Floral, Flowers, Violet, Soap
Edit tea info Last updated by Kittenna

From Simpson & Vail

I love springtime! The beginning of the growing season, the plants coming alive, the birds rapturously serenading, the warmer breezes blowing…. I always hold off on the first mowing of my lawn as I hate to destroy the beautiful sea of green, happy yellow dandelion flowers and the varying array of cheery violet flowers. In my garden beds I always like to grow borders of different violets. Their happy little petals put a spring in my step and add a new dimension to my culinary creations. I love to pick violet petals and candy them with sugar to make decorations on cakes and muffins.

When we were looking for new floral teas to offer I was thrilled to find this violet flavor. Added to our black tea blend, it produces a deep amber cup that is wonderfully fragrant. This tea tastes like springtime in a cup!

Ingredients: black teas, violet flavor, and malva (mallow) blossoms.

Brew tea at 212º – steep for 3 minutes.

About Simpson & Vail View company

So apparently I’m the first person to review this tea!

Anyhow, the aroma is very…. interesting. It smells almost soapy, but not, just more in the sense that the aroma is one that one would more likely associate with bath products as opposed to tea. Flavourwise it’s flowery and sweet (not sugary, though), and I suppose, “spring-y” as the description mentions. Quite an interesting aroma. My lack of palate training is definitely hurting me here! The black tea base is fairly unassuming, strong enough to back the violet flavour well, but not interfering with the flavouring. There’s also very little astringency at the recommended infusion time of 3 minutes.

Overall, probably not a tea I’d re-purchase, but certainly one that has helped to satiate my curiousity as to what “violet flavour” tastes/smells like!

ETA: Second infusion is pretty similar.

darky

thats a first tea smelling like soap, is that a good or bad or just weird thing? :p

CHAroma

At the very least, weird.

Kittenna

I’ve had teas with coconut and various other ingredients smell/taste soapy before. This one was more just soooo similar to a fragrance used for bath products, not tea, that it threw me. It wasn’t actually soapy (I would have had to dump it out). Just totally not a tea flavour to me!!

So this is what violets taste like. Huh.
I don’t think I like it. Well, I want to… like it. And I can almost get there, but nope, it isn’t happening.
Shame, I expected to enjoy this one! After sampling the candied violets at Sloane tea, which this tastes almost identical to, I was positive I’d fall in love! After all, it’s essentially the same flavour profile… sweet floral and what? somehow the liquid vs candied form makes that much of a difference? I am a texture oriented person, so I should have known really. No reason it should take me by surprise but it does nonetheless.
So… if you are a person who loves floral tea, this is the one for you! don’t let my review stop you. It isn’t bitter or astringent at all, and I think it will go nicely in baking!
As for soapiness, I would say that it tastes the way lavender soap smells. Not the way it tastes, at all! I’ve accidentally eaten soap suds before and they are vile terrible things. Likewise, I’ve had tea that tastes like soap suds, which this one does not. So when I say that this tea is slightly soapy, I mean that in the most pleasant way possible. If there is such a thing. (not that I enjoy it, but I can see how someone would. In fact this might be foisted on the Mumster)

Azzrian

LOL I actually understand this.
Wish you enjoyed it more though.

Indigobloom

oh whew! it was so mixed up, I wasn’t sure if anyone could follow my train of thought haha. Oh well, can’t love em all! :D

Kittenna

Yeeeaaaahhhhhh…..

Indigobloom

Kittenna… you know what I mean! lol

I’m sipping on this while I’m impatiently waiting for my supper to be ready so I can scarf it down and get back to work. Mmm, violet. It could use a better base, though.

Courtney

I was starved tonight! I tried waiting patiently for J to get home, but ended up giving in and eating without him. Whoops! :P

Fjellrev

Aww! Sometimes you can’t help it.

Courtney

I couldn’t seem to get enough to eat tonight. So bizarre. Now I’m back on tea and water for the rest of the evening.

EDIT: I have contacted S&V and they are replacing my entire order – this time double-bagging and ziplocking. I feel a little sad that they had to do this, but I’m glad I contacted them. Thank you, Nichole and TeaBrat for encouraging me to say something. I have trouble standing up for myself sometimes.
-—————
I am facing a tea tragedy. Violet teas are one of my absolute favorites. I basically convinced myself to place my most recent order on the fact that Simpson & Vail makes a violet tea.

However, S&V sent their teas to me in rolled up paper bags, like the ones you get coffee beans in. They were by NO means airtight. I knew when I received the box that they had poorly packaged my order because I could smell it through the cardboard. Sadly, one tea in particular, Strawberry Cupcake, had contaminated basically the whole box. It absolutely reeked of Tootsie Roll chocolate.

So, I can tell this is good underneath it all! The black tea base isn’t too bitter or astringent. The violet is mild, but very much present. It doesn’t taste like I’m drinking soap or old lady perfume. And the little purple flowers mixed in are just lovely. But! There’s also a very distracting and unwanted chocolate taste. Thus, my tea tragedy. :(

Rating based on what I could taste beyond the contamination.

Flavors: Floral, Flowers, Violet

Nichole

Sad! I wonder why they sent the teas in rolled up bags. That doesn’t seem right. Have you sent them an email about that?

Tabby

I’m definitely considering it. I don’t mind getting those kinds of bags when I go to tea shops, but they’re really bad to ship with!

kieblera5

You drank my cat! :P (her name is violet)

TeaBrat

they have always used those bags to ship everything, I am not sure why. It was never a problem for me but in this case, I think you should say something.

Tabby

I did and have already heard back. I’ll be editing my post when I get a second.

TeaBrat

I’m glad they are replacing the order for you. :)

Orphia

Yeah, I love S&V’s teas for the most part, but they’re the reason why I keep plenty of tea tins on-hand. Those paper bags just don’t cut it, especially if you’ve got a strongly scented tea.

Guess I was lucky; I had Strawberry Cupcake and Violet in an order together and I didn’t have any issues with cross-contamination. Might be because I’m close enough that I get my order the next day? I don’t know.

John Grebe

Very glad to hear the tea company went out of its way to address the problem. Personally a vendor being very quick to fix a mistake/problem causes me to think even more highly of them than had they just always gotten it right the first time.

This is the first time I’ve ever tried a violet tea. Normally rose and lavender are my florals of choice, but I decided to try something new.

Anyone else remember the violet candy that came in the purple wrapper? It smells like that. As it should, considering it’s violet-flavored. I remember wanting it once as a kid because it was purple (my favorite color, ha) and spitting the first piece I put in my mouth out immediately because it tasted HORRIBLE to me. I figured that now that I’m older, I might be able to appreciate a floral flavor more. Like I said, I adore lavender and rose.

It reminds me of that candy when I add sugar. Not quite as in-your-face VIOLET, but I still remember it. I think I like this because the violet is more muted; too strong and I’d probably be spitting it out too. Probably not the first thing I’d go for when I want something flowery, but I could see myself buying it again on occasion.

1910 tasting notes

I can’t believe this still tastes like Violet! It’s an old sample from Fjellrev, I think. :)

Still candy-soapy-violet. Decent enough with cream, but reminds me of Thrills candy with the soapiness.

Haha. Not really recommended, but interesting to try.

Thank you!

Tabby

I miss violet tea so much! Maybe when spring rolls around…

Anlina

Haha Thrills! “Still tastes like soap!”

OMGsrsly

Thrills are lavender, but the sentiment is similar!

I actually prefer violet candies to violet tea. :)

Such a lovely violet tea, not too strong but not so weak that you cannot taste the violet… it is soft and smooth and innocent in an interesting kind of way. It resteeps really well, with the violet carrying through to subsequent cups. I want to say that when I drink this tea I imagine I am at a child’s tea party using fancy china…again, it has a sweet and innocent quality that is so charming.