Duke Cardiff's Black Tea Blend

Edit tea info Last updated by Kittenna

• “Still working my way through the Simpson and Vail order I received yesterday. This tea smells very fruity in the tin and has purple flowers in it. :) This was steeped for around 3 minutes and...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2356 tasting notes
  • “*Amy Oh* and *Nicole* had me curious about this one so I got it! Glad I did! It's way different than I was expecting but that is what I like most about it. The various black teas used in the...” Read full tasting note
    teaequalsbliss 6770 tasting notes
  • “Very noticeable grape scent from the steeped tea. Seems lightly sweet though there is no sweetener in the blend and I added none. I know that true currants do not come from grapes but the grape...” Read full tasting note
    nburriss 519 tasting notes

From Simpson & Vail

George, a customer in our retail store, came in one day and asked us to duplicate a blend for him that he used to enjoy and could no longer find in the US. After hearing his description and tinkering around, we unveiled this blend. Duke Cardiff is a hearty, well-rounded blend of China and Indian teas that has an amber cup with a light currant after-taste. George still comes in to purchase Duke Cardiff blend, as do many of you now. We’ll never forget the day George came in for his tea wearing a kilt. He’d just come from a parade in the next town where he had played his bagpipes. With a little urging from us he treated us to a private show, much to our delight. As he headed off to his car, still playing his pipes, we all took a moment to reflect on how lucky we are to have such amazing customers.

If you haven’t tried George’s tea yet, give it a try. We think once you do you’ll add this blend to your favorites list.

Brew tea at 212ºF – steep for 3 minutes.

About Simpson & Vail View company

This was steeped for around 3 minutes and soymilk was added, but I think it would be very good plain as well. This tea is hefty enough for morning but would also be good as an afternoon tea. The currant flavor is light and not too sickening like some currant teas can be. The description says China and India teas but I’m not sure I could place which ones – perhaps a yunnan and an assam? In any case I definitely like this blend and am happy I got a tin of this. It will be a great everyday drinker.

Nik

Such a beautiful tea! (That’s not something to which I usually pay any attention, so I find this one especially remarkable.) I couldn’t find any Ribena at my usual supermarket the last time I was there. I’m itching to sweeten one of these currant teas with just a few drops of Ribena. =)

TeaBrat

Ribena – I have no idea what that even is… lol

Nik

Oh, I’m sorry, I always include links and completely forgot.

Amy Oh and Nicole had me curious about this one so I got it! Glad I did! It’s way different than I was expecting but that is what I like most about it. The various black teas used in the base make up a flavor of its own and it does have notes of grape and/or currant as others as well as the product description noted. There is a bit of smoke but more notably the peppery black tea popping thru. And there are fruity/floral notes, too! This is very different but quite good, indeed!

Very noticeable grape scent from the steeped tea. Seems lightly sweet though there is no sweetener in the blend and I added none. I know that true currants do not come from grapes but the grape smell and taste is so distinct as to make me wonder if dried currants were used in this blend because I think most dried currants do come from grapes – Black Corinth grapes.

A very enjoyable blend. I may have to keep this one on hand.