Edit tea info Last updated by Kittenna

• “Starting the day off with a sip down. As potent the scent of the root beer flavouring is, I wish it came through more in the actual flavour, or that they used a different base. This one kind of...” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 757 tasting notes
  • “Wow... i have to say this is a totally interesting tea! I'm not sure it's something that I would drink often, but man i could go for this occasionally. Not only does it smell intensely like root...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4840 tasting notes
  • “I've finally determined without a doubt- I like this one much better at 2 minutes. Anything more and it gets heavy, losing the delicate root beer flavour which seems to get lost under whatever base...” Read full tasting note
    indigobloom 1296 tasting notes
  • “This smells *so* strongly like root beer, it's crazy! And the flavour is the most authentic root beer flavour I've tried in a tea yet. I'm drinking this cold because I left it for quite a while,...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2229 tasting notes

From Simpson & Vail

When we were children our favorite summer dessert was rootbeer floats. The earthy delicious taste of root beer combined with sweet, creamy vanilla ice cream was a sheer delight. When we thought of making teas that children might enjoy, root beer quickly came to mind. This extremely aromatic tea will assail your senses with its intoxicatingly sweet aroma. The brewed cup is well balanced and refreshing on the palate.

Ingredients: black teas, sarsaparilla root , and rootbeer flavor.

Brew tea at 212º – steep for 3 minutes.

About Simpson & Vail View company

Starting the day off with a sip down. As potent the scent of the root beer flavouring is, I wish it came through more in the actual flavour, or that they used a different base. This one kind of gets a little dry-tasting, especially when you cold brew it.

But I’m so glad I ordered this one.

Courtney

I do love the smell hah.

Wow… i have to say this is a totally interesting tea! I’m not sure it’s something that I would drink often, but man i could go for this occasionally. Not only does it smell intensely like root beery but the taste is pretty damn close as well! I had some of this hot and then it accidently was left to cool right off while i was on a call. I can say, cold, this is VERY much like root beer. Hot, it’s still much like root beer but a little less so. Either way, if you’re looking for a root beer tea, this is it! :)

tattooed_tea

Have you had the DAVIDsTEA root beer float? I’m wondering how they compare.

I haven’t but Kittenna has and says this one is better than DT and 52 teas butter beer if i recall correctly.

Indigobloom

This is on my to buy list! can’t wait to try it with fizzy water in the summer :P

Lol crazy girl!

Indigobloom

always!! heh

I’ve finally determined without a doubt- I like this one much better at 2 minutes. Anything more and it gets heavy, losing the delicate root beer flavour which seems to get lost under whatever base is used. Makes for a lighter cup but I kinda like it that way :)
Great with or without a pinch of sugar!

This smells so strongly like root beer, it’s crazy! And the flavour is the most authentic root beer flavour I’ve tried in a tea yet. I’m drinking this cold because I left it for quite a while, and I think it’s great this way, but I should try it hot as well.

The only downside to this tea is that although I like root beer, I don’t think this is a tea I’d want to drink too often.

CHAroma

Even more authentic than Butterbeer? That’s hard to believe.

Kittenna

I am drinking a cup of Butterbeer right now, and yep, I think S&V’s wins on that front! The Butterbeer is more caramelly and… sophisticated, IMO, while the S&V version is much more like pop. Both blow the DavidsTea version away though.

CHAroma

Interesting. Thanks for the tip!

Received this in a swap from Courtney. Thanks so much. This was one of the first teas I ever put on my steepster wishlist.

The dry tea smells super delicious. Sweet and creamy, thick, foamy rootbeer. Unfortunately, the brewed tea does not live up to the deliciousness of the smell. I love root beer, I will lean towards more of an A and W rootbeer or a sasparilla vs. a Barqs, but its all good. I have also tried many a rootbeer tea.

This one is ok. It is quite flat in taste. There is none of that spark that rootbeer usually has. It seems to have some root, but not so much beer. I did add a few lumps of rock sugar, but it seemed to sweeten the tea only minimally. Maybe it needed much more. There is some thickness to the tea. It is not terribly creamy but there is a distinct vanilla taste. It is much more rootbeer-like after it cools. I do have a cup cold brewing as I type, for later today.

I have tried other S & V teas before, and the black tea base just doesn’t seem to work for me.

Thanks so much Courtney for letting me try this tea.

This was my first tasting note in the new format, and I don’t like it. Call me a grumpy, old fashioned steepsterite, but it just seemed quite complicated to write what should bave been a quick note. I also don’t like how complicated it is to try to review your note immediately after saving it. Just show it to me all at one time.

Jeez…I apparently have not had enough tea today :)

Edit: I made this as a cold brew. It brewed for about 6 hours. 1.5 tsp in 10 oz of water. I added about 1 tsp of white sugar. I also made this as a tea soda by adding about 1/2 cup of Perrier. It is ok. Better cold than hot. There is strong vanilla and a very bite-y rootbeer taste. It is quite watered down but I anticipated that due to the steeping parameters I used and adding the Perrier.

Courtney

Aw sorry this one didn’t work out so well.

Lala

That’s ok. It is always worth it to try a tea. You never know until you try. I am obviously a bit of a rootbeer snob so it was probably me and not the tea. :)

Iced. With sweetened condensed milk.

Do it. Actually, try it with any black tea you can brew very strong. I love this in the summer, even though it isn’t the most healthy. :)

It is making me crave a root beer float, though. Ohh, that would be so good with fancy root beer and coconut “frozen dessert”.

(Steeped in 8 oz, added 2 tsp sweetened condensed milk, poured over enough ice to chill it thoroughly. I use mugs for this as I’ve had too many glass things break.)

Edit: Thank you, Fjellrev!!

Suziqzer

I may have to try that :)

OMGsrsly

Doooo! I have a few teas I really like iced this way. Fruity ones, desserty ones, etc. :) (Oh, if I didn’t need to stop with the caffeine I’d try with mango. Yum!)

Amariel

I did this with Oh Canada. OMG, so yummy!

OMGsrsly

I’m going to be doing this with All The Teas! because I have a whole tin of sweetened condensed milk in the fridge. :)

Bear With Me

Ooooh!!! I may need to do a Simpson & Vail order soon! I’ve been searching for a good root beer tea since DAVIDs discontinued root beer float (and I’m hoarding the last little bit of what I have til I find a replacement), and upon looking at their site there’s a TON I want to try! WOO! Thanks for the head’s up!!!!

OMGsrsly

A lot of their stuff is pretty good. And it’s certainly reasonable. :) This is one I think I’d want more of. This and Gingerbread.

Amariel

I think Butiki has a Root Beer honeybush still.

OMGsrsly

Yes they do! And I like it a lot.

Had to try this after the root beer debate from Butiki’s lovely honeybush blend, just to see how it measures up.

First off, this is a super fragrant tea. It smells strongly of root beer, and it needs to be quarantined from the rest of the teas. Steeped, it smells less of root beer, however still pleasantly so.

Steeped, I find it less amazing than Butiki’s offering. Butiki’s is creamier, which is a flavor/feel that I absolutely adore, especially with a root beer -flavored tea. I must admit though, this gets creamier and even better tasting as it cools; hot, it’s just okay.

Fjellrev

I totally agree.

jessiwrites

I find that many S&V teas taste better as they cool. I don’t mind this, I prefer to drink my tea slightly warmer than room temperature.

Having this lovely tea as a bit of a pick-me-up. I took a break to throw ingredients in the crockpot for chicken tortilla soup, but I’m back to work here now. I feel like I managed to get a substantial amount done today. I still have a good hour to get some more done too, before I start falling asleep at my computer.

I keep this tea in a plastic bag, inside a tin to keep the scent from leeching out. The scent is wonderful, and so very root beer-esque, but not all my teas need to smell like that! I think S&V teas lose their potency a little quicker than other teas, but they all start out incredibly potent smelling, so I don’t really mind.

Kat_Maria

Chicken tortilla soup! * drools*

Hello.Kiki

The bag inside the tin is a good idea!

Courtney

Kat_Maria the crockpot is the best too, just throw it in and forget about it!

Hello.Kiki it’s the scent definitely seeps through the bag, but I’m hoping when I perhaps clean that tin out it’ll be easier since the leaves never actually touch it hah. :)

OMGsrsly

I’ve started putting sandwich bags inside my tins. It does make cleanup much easier!

Lynxiebrat

lol…my problem with that is that then you can’t fit as much tea inside! what kind of bags? like cheap and thin sandwich bags?

To say this smells exactly like root beer is an understatement. I could smell this tea before I even opened the box it was shipped in. It is currently making my office smell like root beer. It took me a while to convince myself that it wouldn’t be weird to drink this hot, because hot root beer is kind of a strange thought. But I finally brewed it and it’s good. The smell of this tea is stronger than the taste which is a little bit disappointing. But it IS delicious. I can’t wait to make this iced.

“Holy crap, root beer tea!”

No, seriously, if you’re looking for a non root beer drink that tastes and smells (and boy does it smell strong) as much like root beer as something that’s not root beer could ever possibly taste or smell, you found it!

I had wanted to try this for awhile, so thank you Courtney for sending some!
I had to separate it from all my other teas because the smell is that potent! Nuts!

I drank this on a walk with my baby, hot, in my travel mug.
It was very tasty.

Though in hindsight, I’m not entirely sure I ever need to drink hot root beer. So the rest will be cold brewed.

I kind of regret not ordering this with my one and only S&V order but I probably wouldn’t drink it too often anyway.

Super delish though! Yum!

Courtney

I hope I packaged this one well enough to not contaminate the other teas. I seriously considered sending it in it’s own envelope haha. I’m glad you enjoyed it though!