but I emailed them and that’s what they told me.

Cavocorax

Sil – I think if I order from somewhere “rare” in the US like that, I’ll give you a heads up first.

Courtney

Yes, I know Jessi emailed them a while ago about shipping and it began at $9. I will have to give them a call to place this order. I have the worst self-control when it comes to tea.

Cavo – if we do it later, we can use sharon too. Only reason a shared order would be really nice is because of their sizes. it’s sad but 2 oz is just so much. 1 is better LOL

MissB

I’m making an order with S&V this weekend, and having it shipped to my US tea place. Just a matter of waiting to see if they do anything more outrageous than just free shipping over $25. Happy to add if anyone wants me to, and then send it over. I’ve got two other folks in on that order already… :)

Courtney

I’d love to get on board MissB!

OMGsrsly

MissB, you are SUCH an enabler.

MissB

I think I need to change my handle on Steepster to, “The Enabler”. :)

This is VERY nice! Sweet, sugary, buttery, light, smooth! Butterscotch, even!? I’m rather surprised at how FEW English Toffee Teas there are – perhaps S&V is at the beginning of a tea trend, again!? The tea world smiles!

DaisyChubb

English Toffee tea ; 3; yes that is the tea for me! S&V should give you a coupon for the amount of money I’m going to spend on them thanks to you :D

TeaEqualsBliss

Tell them The SororiTEA Sisters sent ya! (LiberTEAs and I)

I did my usual S&V brewing method, which is pour the water over the leaves and completely forget I made it. Then I added some honey. Then I took it a step further. I left it on the counter and drove my son to school. When I came back it was pretty much cold. I added some cream at that point. Woah. Yum. Burnt sugar caramel deliciousness. S&V tea flavors really pop once they cool off a bit. This will definitely be reordered.

It is stupidly cold in my office. Really. Counting the minutes until I can go home (leaving after a lunch presentation), and trying desperately to keep warm with tea.

Thanks to MissB for this cup! I always take an opportunity to try out samples of S&V teas since they do have some good ones. Honestly I drank this one down pretty quickly, but it was definitely tasty. English Toffee? Well, maybe not what I think of as English Toffee. It was nice and nutty, but lacking the high-heat caramel toffee flavor I was desiring. At least, I think it was. Too cold to think straight? It was, in any case, tasty enough that I had no problem slurping it down in record time.

Stephanie

It is cold in my office too…yesterday I was smarter and wore a huge marshmallowy sweater. I thought it was going to be warmer today! shivers

Dinosara

Yeah I am wearing my heavy winter jacket on top of sweaters, as well as my winter hat. And I’m still freezing!

keychange

Freezing in my office also. And I wish I could go home after lunch!

Dinosara

I forgot to mention that there is literally ice on the wall inside my office (frozen condensation)!

Stephanie

Yeah, lets all take a half day and go home and have naps and bubble baths…doesn’t that sound awesome? sigh

At least I’m not wearing my coat I guess. Cold but not that desperate, yet…

This is one of the more fragrant of S&V’s offerings, and thus covered in tinfoil whenever I send it, as well as in my stash.

Steeped, it’s less flavorful, which surprised me. I wonder with S&V; I’m one of those people that steeps tea up at the temperature and time I think it should be if there’s zero instruction on the packaging. So, I guessed. 1 tsp per 8 ounces, boiling water, 4 minute steep. Perhaps I need to overleaf it?

It’s a lovely tea, full bodied and rich, however there’s only a hint of english toffee at the very end of the sip, and it lingers. Buttery is definitely covered however – a decadent treat in that respect.

Ah, yes. Okay, suggested steeping is boiling for 3 minutes. Will try that next time.

EDIT: The description says “light butterscotch” which is accurate. I guess I just expected more from the initial, delightful smell. Upping rating slightly.

OMGsrsly

1.5 tsp per 8 oz. :) It’s my sweet spot, at least!

MissB

Ah… good to know! Thank you. :)

This is a warm, sweet, buttery cup of tea with the flavor of carmalized sugar, bordering on the side of burnt. Not bad at all. Thank you Dexter3657 for sharing.

My amazing “tea mule” Tastybrew sent this to me, along with two other S&V teas, one being the one I know I love, Almond Sugar Cookie.
I took a chance on this one, as some others I’ve tried have left me with a feeling of “meh”.

Sadly this one didn’t work out… So far. I brewed it at work with boiling water and no doubt oversteeped it, and it tasted like slightly flavoured hot cardboard, kind of like some of their other samples did. BUT, I hear there’s a better way to bring out the flavours of these S&V teas, 180 degrees for a couple minutes I think it was, so I plan to try that and withhold my rating for now.

Either way, thank you, Tastybrew!!!

in some ways i’m glad that you’re not liking them…leaves me less inclined to order 10981239812038123 when i finally place an order with S&V

whatshesaid

I have three different ones, this, almond sugar cookie and strawberry sundae (whatever it’s called) so if you haven’t tried those or would like to try again I can certainly send you samples :)

i think i’ve tried all of those except the english toffee. no orders until june so i’m trying to sort out which will be my YAY it’s June! (or july) order lol