China Lapsang Souchong

Malt, Pine, Roasted Barley, Salt, Smoke, Toast
Edit tea info Last updated by Hesper June

1 Tasting Note View all

• “I finished off the last of my ounce of this tea last night. Unfortunately, I’m getting ready to start my workday, so I can’t do a full review, but I will do a quick tasting note. Prior...” Read full tasting note
    eastkyteaguy 33 tasting notes

From Simpson & Vail

From the Wuyi Shan region in the Fujian Province of China comes this pine smoked black tea. China Lapsang Souchong is not for the faint of heart, you either like it, or you don’t! The large tealeaves are smoked by a unique pine process to produce an amber cup with a mellow smoky flavor.

Brew tea at 212º – steep for 3 minutes.

About Simpson & Vail View company

1 Tasting Note

Prior to infusion, the dry leaves produce scents of smoke, pine, and malt. After infusion, the tea shows an attractive golden amber in the glass. Aromas of pine, smoke, toast, sea salt, malt, and roasted barley are evident on the nose. Notes of smoke, pine, toast, roasted barley, sea salt, and malt swirl around the mouth. The finish is dry, offering plenty of toast, smoke, and pine character.

Overall, I find this to be a solid lapsang souchong. Compared to some of the others I have tried, this one is smooth and approachable. It is not quite as hearty as I would like, but I could see this being a great introductory lapsang souchong for those curious about this style of tea.

Flavors: Malt, Pine, Roasted Barley, Salt, Smoke, Toast