Chai Chocolate

Black Chai Blend
Black Tea, Natural Chocolate Flavor, Natural Spice Flavour, Organic Anise Seeds, Organic Cardamon Seeds, Organic Cinnamon Pieces, Organic Cloves
Anise, Chocolate, Cinnamon, Cloves, Nutmeg
Bulk, Loose Leaf
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by MissB

• “Drinking this with a bit of almond milk and brown sugar today. I still can't really smell, but I'm determined to drink sample sizes. With the almond milk and brown sugar, this is pretty good. No,...” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 1473 tasting notes
  • “I'd pulled this out to share with a fellow Steepsterite, so I thought it was high time I tried it myself. ;) Very chocolatey, although the chai definitely comes first. I'd say this is my favorite...” Read full tasting note
    MissB_Tea 1116 tasting notes
  • “Just a quick question to all the migraine sufferers out there: do you ever get a runny nose or teary eyes? I experienced another headache episode last night, a few days after the last one, and was...” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 780 tasting notes
  • “Out of my *MissB* box of insanely awesome tea, I chose this for my mid-afternoon cup (THANK YOU, *MissB*!!!). I didn't make a true chai with it, but instead just added milk and sugar...and holy...” Read full tasting note
    deliriumsfrogs 55 tasting notes

From Simpson & Vail

Chai Masala (Spiced Tea) is a tea blend with origins in India. It is traditionally a mix of black tea and spices that is steeped in milk with sweeteners added to it. For this blend, we’ve taken our popular Chai tea blend and added the rich, decadent flavor of chocolate. This tea brews to an amber cup with a spicy aroma and a taste that is spicy with chocolate notes. This blend is a perfect balance between some of our favorite flavors!

Ingredients: Black teas, organic cinnamon pieces, organic cloves, organic cardamom seeds, organic anise seeds, natural spice flavors and chocolate flavor.

Brew tea at 212º – steep for 3 minutes.

Certified Kosher.

About Simpson & Vail View company

Drinking this with a bit of almond milk and brown sugar today. I still can’t really smell, but I’m determined to drink sample sizes.

With the almond milk and brown sugar, this is pretty good. No, the chocolate flavouring isn’t my favourite, but I’m enjoying it! I am finding these Simpson and Vail teas are better with a little extra leaf. Which means my next cup will be a blend!

Thank you, Fjellrev!

Flavors: Chocolate

I’d pulled this out to share with a fellow Steepsterite, so I thought it was high time I tried it myself. ;) Very chocolatey, although the chai definitely comes first. I’d say this is my favorite chocolate chai to date, and one of my favorite chais so far – only Chandernagor from Mariage Frères tops it at this point, for me. It holds up beautifully to cream – hell, it’s better made as a proper chai than a mere tea with some cream added to it. Although I would prefer a bit more chocolate, I do really enjoy this, and am glad I have about an ounce or so to play with.

Flavors: Anise, Chocolate, Cinnamon, Cloves, Nutmeg

Suziqzer

Love Chai.. Haven’t tried one with chocolate … Interesting pairing.

OMGsrsly

It surprised me with how much chocolate there was. I’ll have to make the last of mine in almond milk. :)

Suziqzer

Hmm.. might have to add this one to my shopping list seeing as we have 2 thumbs up here & it sounds yummy.

Just a quick question to all the migraine sufferers out there: do you ever get a runny nose or teary eyes? I experienced another headache episode last night, a few days after the last one, and was even worse this time, with the aforementioned symptoms. Apparently these symptoms are more common amongst cluster headache sufferers (which is even more alarming) but I was wondering if this is perhaps the beginning of a migraine chapter in my life, or even scarier, a cluster headache chapter.

Regarding the tea, I’m kind of a moron for choosing the chocolate chai and not the vanilla. I kept wavering on this one as I was checking out, because I already had so many other chocolate teas in my basket and was afraid they’d all taste similar. What if I didn’t like their chocolate note, which as we know is a possibility when you order from certain companies? My instincts were right and I’m not too crazy over their chocolate note. It’s a little on the artificial side and makes everything chocolate-related taste similar.

The most prominent spices in here are the cinnamon and clove, at least for me. But that pesky chocolate note is right up in the spices’ faces being a super uncool bully. If you like S&V’s chocolate note, then you win, because it is indeed quite noticeable in this blend. For me, though, the more I think about it, the more it tastes like cheap waxy chocolate. Maybe that’s it. It’s not bad in some of the other blends but there’s something about it, especially when combined with spices, that weirds me out.

Should have gotten the vanilla chai. I need some cheese with that whine.

TheTeaFairy

I also get the teary eyes, and nausea which is the worst…but never a runny nose, that one is new to me and i’ll leave it to you, lol!
Hope there are no next one for you any time soon, migraines really suck!

Fjellrev

Thanks! I’m sorry you experience migraines. I hope you don’t get them too often. I too have been experiencing nausea alongside other symptoms.

TheTeaFairy

I’ve been having them for many years now…as how often, it depends it’s never the same. There are so many unknown factors, right? How long have you been suffering from migraines and do you know exactly what’s causing yours?

MissLena

I sometimes get a slighty runny nose, it seems more that my whole sinuses are affected on the side I have the headache, like my nose will sometimes be plugged and my ears as well, then my nose will run a bit. My migraines seem to be directly related to the weather/barometric pressure, but they could be from other factors as well. I also get a bit of nausea. I drink peppermint tea when I am having one, it seems to help a lot!

Fjellrev

Thank you both for your input! It’s good to know (but equally disturbing) that migraines can indeed affect one’s sinuses. Wow. I think it’s safe for me to say I’ve been getting migraines instead of cluster headaches then.

I hope the both of you have at least developed a strategy to try to stop them in their tracks. The peppermint tea idea sounds like it’s worth trying.

Out of my MissB box of insanely awesome tea, I chose this for my mid-afternoon cup (THANK YOU, MissB!!!). I didn’t make a true chai with it, but instead just added milk and sugar…and holy moley was it delicious.
I’m sure you could fancy it up, steaming your milk and all that (and maybe I’ll do that next time, since ifjuly taught me that neato frothed milk in a jar trick…), but this was so good.
I found that I had downed my first cup before I knew it, unable to hold back from the deliciousness. I guess I was in a chocolate chai mood…. So, I resteeped, and got to do it all over again. :)
Speaking of chocolate—the chocolate is really nice in this. I love how it’s balanced with the spice…nothing fighting, or arguing for center stage..everything just getting along swimmingly in your tea cup, to the delight of my taste buds.
Thank you so much for sending this my way, MissB!

Suziqzer

I haven’t got this one on my list for when I order from them. Sounds like it should be!

DeliriumsFrogs

It was really yummy. Admittedly, I’m not an expert on chais, but I loved the balance of this…the spices were strong enough without being too overpowering, and the added chocolate note was really nice. I’m going to have to add this to my ‘to buy’ list. :)

I made this tea with German rock sugar and some cream. It has a nice little spice to it, but it is not really chocolatey. I think maybe my tastebuds are use to coffee mochas, so this is a lot more mild. Maybe I just needed more of a kick this morning.