Jun Chiyabari Second Flush Nepal

Edit tea info Last updated by K S

• “Sitting in a warm house while rain is causing some grassy spots to emerge beneath the snow cover. I'm practicing Christmas songs on guitar for church tomorrow, checking Steepster, and sipping a...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1160 tasting notes
  • “Backlog: Although not technically a Darjeeling, it bears several striking resemblances to a Darjeeling. It still has that crisp, light flavor that Darjeeling is known for, and that sweet,...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4227 tasting notes
  • “Thanks, Nicole Martin for this tea! This starts off dark and vegetal, tasting very strongly of creamy green beans and earthy mushrooms. As it cools, it starts to taste fruitier and reminds me...” Read full tasting note
    fuzzy_peachkin 464 tasting notes
  • “Additional notes: Well, today has been a tea day of trying teas I thought needed working with.. their previous sippings needing fine tuning. THIS one was PERFECT the first time I had it six...” Read full tasting note
    Tea Sipper 1091 tasting notes

From Single Origin Teas

Jun Chiyabari, a neighbor to the famous Darjeeling tea province, offers truly excellent tea. Notes of maple and floral undertones of rose bring a unique touch. One of the smaller tea estates at around 123 acres, and one of the youngest – planted in 2002! – Jun Chiyabari offers a delicious tea that highlights how high altitude growing can bring out delightful flavors if processed correctly.

Produced in hand-rolled batches with an exemplary level of care, the leaves are nicely curled, and provide a prime example of how high quality tea is not limited to the Darjeeling gardens.

About Single Origin Teas View company

Sitting in a warm house while rain is causing some grassy spots to emerge beneath the snow cover. I’m practicing Christmas songs on guitar for church tomorrow, checking Steepster, and sipping a very pleasant tea. Feeling blessed.

Terri HarpLady

My xmas gig season is starting to draw to a close. I’ve gotta see if I can find some scottish xmas tunes, for one of the xmas eve services I’m doing.

K S

From a quick search you aren’t going to find any. If my search is correct Christmas Day was a normal working day in Scotland until the 1960s and even into the 1970s in some areas.

Backlog:

Although not technically a Darjeeling, it bears several striking resemblances to a Darjeeling. It still has that crisp, light flavor that Darjeeling is known for, and that sweet, wine-like quality.

Less muscatel than is typically found in a Darjeeling, though. A hint of lemon toward the finish.

Notes of rose! These surprised me. A sweet, autumnal taste that resembles maple.

A really, really good tea. I think that this was my favorite that I tried from Single Origin Teas thus far.

Here’s my full-length review: http://sororiteasisters.com/2013/10/28/jun-chiyabari-second-flush-nepal-black-tea-single-origin-teas/

Thanks, Nicole Martin for this tea!

This starts off dark and vegetal, tasting very strongly of creamy green beans and earthy mushrooms. As it cools, it starts to taste fruitier and reminds me of putting apricots in red wine- still dark and earthy, but with a little bit of citric brightness peaking out.

Additional notes: Well, today has been a tea day of trying teas I thought needed working with.. their previous sippings needing fine tuning. THIS one was PERFECT the first time I had it six months ago, it would win my ‘best Not-Darjeeling yet tasting like a Darjeeling’ award. I had it a month or so ago and the flavor was completely different. Not bad, just faded, plainer tasting, lost the magic. I’m not sure if I just brewed the perfect cup the first time OR the non-airtight packaging ruined this tea (that Single Origin sends their teas in), or this one just ages very very fast (I’ve had this one only a little over six months). So here goes: I wanted to try slightly above and below parameters from the first tasting notes, since the last time trying to follow those tasting notes didn’t work out:

Steep #1 // 16 min after boiling // 2 min
Flavor is definitely not like the first time. It’s so muted! Disappointing. It pretty much tastes just like a month ago.

Steep #2 // 5 min after boiling // 4 min
This cup isn’t much better than the last. The stone fruits I was noticing when this tea was new are completely gone. It tastes like one of those creamed corn flavored teas now. I’m pretty sure this has aged. I think it wins the “ages too fast” award. I’d LOVE to stock this in my cupboard at all times, but only if the flavor remained like the first magical cup. Maybe putting the tea in an airtight container would have helped? Single Origin sends it in a brown paper fold-over flap pouch with a clear window (at least they did with the samples six months ago). But I don’t think I’d want to stock something if I couldn’t even drink the sample quick enough. I’m very grateful the first cup I had was so nice though. One of my favorite cups of tea. Lesson learned: drink your favorite teas asap.

Single Origin Teas

Hello, I’m sorry to hear about that. We noticed the same thing and switched our packaging in February to an air-tight/ziplock pouch.

We had chosen our original packaging because 1.) it was completely bio-degradable 2.) It was manufactured in the United States 3.) It was made out of recycled materials.

But as you pointed out, it wasn’t air-tight and so we decided to change. Unfortunately our new packaging isn’t as bio-degradable (but this is a small price to pay for preserving the quality better!).

We hope in the future you will give us another chance. :)

Tea Sipper

Ah, I’m glad you noticed it as well. So it wasn’t that I was steeping it differently. I completely understand your reasoning for the original packaging, but if the tea was losing its flavor so fast, it was better to change. I will definitely not give up on this amazing tea, especially since there is new packaging. ONE day I will order from Single Origin!

Single Origin Teas

Glad to hear that. :) We are waiting on the last samples of South Indian first flushes to arrive, but we should be getting in some exciting new teas!

A very nice tea. Much like a Darjeeling, but not as thick as I think of second flushes as being. It’s very light and mildly vegetal but with a bit of the dryness of Darjeeling in the background. I’ll have to try again and pay a bit more attention to steeping time. I think I did this about 3 1/2 minutes but it could have been longer. I was also cleaning the cat water fountain and may have gotten a bit distracted… :)

Thanks, James, for putting this in with my sample bag. It’s one I’d drink again. I’ll bet when I share this with my Darjeeling fan coworker, he’ll like it as well.

gah. Today has been a rough day (or more of last night was), haven’t really felt like much has gone my way…and then bam, I make a perfect pot of tea.

Honestly this tea is like drinking a non-alcoholic wine, while I was in a rose garden. Its got wonderful taste of muscatel and floral notes. I can’t write properly about this tea I’m in love with it so much.

So revising my previous review and bumping up a couple points because perfect pot of tea + great tea = very happy me.