Creamy Earl Grey

Edit tea info Last updated by wheezybee
Boiling 3 min, 45 sec 25 oz / 750 ml

• “Crazy, I'm sipping this down already. Between overleafing a bit the first and only time I had it hot, and cold brewing it twice (3 litres total), the 50g are already gone. This makes a decent...” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 826 tasting notes
  • “I had a great time reviewing this sample, and it is one of the best Earl Grey creams I've come across during this project. The cream is the most prominent note in its flavor, but it still manages...” Read full tasting note
    wheezybee 251 tasting notes
  • “I think this is the last of my Simpson & Vail Earl Greys. It has a lot in common with the other two. Usually I smell bergamot in Earl Grey dry leaf, sometimes eye-wateringly so, but whatever I...” Read full tasting note
    __Morgana__ 953 tasting notes

From Simpson & Vail

This variation of an Earl Grey blend has rapidly become a best seller! The tantalizing, heady aroma of this blend and with the smooth, creamy flavor that lingers on the taste buds combines to create a delicious sensory delight.

Earl Grey tea is a favorite with bakers in many culinary recipes. It goes especially well with cakes, cookies, confections and any recipe with chocolate!

Brew tea at 212º – steep for 3 minutes.

Certified Kosher

About Simpson & Vail View company

Crazy, I’m sipping this down already. Between overleafing a bit the first and only time I had it hot, and cold brewing it twice (3 litres total), the 50g are already gone.

This makes a decent cold brew, but not amazing in any way. The creaminess comes out more here but I’m not crazy over the base. There’s some astringency going on and the bergamot note is a little muddled. One less package off my table since I still don’t know where I’m going to store all the new stuff.

I had a great time reviewing this sample, and it is one of the best Earl Grey creams I’ve come across during this project. The cream is the most prominent note in its flavor, but it still manages not to drown the traditional Earl Grey flavor profile like so many others do.

It’s blend is very smooth and avoids nearly any of the usual dry mouth sensation that seems to go hand-in-hand with Earl Grey. Overall this was a very enjoyable tea, and I look forward to sharing the rest of the sample at work!

You can read my full review here:

Usually I smell bergamot in Earl Grey dry leaf, sometimes eye-wateringly so, but whatever I smell usually smooths out and becomes must more mellow after steeping. I don’t smell bergamot in this dry leaf, unless it is the vaguely floral scent I’m smelling. I don’t smell citrus. I don’t really smell vanilla either. But I do smell a nice, solid, earthy black tea.

That tea also takes center stage in the aroma after steeping. It’s malty and sweet which makes me think there may be some Chinese black tea in the blend and I suspect there is some Ceylon because of the color. It has a deep red, almost garnet liquor. The description doesn’t say what sort of black tea is in the blend, but I am guessing it is similar to what is in the Earl Grey Aromatic, which contains both Ceylon and Chinese Blacks, as well as Assam and Darjeeling. I don’t get the heft of Assam here, but perhaps that’s the influence of the cream (even though I don’t smell cream).

In flavor, this is a tasty, sweet, medium-full bodied black tea with a floral note. Because I don’t really get a distinctive bergamot flavor, It doesn’t really taste like an Earl Grey to me, but then, neither did the S&V plain Earl Grey. I’m also not really tasting cream, which makes me want to do a side by side between this and the S&V non-creamy Earl.

Essentially, I have the same impression of this as an Earl Grey crème that I had of its sibling as an Earl Grey, which is to say I think the tea is lovely but it doesn’t really seem to meet the criteria for an Earl Grey, with the additional point that I don’t really get the crème either. Maybe my taster is off. I’ll try it side by side another time and see what happens. For now, rating it the same as its sibling.